Do you Pay Daycare provider for HER vacation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd just recently started at preschool daycare in the past 2 months.
It is an in-home licensed facility.
I was advised that she takes last week of July (including the Friday before) as her vacation so that I may arrange alternate care for dd.

I pay weekly and was never told if I had to pay her for that week.
My contract says that I pay for my vacation or sick days that we are not there, but wasn't specific for her vacation- I was verbally informed once I decided to bring my dd there that she was not available that week.

Logically it seems if I have to pay someone else for that week, how can I pay both... kwim? Makes total sense that I pay for my vacation to keep our spot open... but her vacation?? hmmmmmmmmm?

I know I just need to ask her, but wanted to know the norm for the mama's here that have had to work around a care provider's scheduled time off.
TIA

~Single Working Mama of two
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 AM

I think it is standard to pay for days that you miss because of YOUR family (essentially because your daycare provider can't fill that spot for a day in your absence), but I've never heard of a daycare charging you for days that they aren't available to you.

I would definitely be working under the assumption that you don't have to pay when the daycare is closed. Worth checking though, so there's no surprises.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when I had a home dc provider I had to pay for her holidays, but she offered one week vacation for the child....of course it ended up being the week she was off, but at least I didn't pay for it.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 AM

I've heard of daycares charging for their two-week vacation.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Around here, it is actually pretty standard to pay for your provider's vacation. She is working full time, often without any benefits and for longer hours than most people with a "regular" full time job. She is taking care of your children, which is the most important job in the entire world. She absolutely deserves a week of paid vacation each year.

I really don't mean to come off as sounding harsh in this, but I was a childcare provider for a year and a half. It was so difficult to have the mama of the little boy I watched haggle over a few days off when I was working my butt off for relatively little money. What we ended up doing was she paid for my vacation (1 week) and for her own (1 week), so I ended up with two weeks off per year. I paid for any sick time on my end and she paid for any sick time on her end, and 4 holidays. I felt that it was pretty fair.

ETA: Just wanted to add that if I had not received a paid week of vacation, I pretty much would not have been able to plan a vacation at all. The mama that I worked for would tell me a week or two in advance of her vacation, so not enough time for me to really plan anything. Also, many providers simply can't afford to not get paid for an entire week.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Around here, it is actually pretty standard to pay for your provider's vacation. She is working full time, often without any benefits and for longer hours than most people with a "regular" full time job. She is taking care of your children, which is the most important job in the entire world. She absolutely deserves a week of paid vacation each year.

I really don't mean to come off as sounding harsh in this, but I was a childcare provider for a year and a half. It was so difficult to have the mama of the little boy I watched haggle over a few days off when I was working my butt off for relatively little money. What we ended up doing was she paid for my vacation (1 week) and for her own (1 week), so I ended up with two weeks off per year. I paid for any sick time on my end and she paid for any sick time on her end, and 4 holidays. I felt that it was pretty fair.

ETA: Just wanted to add that if I had not received a paid week of vacation, I pretty much would not have been able to plan a vacation at all. The mama that I worked for would tell me a week or two in advance of her vacation, so not enough time for me to really plan anything. Also, many providers simply can't afford to not get paid for an entire week.
Yup.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM

No. We don't pay for any days that the daycare is closed.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 PM

yes.

hh2.gif

Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 PM

I always paid for the week we went on vacation and the week she was on vacation. Any regular holidays I did not have to pay for. This was in our contract however, so it was all up front.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't pay for her vacation. Not if it was presented that way. I don't get a paid vacation, why am I required to provide one for someone else? She should have worked that into her rates.

Of course, as a freelance writer I don't get benefits or vacation pay and have to make sure I work enough (or at a high enough rate) to pay for health insurance and a vacation if I wanted one.

But...if she's a rockstar with your child and you feel you can't live without her...well then...you're going to pay. I would, because business issues aside, someone that's good for your kid is worth the extra money.

Mama to two preschool girls and one beautiful infant girl born 9/30!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM

When my kids were daycare aged we paid for the DCPs vacation weeks (1 over Christmas, one in the summer). We also paid for days she was closed due to illness on her part (she had several surgeries over the years we were there), our vacation weeks and days when we were out sick. It was all written in the contract though, so we knew it was there. If you don't have a contract, you definitely should request one. If you do, it should be spelled out.

Of course, once the kids got to preschool we also paid the same amount each month, regardless of holidays or school vacations.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 PM

Yes as a childcare provider I got paid for vacation both the children's as well as my own but it was in the contract.

Quote:

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM

we pay the same every month - some months DC is closed for a week for winter break or for 3 days for spring break, or 2 days for fall break, etc.

I do get a bit irked that I pay for essential 3 weeks worth of vacation time. Fortunately I ge tthe same vacations usually so its not such a big deal. This is actually quite standard for daycare facilities like my son's preschool to have "vacations" that coincide with the school system calendar.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM

ours gets 2 paid weeks off a year. it's fine with me because most professional jobs give employees paid vacation.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I thought it was standard to pay for your providers vacation. We are in a center but we pay for the days that they are closed. When we were at an in home daycare it was the same. Both times though they were spelled out in the contract.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM

We're not in an home center, but we get 10 vacation days we can use and not pay for those days. Over that, we pay. We pay for sick days or unscheduled absences, because the staff were scheduled around our kids factored into ratio. We also pay for holidays. We pay, so that they can pay their staff. And I'm FINE with that. They work hard and deserve holiday pay just like I deserve mine. I know many home day care providers don't require parents to pay for vacations, or for their vacations. But as posters have said, if you are working 6:30am to 6:00pm, for $125 bucks a week per child, you deserve a week off!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We pay the same every month whether or not we're there. DCP is closed on specific holidays, for two weeks at Christmas, a week and a half in the summer, two days for "spring break." It's all in the contract; she makes her plans a year in advance, so we know when the summer break will be.

Licensed home provider, FWIW. But standard practice for this area.

Mom of two girls.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I agree with all of this. This is true where I live, and if you think about it, it is fair and makes sense.

It is customary to give a nanny a paid vacation, so why not an in-home childcare provider? She is running a business, and most businesses offer paid vacation. Just because she is self-employed doesn't mean she shouldn't have it.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 AM

When we had a nanny we paid her vacation, yes.

Now we pay a centre the same each month although the centre is closed for some holidays and the last week of the summer. Same theory, as far as I'm concerned.

It is a pain to have to double pay, for sure. One thing that has helped us with our centre is we know the week up front, so we can choose to schedule our paid-by-our-employers vacation time over that week.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 07-14-2009, 03:11 AM

Charging tuition for a provider's vacation days is standard where I live, especially among licensed/accredited providers (SAHMs and off-the-books providers not as much).

Your provider should have pointed out the fact she charges vacation tuition when she discussed her contract with you, and it should have been in writing. As you were only verbally informed of the requirement, perhaps you have some legal wiggle room (?)

However, I agree with jennydecki that if she's a really awesome provider, you might want to suck it up and pay this time. Which stinks, I know- it's hard enough finding someone to care for your child on a short-term basis without having to worry about how you'll pay TWO people that week!

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM

We pay our provider for one week of vacation and statutory holidays. We do not get a break on our fees if we take DS out for our vacations or sick days. This is clearly outlined in our contract and makes perfect sense to me. When our daycare provider took three weeks holiday last year, she arranged for a someone to come in and take care of the children so none of us were out childcare.

I don't think it's fair to expect a caregiver to have no paid holiday, or to refund you fees for days that you choose to not send your child, whether due to vacation or illness.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 AM

I don't pay for the sitter's vacation time, but I have a variable-part-time-hours sitter. I arrange with her around the work projects I have and the non-childcare projects she has and I pay just for the hours worked. However, when we're out of town, she usually watches our pets and housesits, which comes out in the end to paying close to the same amount for a week bc it's part-time childcare. I also pay a fairly big bonus once a year, which should cover vacation time as well IMO.

For what the OP is describing, I would ask. The preschool doesn't charge for any days when they're closed. If it's a home-daycare run like a business, I don't think she would charge for vacation. A nanny might charge for vacation time. If it's run like a nanny, she might.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Yup. It's standard here too. Our first provider had 2 weeks plus some sick days which she never used, so the next year she declared 3 weeks personal time including sick!! It was more time than I had off and she usually forgot to schedule it until later in the year and had time to "use up" in November when I was out of time off! Fun.

Our current provider has 2 weeks. She never takes sick time---well, once when her whole family had been throwing up all weekend. :P She gives me her schedule at the beginning of the year. We pay the same each week whether we're there are she's there. Regular holidays are included (though I get a couple that she doesn't).

Both are very standard around these parts.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 PM

It's pretty standard but it is usually pretty clearly outlined in the contract or handbook. It sounds rather ambiguous in this case.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 07-15-2009, 06:14 PM

I pay my provider for 3 weeks of vacation. I kind of look at it this way - I get paid vacation - why shouldn't she? I hate it and think 3 weeks is excessive but I do it because she is a good provider.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 AM

THis is part of the reason we are now at a center, and not at at in home.

When our provider was sick, we had no choice but to take vacation days ourselves to cover our childcare (which, was like not the purpose of our vacation)

When we were sick, we did not pay because we were part time and paid an hourly rate, however, if we were full time we would have just paid.

We paid if we took vacation and we paid if she took vacation.

When she took off 12 weeks to have a baby, it was a difficult thing - not sure how everyone handled it, BUT we ended up moving about that time and never had to encouter it

At the center we get 10 misses a year, no matter the reason, Then, they have been very willling to work with us with FMLA when DS was born (DD could be gone and not loose her spot). With local layoffs they have been flexible - not charging us if there is a small layoff for a few weeks and DH stays home with the kids. They, however have much more flexibility.
THis is why, for many reasons, we now go to a center.
However, I think you should pay her for her vac and sick time, but she should not charge you for yours.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Yes. Yes. Yes. I had two different in home providers in the past. I absolutely paid for their vacation time! There is no reason they should not have the same types of benefits I receive from my job.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM

It's pretty common, I think, to pay for your provider to take a vacation. If it's not outlined in your contract, though, I would definitely ask about it. I do in-home childcare as well. I basically have it set up that they don't pay me for days that I miss because of me (be it my daughter is sick or I'm sick or I'm on vacation), but they pay me for days they miss because of them (they are sick, the kid is sick or they take a vacation). But I am paid for holidays, and the paid holidays are outlined in the contract. If it's not in the contract, you may not be expected to pay.

My sister's provider (in-home as well), takes a week of paid vacation and also gives the parents a week through the year that they can take off and not have to pay.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 AM

Yes, we pay for our in-home provider's vacation. That's why it's her vacation, not her "days off not getting paid."
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Daycare providers work on the average of 50 hours per week taking care of children.  Add an additional 10 hours to that for prep work, shopping, planning, etc.  When you work a job at an office do you get a paid vacation?  Why should your employer pay for your vacation when you are not there working.  How do you expect daycare providers to keep on working 50 hour work weeks without taking a vacation?  Being a daycare provider - a good daycare provider is one of the hardest jobs there is.  They deserve tobe  paid for their vacation as much as you do for yours.  I have been a daycare provider for

over 25 years.  I deserve a paid vacation.  If you expect someone to give your child good care then you need to pay them for it - otherwise don't expect the great care that you will get with an experienced daycare provider.

User Tag List