May seem frivolous, but WOHM moms, what do you do with your hair every day?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have thick curly hair, and most I do the curly girl thing, pulling the front half back with (a lot) of pins on the non-washing day. Right now it's between my chin and shoulder, which is the no-mans lands for me for looking professional. If time is the biggest factor, I'd say get your hair long enough to be able to pull it back in a twist, or go for the pixie.

I've had the super short cut, and I LOVED it. Particularly for the transformation from longer to short, find someone really really good. Then expect a haircut every 4-6 weeks, which is the downside. But, man, it's amazing to be able to wash, throw some product in, and be out the door. (Or just spritz w/ water.) I also loved not having wet hair all the time.

Oh, and I found that earrings and mascara became a lot more important to looking pulled-together when the hair was really short.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 AM

When I had hair I wore a bun. They look nice with pearls.

+ + =
Old 06-19-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
On shampoo day, I wear it down (it's straight).

On 2nd day (non-shampoo day), it goes back in a ponytail.
This is me also
I wash it every other day, let it air dry and brush it. On the second day I have a ponytail. My hair is fine and little below the shoulders.

I am an engineer so it is ok for work, but I would like to do something else sometime. However I have 2 small kids and work full time, so I'll stick with my current routine for a while.

Carma
Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
So this might seem frivolous!
I don't think it's frivolous because people judge others with how they look....just the way it is.

I got my hair cut short and it's really cute and stylish and EASY! I have it cut in short layers in the back and then it falls down longer in the front. I wash and blow dry at night so in the morning all I need to do is flat iron it and rub some texture cream through it real quick. Even if I don't flat iron it (my hair is kinda wavy) it still looks cute

It looks kinda like this (but my hair is not that thin or straight and mine is actually cut shorter at that neckline so it has that really cool v-line in the back):
http://www.4hairstyles.com/short/bob/17.htm

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 AM

I'm in the army and wear my hair in a bun. I just slick it back into a ponytail and twist it around on itself while it is still wet. I'd love to get it cut and styled, then think "what's the point?" since I'd just have to wear it up.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:52 AM

I have thick curly hair that can get frizzy and loves to "fly away". I have a strong sensory aversion to product, but do use it sometimes.

When I wash my hair, I blow dry my bangs straight (flat iron damages too much, makes it look too different from the rest of my hair), with or without a little styling lotion. Then I use a diffuser to dry the long part to keep the curl, and either put it in a ponytail, or take a small part of my hair near my ears, twist it, and put it back with a barrette. It looks a little hippie-ish, but I teach elementary, so I don't have to be totally in fashion. I think it's cute, and doesn't look frumpy.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to suggest a short haircut. Wash and wear can be quite sexy with the right cut to flatter your face!

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 AM

Ponytail or a bun, but then again, I'm a teacher, so it's not as dressy of an environment.

From one frizz-head to another: how frizzy is it? Is it better if you sleep on it? I find that my hair is smoother on days that I don't wash my hair. If this works, can you wash it the night before?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Banned

I'm a librarian so I just can't wear a bun on principal! lol

Seriously though, I also have a sort cut because it is just wash and go. My hair is thick so I actually get too much volume if I blow dry. For frizz I use Neutrogena Triple Moisture® Healing Shine Serum I can't vouche for its "naturalness" but it works wonders. Just put it in wet and go.

Also I have a 50 minute comute so I have time to get to work without wet hair.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claras_mom View Post
I agree with Lynn about getting a cut that works for just going. I don't have time to mess with styling.

Bottom line - in your place, I'd get a really good haircut, pixie or otherwise, and let it air dry. If you don't want to have to mess with product, make sure you don't let the stylist use it.
:

I call mine "goop and go" -- it is very short, but with some feminine fullness at the top and back and wisps around my ears. I wash daily, goop and style and go -- under a minute. Haven't used a blow dryer in years except to defrost the freezer at my office this past week. Wouldn't have it any other way.

And like others I accessorize: pins, scarves, nice earrings. Makes a diff.

M
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have long curly (almost frizzy - weather dependent) hair that has a mind of its own. So I go with that. I at least wet it every morning and then I use Giovanni's Frizz B Gone product - only 3-4 drops so one tiny (expensive) bottle lasts surprisingly long.

But if you do get a short cut, make sure you have a good stylist. From past experience (my short hair days), short cuts are harder to fix than long trims.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Ooh, what a great thread. I constantly dream about doing "something" with my hair. I would love to look polished and professional, but I'm afraid I'm stuck at frazzled and dowdy. Right now my hair is boring mousy brown, longish (maybe 3-4 inches past shoulder length), and stick straight. I twist it up everyday into bun and secure with a claw clip thingie.

I recently bought a few cool headwraps that look like headbands, but they're soft and flexible. But I can't figure out how to wear them because my hair is so flat and straight and I can't seem to get that fullness behind the headband.

My stylist talked me out of a bob because she said it would be more work than having long hair to just pull it back.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Get an easy to maintain haircut... I have the post partum issues with my hair too so I just have a layered haircut that integrates the odd lengths of the hair. WIth a good hair cut my morning routine is literally brushing my hair in the car while at stop lights. I wont do make up in the car because that is really a hazard but brushing my hair in the car works fine and it looks good. If I have a special thing where I have to look extra nice I sleep with rollers and take those out in the morning while doing other stuff. Yes sometimes I am wearing half a head of rollers because it might take me all morning to get them out while getting the kids up and other things.

I do not dry my hair with a blowdrier, I found that it made my hair look worse post partum and that it took too long and dried out my hair. I also no poo so my hair has become really low maintenance after that.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 PM

got long curly hair... ponytail. nothing else!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Great thread. I have super-thick hair and it takes a looong time to do anything with it. It looks best when it's blown-out, but it takes forever and at the end, my arms are exhausted. I'm actually considering paying my stylist the $30 it would be to get it washed and blown out once a week. Sounds ridiculous, I know, but I feel so much better when my hair looks "done." I can stretch a blowout for at least 4 days. Hmmm...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I did it!!

Chopped it all off! The back and sides are gone....totally razored off. The top is a little longer with side swept bangs. I thought I would freak out and get cold feet, but the stylist waded right in there and lopped it all off. I like it. It took me less than 5 minutes this morning to put product in, comb it, and go! I will say though that I don't really feel like myself...my old all one length bob was kind of juvenile...I feel sorta old now. But now that I know short is good, I can play with it. :>
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Woo hoo! Congratulations! (Wait, any pics??)
Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 AM

I've got long, curly hair. I work two days a week so one of those I wash and go to work with it mostly wet and the other day I pull back in a loose, low ponytail.

My only tip on shortening the morning routine is this: strap both kids in their car seats, sit in driver's seat and apply make-up, then go.

ETA: Just saw that you did it!! Pics please!

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 AM

Oops - Double post
Old 06-25-2009, 01:58 AM

OP- Get your hair permanently straightened at a Japanese or Korean salon. You can just wash and go. I had my hair straightened when I lived in Korea and it was awesome! It is worth the money.

ETA- I just saw your post about getting your hair cut. Congrats!

User Tag List