Do you Pay Daycare provider for HER vacation? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daycare is on a monthly basis.  She closes for a week in August, but we don't have to pay.  And after being there for a year, we can take a week off and not have to pay.  But we do pay for holidays when they are closed, so I don't have my kids in there on Mondays, since most of the holidays (labor day, memorial day etc.) are on Mondays.  Hope that helps, and I hope you don't have to pay for her week vacation!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM

I pay the full monthly rate for my kiddo's care despite any holidays or school closures. Basically, since the childcare is associated with my college, they're closed whenever the college is closed, which is spring break (1 week), winter break (3 weeks, yes three...), and 2 weeks over summer. And the rate is the same every month. But I LOVE my kid's providers. I mean... LOVE them, so the way I see it is that I'm getting a deal that my kid's caregivers take such amazing care of him, and basically parent him when I'm not able to because I'm in school. I suppose I could choose to see it as a hardship, seeing as I am living on welfare and student loans, but that would only irritate me and it wouldn't change anything, so I prefer the alternative. winky.gif

Moo.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

i would not be able to pay for their vacation AND another provider the same week.  if that was a something they wanted i would not use them.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 PM

At my small center, don't pay for the days they are closed. The providers do not get paid either. The director might. But we can often hire one of the providers during the time the center is closed and I pay cash for that.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My provider doesn't require it, but I try to anyway, because I feel like she works so hard and deserves it. I try to save up for it so I can do it.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:51 AM

I wouldn't expect to pay for that unless it was specified ahead of time. I do pay for my daycare to take off traditional holidays (Thanksgiving, Labor Day, etc. all the big ones) and I would expect that.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM

We have a nanny and yes we pay her for sick and vacation days. It is her job...and I don't believe in jobs that don't include some paid time off.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM

In MA, in-home licensed daycare providers are allowed 13 paid holidays and up to two weeks paid vacation.

This is embedded in state code or what have you.

It would never have occurred to me that I wouldn't pay for daycare's vacation.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 AM

I do.  We have a very clear contract and policies and we know the date months ahead of time.  This year she was exceptionally organized and sent us her vacation days for the whole year in January.  I think given that kind of notice it's unreasonable to whine about having to find backup care.  If it's not convenient for us to book our own vacation then we can split the days between me and my husband and book them off.  Then at least one person isn't burning all of their vacation time.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Everyone keeps comparing a home daycare provider to a full time employee when the daycare provider is actually a small business owner. So if the small retail shop on the corner is closed and I can't shop, she's not paid for the day. If the plumber I call is unavailable, she doesn't get paid. Being a small business owner has it's advantages and disadvantages. To me having to plan for an unpaid vacation is simply one of the disadvantages of being a small business owner. 

I've seen two ways of handling this issue that seem the most fair to me.

1. Parents pay for any time the daycare is open regardless of if their kids are there or not. However, the daycare doesn't make money if it is closed for vacation or illness.

2. Both sides get a set number of days off each year to use. Appropriate notice must be given to use those days. In this case parents often use their days off at the same time as the daycare providers days off to avoid paying two daycares for that time. However, many parents will happily pay for the providers vacation if they don't also have to pay a provider while they are on their own vacation.

I've run into providers who require a paid vacation and as long as that is clearly spelled out in the contract that is fine as well. It's not how I would want it to work. It was actually the final straw that had me leaving one daycare provider. However, if you have a good provider and her requirements are clearly spelled out it's probably worth it to pay her vacation.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM

This seems very strange to me. Admittedly, I don't have any experience with in-home daycare, but when I worked at a daycare center after college I did not get any paid time off at all. I don't know whether the parents paid when the center was closed on holidays, but if they did none of that money came to me, the teacher.

None of the jobs I have ever worked came with paid time off. I have never gotten paid for sick days or vacation time. I don't know anyone who gets paid hourly or who is self-employed who gets paid time off. My husband makes six figures, but he's a contractor and paid hourly, and he does not get any paid time off. He gets paid for the hours he works, period.

Michelle, wife to DH, and momma to DD16, DS15, DS12, DS10, DD9, DD7, DS5, and baby girl born Christmas Eve 2013!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Yeah, we pay for all holidays, and her sick days. It is pretty much to "hold out spots" in the daycare. I mean, I can understand paying for holidays, etc, we all like a little holiday pay, but paying for her sick days...I just wish I had the nerve to say something. Yet again, cheapest day I am getting in all the Chicago area without government aid.

User Tag List