Mamas of older babies who pumped at work - ? for you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old was your DC when you were able to stop pumping at work? I'm wondering when I will be able to nurse DD in the morning, have solids hold her throughout the day, and then nurse all night. She is obviously too young now, but I'm thinking it's somewhere around 15 months? What was your experience?

We have a wonderful nursing relationship, I pump enough milk for her while I'm WOH, but I'm just curious as to when solids start making up more of her daily food. FWIW, I only WOH 3 days a week from 9-5.

Maybe I'll X post in Bf'ing.

TIA!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 30 Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM

DD is 15 months and I am still pumping once a day. I think I'll pump until 18 months because she is drinking 5 oz a day which is what I pump while at work. It's still nice to take a break. I tried to stop pumping a couple weeks ago and had a problem with a plugged milk duct so I started back again. Now I don't mind as much because I almost gave it up.

Cloth diapering, Non-Vax, Bedsharing Mama to Maya 3-25-08, Mila 6-28-12 and DP Marc joy.gif

#3 of 30 Old 06-20-2009, 06:48 PM

With ds1 I quit pumping at work at about 12 months (gradually reduced number of pumping sessions) and he kept nursing til he was almost three. (ds2 was a whole different story, quit nursing early for various reasons)

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#4 of 30 Old 06-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I pumped until she was 2yo,* at which point we moved to just nursing IMMEDIATELY upon daycare pickup (right there at daycare), then bedtime, midnight/early morning, and at daycare dropoff in the morning. After another 3-6months we moved to just bedtime/wakeup nursing, and that lasted almost two years. HTH.

*I celebrated the end of my pumping! I despised it. Diligently did it, but ugh!

The only thing you owe to others is to behave with integrity.
#5 of 30 Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 AM

I was going to try to pump until DD turned 2, but over time, my supply at the pump (although not evidently at the breast) was dropping, and DD was happily drinking organic whole milk while I was at work--so it just seemed like my boby and baby were telling me it was time to stop! So, I pumped until she was 17.5 months old. By that time, I was only pumping like 2 oz in one pumping session a day, and it was being mixed with her cereal. Now, we nurse in the morning before work (sometimes once, sometimes twice), right when I get home, at bedtime, and then a couple times during the night (we co-sleep). She eats plenty of solids and some whole milk while I'm at work. And we tend to nurse more on the weekends when we're together all day, and she never complains about my supply (except when AF comes--ugh). HTH!

Wife to DH 6/05 partners.gif and mommy to DD1, born 10/07 dust.gif and DD2, born June 2010 energy.gif, and one cat.gif! We bftoddler.gif, familybed2.gif, and homeschool.gif

#6 of 30 Old 06-21-2009, 10:35 AM

12 months

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#7 of 30 Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 PM

stopped pumping during the work day at 16.5 mos. nursing still going strong at 22 mos., no supply problems.
#8 of 30 Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM

I stopped at 18mos. I pumped and supplemented with organic whole milk from the time I started working at 12mo and after 18mo I was no longer worried about DD weaning too early. I wanted to BF until at least 2yo and I knew DD was interested enough that a little bit less milk wouldn't be the end. She started eating tons of solids as soon as she was at daycare all day so I knew she was well nourished. DD is still nursing at 2.5.
#9 of 30 Old 06-22-2009, 01:14 PM

I stopped pumping at 14 months and we are still nursing around the clock at not-quite-3.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
#10 of 30 Old 06-22-2009, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all these positive stories!
Right now DD is just shy of 9 months. I'm figuring at around 12 months, depending on her solids intake, we'll start by dropping 1 of her 3 bottles that she gets while I work, letting her eat more solids. Is this what you guys did? Eventually, dropping all bottles (or giving bm in a sippy cup)?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#11 of 30 Old 06-22-2009, 04:59 PM

10 months.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#12 of 30 Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

I was pretty much "pumped out" by the time she turned 1. Meaning that I was still pumping but getting very little results. So I stopped pumping and she switched to cows milk for daytime milk needs. However, we continued to nurse until she was about 3 1/2. For about a year after I stopped pumping we would nurse when I got home from work, at bedtime and first thing in the morning. On weekends and days when I didn't work she would often nurse mid-morning and mid-afternoon as well. We dropped daytime nursing at about 2 or 2 1/2 and just did bedtime and mornings until after she was 3. Unfortunately we had to wean suddenly at that point because I had a systemic poisen oak infection that resulted in open sores on my breasts and it just wasn't possible to continue. Otherwise, I'm not sure when we would have stopped.

I confess I was very glad to stop pumping, but also glad that it didn't end our nursing relationship at all.
#13 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

I have been pumping for almost 3 years straight... it gets exhausting after a while.

WIth my first I became pregnant at around 11 months so I had to keep it up to keep up my supply. My second is 11 months old and I think that I will stop when he is roughly 15-18 mos depending on how he is doing with solids. We we still nurse until he is 18 years old I am sure but we can do that at home...

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#14 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM

DS is just over 1 year. I pumped 2x a day at my 9-5 job until he was about 10 months and loving lots of solids, then began pumping just once. I'm still getting about 6-8 oz from the one pumping session (pumping both boobs at once), and DS still loves nursing whenever we're together.

Our nursing schedule is pretty consistent: nurse in the morning pre-sitter, then once immediately when I get home, after dinner, then nurse down at night, and a couple of times during the night (not really awake enough to count), then a good nurse about 4-5am, then repeat.

HTH!
#15 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 09:13 PM

I have a flexible schedule and usually try to be home for naptime so I won't have to pump. Occasionally, though, on a busy, busy day, I still pump--maybe once every few months. DS will be 2 next month. He still nurses 2-3x per night, sometimes more--it's the only thing that seems to help his teething. I can go 5-6 hours without nursing or pumping, but that's about it before I start getting engorged, tingly and milk-brained.
#16 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 PM

I stopped at 12 months and we are still nursing at almost 2 1/2. Until about 2 we nursed in the AM, nursed as soon as I got to the sitters after work, then again when we got home, and before bed (and often over night a couple times). Around 2 I stopped offering at the sitters and now it's just bedtime and morning time.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#17 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Thanks for all these positive stories!
Right now DD is just shy of 9 months. I'm figuring at around 12 months, depending on her solids intake, we'll start by dropping 1 of her 3 bottles that she gets while I work, letting her eat more solids. Is this what you guys did? Eventually, dropping all bottles (or giving bm in a sippy cup)?
i gave her just EBM to drink at sch until 16.5 mos., when i stopped pumping but still had a stash. at 18 mos. i asked them to give her cows milk except for pre-nap. so we didn't go cold turkey. but it would have been fine if we had.
#18 of 30 Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 PM

13 mos. And then nursed 2-3 times before and after work for a couple months. We've pretty much stopped nursing all together now which is a little sad and not my plan but that's the way it worked out.
#19 of 30 Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 PM

I worked 12 hour shifts. I stopped pumping around 10-12 months, I think. DH would bring her up during lunch for me to nurse, so that helped. We nursed until she was two. I had so much milk and such a great supply, I could have nursed 10 babies without pumping to keep my supply.

When our frozen EBM milk ran out after I stopped pumping, dd just drank whole, fortified soy milk with a tablespoon of black strap molasses added. She also drank watered down juices and whole milk, and she ate finger foods. But when I was home, she'd just nurse and nurse. When we weaned, she was still nursing every two hours or more frequently. She's 11 years old and grazes all day, sometimes even gets up during the night to eat. It's just how she's wired, I guess.
#20 of 30 Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds View Post
When our frozen EBM milk ran out after I stopped pumping, dd just drank whole, fortified soy milk with a tablespoon of black strap molasses added.
Oh, thanks for this! This is really helpful. We don't want DD to have cow's milk since we avoid all animal products, and I worry what to give her during once my frozen stash runs out. That is a huge concern of mine, so thanks for that info.

#21 of 30 Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 PM

It's hard to find a substitute. Goat's milk was only intermittently available. At the time, there were no organic toddler formula substitutes (there are now--but even then, they are mostly cow milk based, and I think they taste yucky). Rice milk has virtually no protein, same with almond milk.

We used Edensoy Extra, plain, and I added some blackstrap molasses to improve the taste, increase the nutrient content, and also simply because I was worried she'd get constipated, going from breastmilk to soymilk, and I thought the blackstrap molasses would help.

You'll get those who also say that soymilk is bad, due to the phytoestrogens. I have mixed feelings on this. Ultimately, for us the soymilk was the best choice. I only worked 2-3 days a week, so it wasn't like she was getting it all day every day. Most of her nutrition still came from breastfeeding. Solids, soymilk, and watered-down juices were not her primary source of nutrition until she was closer to 20 months old.

An added bonus for us--dd never took a bottle of breastmilk very well. However, the soymilk--she'd only drink out of a bottle, and with relish. Even after she weaned, and she drank everything else out of a cup, she still would only drink soymilk out of her bottle. Eventually just one particular bottle, to be exact. We managed to hold onto that bottle for two+ years. When she lost that bottle at age 4, she stopped drinking soymilk.
#22 of 30 Old 06-29-2009, 02:43 PM

About 17 mo I stopped pumping. He dropped his intake quite a bit at preschool, so it was a natural time to stop.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#23 of 30 Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM

I stopped pumping twice a day around 11 months (I had tons of freezer stash to go through so I had plenty for 2 bottles a day still).

Around 16 months I started pumping every other day and after a month of that, I stopped entirely.

He now drinks goats milk at daycare.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#24 of 30 Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM

I stopped at around 15 months. DD still nurses quite a bit, especially during the night.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#25 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 PM

This is a great thread! My LO is 15 months and I still pump twice a day. I cut out one session ( I used to pump 3x) a few months ago, after searching through posts here. It was an easy transition. I'll probably cut down to 1x a day when she is 18-20 months, then graduly transition to no pumping but nursing on demand when we are together.

h20homebirth:
#26 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

^ I'm pumping 3 X a day now, so even dropping to 2 X would be heavenly. I love that can do this for my DD, but oh, pumping, how I despise you.

Thanks for all these stories ladies. I know someday I'll miss this time but for now I just really look fwd to not pumping anymore, lol!

#27 of 30 Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM

I posted the same question a little over a month ago and didn't get nearly as many replies! Still pumping at work for my 10 month old and looking toward the light at the end of the tunnel I'm starting a new job and envision it being a more difficult environment to pump when its new people who didn't see me pregnant and don't know my baby etc...
#28 of 30 Old 07-12-2009, 12:39 AM

DS is almost 11 months and I'm ready to stop pumping as well. I currently pump before I leave for work and at lunchtime. I have 1000+oz freezer stash that I am slowly starting to use up and it looks as though it will last past his first birthday. I hope to be able to continue to nurse him and not have to pump.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#29 of 30 Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
I was pretty much "pumped out" by the time she turned 1. Meaning that I was still pumping but getting very little results. So I stopped pumping and she switched to cows milk for daytime milk needs.
this was us, too. i would've gladly continued pumping, but i was getting maybe 1 ounce a session. so we stopped right after age 1. we supplemented cow's milk during the day--the only difference with us was that she was only away from me for 5 hour days.

then at around 16 months, we moved to 8 hour days, no problems. we're still nursing lots (more than i would like ) at 26 months. for us, the end of pumping didn't lead into weaning in the least. i was really worried, but it was totally fine.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#30 of 30 Old 07-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I stopped pumping at 18m. I had planned to at 12m because that is "normal--right" but he was still light on solids and taking 3 5 oz bottles a day. He dropped one of the bottles himself at twelve months.

So, he still nursed a lot (I work from home one day a week), nursed at night, and I was still pumping a lot.

I dropped a pumping session at 15m and another at 16 m and the last one at 18m. I had enough frozen ebf to last another month but he will still drinking 10 oz at that point. We didn't handle it very well and he basically went without another milk for awhile. He didn't like cow's milk and I wasn't interested in soy or others.

I did have some regrets at that point about all of the milk I had donated. But to have used that milk he would have always had frozen milk instead of almost always having fresh. I decided that was the better choice.

I was already pregnant when I stopped pumping and I don't know what role it played in my decisision. My supply had dropped a bit but he was still nursing avidly.

I will say that the combination of my pregnancy, taste changes, lack of pumping, and DH's decision to get more involved at night so I could get some sleep led DS to wean much faster than I expected. I don't know which was the primary session but it was really pretty abrupt and very clear. He nursed last at 22m when I was half-way along. No regrets or continued on his part, even though we are around lots of nursing toddlers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page