summer vacation envy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a confession - I have an extreme case of jealousy toward my sister & brother-in-law who are both school teachers and have the summer off. Sleeping in until 9 every morning, puttering in the garden all day, refinishing furniture "for fun" - it all sounds too perfect. Granted they don't have kids yet, but still. I haven't had a full day off since March and I'm going bonkers. It just seems so unfair that teachers get so much time off in the summer, plus all of the holidays and breaks throughout the school year. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a scrooge? I get that it's a hard job, and not for everyone, but still!
#2 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Well, they don't get paid for the time either, so teachers either have to be good at budgeting or they find summer jobs just like their students. I'd overhaul the whole school calendar if I were queen, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

But yes, I'm a bit envious of those who get a real summer vacation.
#3 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, and often teachers must take classes or attend seminars in the summer to keep up with their jobs and certifications.
#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 02:21 PM

yup - my friend teaches middle school. They start back 2nd week in August with training, and then go until the end of May. So, really its only 2 months off in the middle. Of these 2 moths, she has trainings, etc. at least every other week. You do not leave your job at home either - its not 9-5... Many work in evenings and weekends grading.

And I agree about the pay. After taxes, union fees, etc. its really not that much.

That said, it does have its perks. Though sleeping into 9 am and lounging sound more like a perk of being childless rather than being a teacher specifically.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I wouldn't exactly say it's "unfair," since you have the freedom to decide to become a teacher if you want to, and then you'll get summers off too if you choose to not take a summer job, teach summer school, or take continuing education during the summertime.

I do understand having some jealousy though, but more in a lighthearted "man, that sounds so fun!" kind of way than a "geez, that's not fair" kind of way. I miss having summers off too -- that was a really hard adjustment for me once I got out of school. I remember that awful sinking feeling when I realized that I just have to work ... nearly every day ... for the next 40 years.

I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
Though sleeping into 9 am and lounging sound more like a perk of being childless rather than being a teacher specifically.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
EVC

Quote:
Though sleeping into 9 am and lounging sound more like a perk of being childless rather than being a teacher specifically.
:

I'm a grad student so I have summers more or less off. And everyday I wake up at......6 AM. If I am lucky. If I get to sleep until 6:30, then that is a special day indeed. And then the whirlwind that is dd begins, and I try to balance my day between chasing after her, cleaning up her messes, getting her to playdates (hopefully dressed and fed) AND trying to squeeze in a little research/study/lesson planning for the fall/etc. time during her naps.

I imagine teachers are in pretty much the same boat. At least those with kids.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#7 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
Well, they don't get paid for the time either, so teachers either have to be good at budgeting or they find summer jobs just like their students. I'd overhaul the whole school calendar if I were queen, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

But yes, I'm a bit envious of those who get a real summer vacation.
I'm on a 9 over 12 pay schedule. In other words, the university only pays me for nine months, but is willing to divide that into 12 installments. I'd not like to be in the position of having to remember to do that myself.

FWIW, my summer "break" is when everything that doesn't get done during the year gets done--the research/creative work required for job advancement, long range course planning, etc. That said, I'm happy to have the added flexibility.

Mom of two girls.
#8 of 13 Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 PM

I am envious, but don't feel that it is not a deserved time off. I just wish we all had more time off in the summer!!! I'm envious because I want to be home with my kids, I want to spend time in my garden, and take the kids swimming. I don't want the demands of teaching with little kids though, no thanks!

My MIL and step mom are both teachers, they work their butts off, 7am to 6 or 7pm Mon/Fri, not counting the evening commitments, weekends spent grading papers and planning for the next week, they easily work 50 to 60 hour weeks. They also don't get the downtime I get at work, no surfing on MDC, or stopping to chat with friends for a few minutes, or skipping out a couple hours early every once in a while. They both have Masters +30, the max. on the educationally based pay scale, so they aren't in a lot of training, but still have a minimum numbers of CEU's to keep up on. Sure, they get from mid June to mid August off of 'normal' work, but still plan and prep for the next year, and keep up on trainings, etc.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM

opps

Marilyn,psych RN. Homeschooling mom to Taylor (12) and Lauryn (8)
#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2009, 12:39 AM

I am envious of friends who are stay-at-home parents and do not have to schelp their kids to day camp and then head off to a day in the office during the summer. I work at a school and there are plenty of teachers working or desperately underemployed during the summer.
#11 of 13 Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 AM

I'm not a teacher but I work in the schools so I get the same holidays, etc off. Actually I get more because I don't have to attend staff meetings or anything like that. I was off 2 days before the teachers were & unlike them I don't have to be back until the day the students come back(teachers have to be back in the school 1 week before it starts).

I can sleep in, but that's becuase my kids are older & more independent. I'm still usually up by 8:30, except right now because dh's gone on holidays & I can slack off on the housework while he's gone.lol

I'm still just as busy as I was when the kids were in school, my days are just as scheduled as they were before.
#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 AM

I think teachers totally deserve the summer off. The teachers at my older kids' middle/high school go on extended trips with their students during the year and only get about a month off in the summer. They spend a lot of time planning and creating their curriculum.
My youngest child's teacher gets the usual summer break off but is 150% "on" during the school year.
I think they all deserve more pay in addition to the time they get off.
#13 of 13 Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogamama View Post
I am envious of friends who are stay-at-home parents and do not have to schelp their kids to day camp and then head off to a day in the office during the summer.
Some of them are envious of you too.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page