What if you don't plan to go back to work after having baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
I'm currently 3 months pregnant. I also have a 4 year old dd and work full time. I know that after dc #2 is born I don't want to return to work. I have a question about family leave. Do I qualify for family leave/ disability if I do not plan on going back to work. I'm in CA and any information would be appreciated. Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM

Most family leave in the US is unpaid so I don't think it would matter. If you get paid leave, I think I would not let them know you weren't coming back until a couple weeks before you were due to return. Lots of mamas change their minds about going back after the baby is born.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#3 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM

I wasn't certain what I was going to do. I figured I would go back half-time. I asked HR what would happen if I decided not to come back. I wanted to know if I would have to pay anything back. They said I would simply end my employment on the last day of my leave. I would not have to pay back the short term disability (which I had been paying insurance premiums towards and was entitled to take according to hr) or the health insurance benefits paid by my employer.
When I made the decision to not even come back half-time, they told me to bill out all my sick time and emergency time for the year before officially resigning because they could only issue me a check for the unused vacation. I had not planned on billing any of the sick time since I only worked a partial year, but they told me to take it after the std was over.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM

Most jobs that do provide paid leave require you to return to work (though the length of return time varies), or else requires you to pay back anything you earned while on leave. My work requires you to just return to work - period - no time limit, so if I can possibly find another job (can't afford to not work at all) before I go back, I will return to work for just a day so I won't have to pay back the paid leave money I received.

If it's unpaid leave (FMLA), it really doesn't matter, because all that does is offer you job protection, i.e. they can't fire you for being out after giving birth unless you go beyond the allowable time frame.

-
#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 04:10 PM

In CA you do get paid family leave:
http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/Paid_Family_Leave.htm

I most likely won't be going back to work after this baby is born. From what I understand employment ends when you let them know you aren't coming back, but I'll verify with my HR to check to see if I have to pay anything back if I don't return. It's pretty common where I work to leave during your leave. I'll apply for CA paid leave as well.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
In CA the money comes from disability (36weeks until 6-8 weeks after) and then FMLA. You paid into this plan so you don't have to pay it back.
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In CA the money comes from disability (36weeks until 6-8 weeks after) and then FMLA. You paid into this plan so you don't have to pay it back.
But do I still qualify if I tell them that I'm not coming back? What should I say if they ask me? I am a teacher at a small preschool so I want to give them a chance to find another teacher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page