How close to your due date did you work? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I worked & attended college classes up until 3 days before I went into labor {water broke 2 days before labor started}, and went back to classes 6 days after DD was born. I did spotty attendance at my college classes for the first month or so with my professor's blessings.

Work made me wait until I was cleared to return to work {at my 6 week PP visit} before I could come back otherwise I would have been back to work much sooner.
#32 of 57 Old 06-20-2009, 04:23 PM

I worked until 1 week before due date, but then had a medical induction, so I worked friday and ended up going into the hospital monday, so no time off really. I went back to work a few days before the 1st birthday. The second time I took 4 weeks of before, really enjoyed the end of my pregnancy as was more rested, I went over due so ended up being about 5 1/2 weeks before hand, therefore I had to return to work when baby was 10.5 months old, whcih wasn't great. It really is a catch 22 situation. The other thing to consider is that in alberta it is a lot harder to get a daycare spot for a child under 13 months and under 17 or 18 months? those are the months in which the adult to child ratios change so some daycare only take from 17 or 18+ months, and some are only 13+ months, and it is rare to find under 13 months. We ended up with a dayhome, partly for this reason.
#33 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
Yes, we are really lucky The mom gets 15 weeks of mat leave and then there are 35 weeks of parental leave that can be taken by either parent or split between the two. If you pay into employment insurance (like if you work at a "job" job or if you elect to pay when you're self employed) you get paid EI for the leave. It's less than half what I normally get paid but any money while I'm staying at home is great.
I just wanted to address this as I'm in Canada, albeit, Quebec - which as everyone knows, complicates everything.

Are you sure this is correct? I know that some of this changes from province to province, but I also know that all forms of leave changed around '06/'07 (causing the "baby boom" touted on the CBC). IIRC my DH was able to take a certain portion of paternity leave (5 wks I think?) in addition to having the choice of parental leave that can be taken by either parent, for a combined total of 1 or 2 yrs, provided that you decide at the outset 1) which parent is taking what 2) if you're on the 1 or 2-year plan. In our case it was DH that took the parental leave, I have several female friends (in QC) that took 1 yr., and another that took two (in ON). Taking two years rather than one results in a reduction in the percentage of your original salary vs. one year (which is 80% I think?). Sorry, it was DH that dealt with this.

Maybe it's changed again, but you might want to check this out. If it's like it was when DH and I were going through it, your DH could take the month he wants + 1 wk. as paternity leave since it's 5 wks., and then you could take your full year as the parental leave-taking parent. Both parents can take parental leave but they don't each get the total amount. If you each want to qualify for that, your total time together added up must not exceed the limits - that I am sure about. So, if you picked the 1 yr. leave, you could take 4 mos. and he could take 6 for example for a total of a year.

:
#34 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 12:59 PM

I worked until 40 weeks, 2 days and then it was the weekend and DS was born Sunday morning.
With DD, I worked until 39 weeks, 5 days and went into labor that night after work.

I'm one of those that doesn't see the point in taking time off before the baby comes. I get so little maternity leave that I don't want to waste it waiting. But I also have had pretty good pregnancies and haven't had complications, like swollen feet/ankles etc that would make working more difficult.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#35 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM

i had four months maternity leave total. i wanted to use the bulk of it after baby arrived, so i worked until a week before my due date (dd was born two days before my due date).

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#36 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 09:25 PM

i wanted to work till i went into labor, but my boss really pressured me to set an end date, so i picked 38w, 6d as my last day, and that is when i went into labor (which didn't stop me from working till 8 pm)
#37 of 57 Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbikegrrl View Post
In terms of FMLA, I thought you got 12 weeks no matter what so if you needed to leave work before the baby was born then you had less time afterward...
Yep, and that sucks. I worked up until my due date because I didn't want my FMLA to start before the baby game. I did only work 1/2 days the last week I was at work, but since I used vacation time it didn't count as FMLA. I could've worked all day, but I liked being able to sleep in a little and since my leave replacement was trained I didn't have a lot of work to do for 8 hours. My DD didn't show up until 41 weeks, but I had enough accrued vacation time to cover that week so my leave didn't have to start.

Mama to DD (March 2008) and expecting another breastfed, cloth-diapered little one in Feb 2010.
#38 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post
The other thing to consider is that in alberta it is a lot harder to get a daycare spot for a child under 13 months and under 17 or 18 months?
We live in Calgary and it's almost impossible to get a daycare spot, period, especially in the inner city where we live. We have a fabulous day home for DD right now and in the fall of 2010 when I'm ready to go back to work, her own child and her sister's child are going into grade one .... so two spaces have my name on them : I am concerned about a day home not providing enough structure for a 4yo so I am planning to send her to a nearby preschool as well. Another dayhome mom did this last year and was able to arrange a carpool for her son so she didn't have to leave work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs89 View Post
I just wanted to address this as I'm in Canada, albeit, Quebec - which as everyone knows, complicates everything.

Are you sure this is correct? I know that some of this changes from province to province, but I also know that all forms of leave changed around '06/'07 (causing the "baby boom" touted on the CBC). IIRC my DH was able to take a certain portion of paternity leave (5 wks I think?) in addition to having the choice of parental leave that can be taken by either parent, for a combined total of 1 or 2 yrs, provided that you decide at the outset 1) which parent is taking what 2) if you're on the 1 or 2-year plan. In our case it was DH that took the parental leave, I have several female friends (in QC) that took 1 yr., and another that took two (in ON). Taking two years rather than one results in a reduction in the percentage of your original salary vs. one year (which is 80% I think?). Sorry, it was DH that dealt with this.
I just looked at the booklet linked on this site - http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/...parent/477.asp

I don't think there is a 2-year option or a paternity leave option in Alberta. Do you guys really get 80% of salary . We get the regular EI, which is 60% up to a certain salary and it's capped pretty low. For me it works out to about half.
#39 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 AM

I worked until my due date with both. However, I also went late with both.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#40 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

After reading through this thread I think I am going to reconsider taking a month off before my due date and leave work around 38 weeks.

A lot of the concerns raised about time with the baby and establishing breastfeeding etc. don't apply as much to me as someone dealing with a much shorter leave. Don't get me wrong - time with the baby is still very important to me, but the decision to put a 10.5mo baby vs. 11.5mo baby in daycare is very different than the decision to put a 2mo baby vs. a 3mo baby.

OTOH, I found it very interesting that so many of you worked practically until the day of. That is completely unheard of here and everyone thought I was insane to work until 38weeks. I guess I was feeling kind of entitled to that time beforehand since everybody else gets it. With my last pg there was physically no reason for me to take time any earlier, so hopefully this one will be the same. If I did take extra time beforehand, I don't think I would get to relax anyway ... there will be a 3yo to parent all day!
#41 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM

I worked until four days before my due date, and went in to labor on my due date. In retrospect it would have been nice to have a week or so to spend relaxing. Not that I was doing a lot at work that last month anyway. I would not have been able to make it that long if I had to stand a lot during the day.

#42 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

This is totally individual pregnancy-to-pregnancy. My first, I called them to say I wasn't coming as my baby was coming out. I did not need time off beforehand. My second, I was in school, so that's different...third, my water broke at 7 months so I stopped then.

4 kids under 10
#43 of 57 Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My water broke a few hours after I got home from work at 38w5d so that was my last day. I was a SAHM for my other 2.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#44 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I worked my last day on the day my water broke (it happened at home at night) and I went into labor at 39 weeks. My company doesn't offer any pre-birth leave time--it would have cut into my after-birth leave time and there was no way I was going to waste it before my baby came!

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#45 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I stopped at 37 weeks. I wasplanning to go to 38 weeks but I had the feeling dd was coming a week early (and she came exactly at 39 weeks). My state allows someone to start paid leave at 36 weeks.

With me I wanted the time to wash things, set up her items, clean the house, rest, etc. before she came out.
#46 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Just wanted to reply really quickly.

FYI, I have no children nor am I pregnant (damn) but this is the advice that I got from people at work when I am pregnant. But! I am in Calgary too

They all said hands down wait until you are in labour and then take the time off. I've had more than one person tell me that they just called in "sick" when they were in labour and then gave birth. FWIW we are lifeguards, so we are on our feet all day.
#47 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovedofbast View Post
But! I am in Calgary too

They all said hands down wait until you are in labour and then take the time off. I've had more than one person tell me that they just called in "sick" when they were in labour and then gave birth. FWIW we are lifeguards, so we are on our feet all day.
Last time I was worried that if I didn't give 6 weeks notice (as is required by Alberta labor code) they wouldn't be required to keep my job.
#48 of 57 Old 06-23-2009, 09:53 PM

I was induced with my last pregnancy. I worked that day right up to the induction. I was only given 6 weeks off (unpaid) and was told to return or my job would not be there (small company, exempt from FMLA.) I left at 3pm that day to be induced at 3:30, and was given a huge hassle about leaving work early. Mind you, this was a professional position with a 'reputable' company.

There is very little support for women in the US in terms of maternity leave, and even the leave that is protected (assuming you don't fall through the FMLA cracks) is really a very short time, so I think most women here will work up to or past their due dates.

In other countries, there is greater support and protection for most women, and they may well opt to stop working a few weeks sooner to protect their health as well as that of the child. If I had the option of 11 months, I'd probably plan to stop working about 2 weeks before my edd.

In my current job, I'm not really planning to take much time away, but I'm only in my office part time, and I am able to work from home the rest of the time. I plan to take a couple weeks, then work from home, and as I return to the office, I'll bring the baby with me for a few months.
#49 of 57 Old 07-02-2009, 05:01 AM

I think it depends on your job somewhat. When working on tall ladders with large tools, and hammers, I quit around 4-5 months. Then I worked as a cashier pretty much until the last day.
I agree that I needed the time off after the birth more-both times.
Congratulations!
#50 of 57 Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM

Most women in the US work right up til they give birth because we have no other choice...

I had full plans to work right up til I went into labor, but the last month was increasingly hard for me as I kept getting severe BH no matter how much water I drank, etc...

But I was unbeleivably lucky that I have an AWESOME boss and he cared about my well being and had me work from home whenever I didn't feel up to coming into the office in that last month. Then I was lucky that my due date was on the tail end of our holiday shut down, so I did get a week home without even have to work from home a week before I went into labor.

It just depends on each pregnancy I think. My friend was perfectly healthy and no BH's at the end so she worked right up to the day and was fine.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#51 of 57 Old 07-03-2009, 10:38 PM

I am planning to be off around two weeks before my EDD.

I read something recently (of course can't find it now) that says new moms generally have an easier time recovering/adjusting after birth with some time off before delivery.
#52 of 57 Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM

I worked until I went into labour. I think I would have been totally bored just sitting at home waiting! And I was a lot more productive those last few weeks of pregnancy than I was during the first trimester...
#53 of 57 Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM

My due date is July 30 and I'm working (at home) until July 29. I only have a few months-- I want to spend every second possible with my toddler and new baby!
#54 of 57 Old 07-06-2009, 05:22 PM

I think it all depends on the type of job you have. I worked until delivery (in USA I only have maternity leave), but my job is quite relaxed and could be adjusted to what I could do, at home I would be doing similar things.
In the country I am from originally, 4 weeks before due date is the norm. 6 weeks if there is some sort of minor complication during pregnancy, but it cuts into the total time off. I think one time I have read some research that said that 4 weeks before due date is optimal for health (delivery outcome, mom health, baby health) on average, but it all depends on the type of job (and type of pregnancy).

Carma
#55 of 57 Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 AM

I thought I had it all planned perfectly. I was going to work until I was 39 weeks in my job as an ER nurse and then I'd have 2 weeks to get EVERYTHING ready (1st timers are supposed to go at 41 weeks right?) Not so. Worked until 11pm and woke up at 3am, the day I turned 38 weeks, in labor. I wished I'd had a little more time before to nest. And get a pedicure
#56 of 57 Old 07-08-2009, 08:07 PM

I worked until 36 weeks with #1 (12 hour shifts, on my feet). I think she was positioned oddly because I was soooooo very uncomfortable and desparate to be off work.

#2 I would've gone out earlier but I wanted to train for our transport team which happened when I was 37.5 weeks (very pregnant woman in helicopter=hilarious BTW) With #2 however, i was not uncomfortable in the least. I was still running (literally) to high risk births on my last day of work. You should've seen the looks I got from the L&D patients!
#57 of 57 Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 PM

With my first pregnancy, I was having twins so I left per doctor's orders at 32 weeks (Had the twins at 36 weeks). With my second pregnancy, I left at 37 weeks. Keep in mind, though, I had two toddlers at home and I worked nights. With my last pregnancy, I left work on a Friday and was induced the following Wednesday. With that last pregnancy, my manage pretty much told me to get a note from my midwife so we could get me on sick leave because the nights were getting really hard for me but I had limited vacation time which I wanted to save for after the baby was born to extend my paid leave.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page