Student Nurses and Pre-Req Takers Fall 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would start a new thread because the old ones are...well...old

I also wanted to create a thread specifically for students - either student nurses or pre-req takers. :

Is anyone interested in starting up a new tribe? If so, maybe to start off, we could all introduce ourselves.
  1. What type of program are you in (ADN/BSN; traditional/accelerated)
  2. What classes are you taking this fall?
  3. What are you looking forward to?
  4. What are you apprehensive about?
  5. What have you been doing to prepare for the upcoming semester?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'll go first

What type of program are you in (ADN/BSN; traditional/accelerated)
I'm in an accelerated non-nurse Bachelor's to MSN program. They don't award a BSN but once I'm done with my three year program, I'll have my MSN and be able to sit the CNM exam.

What classes are you taking this fall?
Biomedical Foundations of Health and Disease
Health Assessment
Introduction to Drug Therapy
Fundamentals of Human Anatomy
Clinical Practice in Medical-Surgical Nursing
Seminar in Medical-Surgical Nursing

What are you looking forward to?
Almost everything. I just can't wait to get started. I think I'm probably most excited about international clinical opportunities.

What are you apprehensive about?
Making friends (I just moved to a new city and obviously I want to make friends with my classmates), getting through Anatomy class (I am nervous about working with cadavers), and doing well in my clinicals (not really sure what to expect in my clinicals and I am afraid of making mistakes).

What have you been doing to prepare for the upcoming semester?
Honestly, nothing really. Many of my classmates have been reviewing anatomy and physiology and starting to read their textbooks and such. I have been doing nothing - just getting to know my new town, sightseeing, trying to find a church, and relaxing...It's been a great few weeks off.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Not sure if you are counting LPN students in this as well. I'm doing it one part at a time. Here, you can either go to 2 years for an RN or 1 1/2 years for an LPN. Most people here do LPN first and then go to the RN program if they choose to continue on, they are not offered at the same school. (more demand for LPNs in our area)

Anyways, I have a question then. What is an ADN? Neither of the options you mentioned above are offered in my area. Here, we have the option of Certificate/Diploma or AS. Diploma is 3 semesters full time and 1 semester of full-time pre-reqs. So 2 years. The AS is that 2 years PLUS another year (at least) to complete the AS requirements. (So 3-4 years)

Anyways, I'm finishing up my pre-reqs this fall. Class starts Monday. Not worried about anything really. This is my 3rd time back to college and I find school to be pretty easy when I put my mind to it. I split my pre-reqs into 2 semesters so I only have 2 classes this fall. (took the others over the summer) Psychology and Anatomy/Biology

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kristine!

Yes, everyone is welcome - both LPN and RN students!

ADN is an Associates Degree in Nursing.

Welcome!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post
Hi Kristine!

Yes, everyone's welcomes - both LPN and RN students!

ADN is an Associates Degree in Nursing.

Welcome!
OK, that's what I'm doing then, but for LPN vs RN. LMAO. I have just never heard it referred to like that. But then again, I don't know that most places offer it for LPN like my college does? Thank you.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:50 PM

Wow I'm so happy I found this thread...what a great idea!
I want to get into either a traditional BSN or an M.A since I already have a B.A. in another subject... my biggest concern with the accelerated programs is having to spend so much time away from my baby...

2. What classes are you taking this fall? Physiology and Anatomy, prereqs

Getting to do work that is hands-on for once instead of all intellectual like university was...it didn't prepare me for a real job, I feel like...

How much time I will have to spend away from my son, who is only 2 months right now... I love him so much and it kills me to not get to play with him every second...i usually put him in his swing (where he is totally happy) so I can get homework done but then I feel guilty

I am doing prereqs, will start volunteering at the hospital next week, and my former midwife just asked me if I want to be her apprentice! I will take all the experience I can get!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM

I'm taking prereqs for an accelerated BSN program. I have a BA in Spanish so I need to take some science classes to be admitted to the BSN program. I hope to start the BSN program in the fall of 2010. Then I plan on continuing on for my CNM. Hopefully my dh will be working by the time I finish my BSN. If so, I will go on immediately for my masters. If he's not working steady, I'll have to work full time as a nurse until he is working before I continue on in school. My ultimate goal is to be a nurse midwife.

I'm taking Anatomy and Physiology and also a basic chemistry class (chem1020)

I'm nervous about taking two science classes together and balancing that with spending time with my family. I know that I'm going to need a lot of study time. But I know that this semester will be easy peasy compared to the BSN program. I'm especially nervous about chemistry because I've never liked chemistry. But I'm really trying not to box myself into being "someone who sucks at chemistry". I can do well in the class if I try hard enough. I'm also aprehensive about leaving my baby everyday. I will have class five days a week but it will only be about 20 hrs a week. I'm taking 9 credit hours. But I will also need time alone to study. Since my baby was born, we've never been apart this much. My daughters will be cared for by my husband, my mom, or my sil. I know they'll be in good hands but not MY hands, yk? ilanarose, it sure is hard balancing, isnt' it?

Nothing! Seriously I'm trying to enjoy spending time with my girls. I've also been pumping everyday so that I have a bit of a stash of milk for my baby.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 AM

I pop in and out of MDC so I'll be around every now and then .

Right now I'm just pre-reqing, I finish Nov 2010 and will hopefully make it into an accelerated BSN Jan 2011. Trying desperately to beat the 2015 switch of NP from masters to doctorate. Should make it but just barely.

I'm at a CC so the next two quarters (fall/winter) I'm taking Algebra, Introduction to Biology, Human Relations Skills, Social Problems, Microbiology, Statistics and Intro to Sociology.

The advanced biology classes interest me, but mainly I'm looking forward to actually making it into nursing school not just prereqs.

Doing all this work and being denied from the program.

I've been buying books, on my own dime b/c aid hasn't come through but that's another vent, and trying to work out a decent schedule. Most everything is online so that works out well for me.
Edit: totally forgot volunteering, I'm doing ER, NICU and Mom/Baby to try and get some experience for the apps. I'd love to actually get paid but everyone wants too many hours and oh yeah 2 years of experience. lol.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 AM

kimiij, I want to tell you that reading your posts here and on the student midwives thread has inspired me to look into graduate entry cnm programs. So these last two days I've been very busy deciding which programs I want to apply to. I still plan on applying to the accelerated BSN program local to me. But I'm also going to apply to some grad entry CNM programs. Even though it may not be any different to do it as two seperate programs, somehow it feels different to be acutally applying to a CNM program.

Now I just have to take the GRE and get all kinds of references together. And I have to find a way to make my resume look a little better. Can I put my time as a SAHM on my resume? I mean it really is the hardest and most important job I've ever done. My resume is pretty pathetic. I mean that's why I'm going to grad school.

I have to keep reminding myself to take it one step at a time.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM

1. What type of program are you in
Right now I'm just taking my pre-req's...for the second time. I was in a nursing program 6 years ago, then dropped out when I decided I wanted to become a homebirth midwife. Then I got pregnant and realized that I didn't want to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week with my new baby. So now that my girls are a little older, I'm back on the nursing track with the goal of becoming a CNM. I have to retake all my pre-req's since they are only good for 5 years.
Human Anatomy, Microbiology, and Intro to Sociology
Finally being able to work as a midwife...and I'm looking forward to the financial stability this will create in our family.
actually getting into a nursing program...seems like there are so many programs with enormous waiting lists
Just trying to schedule study time...Library time, and scoping out other good study places for when the library is closed. I don't study well at home. I get really distracted easily, so I find it's imperative for me to go somewhere else to study. For instance right now, I'm at home, surrounded by my books...I'm "studying" right now...except I'm on MDC instead

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd View Post
kimiij, I want to tell you that reading your posts here and on the student midwives thread has inspired me to look into graduate entry cnm programs. So these last two days I've been very busy deciding which programs I want to apply to. I still plan on applying to the accelerated BSN program local to me. But I'm also going to apply to some grad entry CNM programs. Even though it may not be any different to do it as two seperate programs, somehow it feels different to be acutally applying to a CNM program.

Now I just have to take the GRE and get all kinds of references together. And I have to find a way to make my resume look a little better. Can I put my time as a SAHM on my resume? I mean it really is the hardest and most important job I've ever done. My resume is pretty pathetic. I mean that's why I'm going to grad school.

I have to keep reminding myself to take it one step at a time.
: So happy for you ShelleyD!!

Have you decided which schools you are going to apply to??

I don't have any BTDT advice for you about putting SAHM on your resume, but I think that if you make sure to highlight your strengths and your skills that you gained and utilized while you were SAHMing then that will only help you. I found this paragraph:

"The Schahn Project

December 1998 – Present

Raising four children, ages 18 months to 12 years and managing all our household activities, chores, meals, maintenance, remodeling/improvement projects, logistics and repairs. The skills I have strengthened while being at home full time include patience, compassion, delegation, organization, leadership, the ability to prioritize, negotiation, budget, project and time management and humility."

I found that here: http://www.leavingexcess.com/2008/07...ur-resume.html

I thought the way she did it was really clever and you could probably adapt this for your own purposes. Frankly, I think that schools are looking for all types of diversity, and having someone come from a SAHM background is a plus.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Hello Y'all!
I am glad to join you gals in this thread. I was planning on starting the ADN program at my local community college this fall but my transcript from the jc that I took chem and english at didn't arrive in time for my app to be processed! That is really frustraitng because I have a 4.0 in prereqs so if the school had taken the 10 days they said they would instead of 3 weeks I totally would've gotten in.
So I'm working on applications for spring term at other community colleges as well as finishing prereqs for university. I am considering applying to UW and WWU next fall if I don't get into a ADN program I really like. This fall I will take CPR/1st aid certification (for college credit!) Biochemistry and Statistics (if I don't get dropped due to fin aid issues). If my classes get dropped by the computer I should still be able to take stats because there are about a dozen sections but I doubt I'd still be able to take biochem since there are only 2 sections both with full waitlists.
I go to school in WA about 30 min drive from seattle and don't start classes until September 2th! Does anyone else have such a late start date? I am in vacation in CA right now and it seems like a lot of people started school a month ago here and I still have three weeks of break left!
Be well and study hard!

Sugaree hippie mama: to one perfect daughter 9/07: one money-pit:
We : we share a:Right now we are: :
Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
1. What type of program are you in
Right now I'm just taking my pre-req's...for the second time. I was in a nursing program 6 years ago, then dropped out when I decided I wanted to become a homebirth midwife. Then I got pregnant and realized that I didn't want to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week with my new baby. So now that my girls are a little older, I'm back on the nursing track with the goal of becoming a CNM. I have to retake all my pre-req's since they are only good for 5 years.
Human Anatomy, Microbiology, and Intro to Sociology
Finally being able to work as a midwife...and I'm looking forward to the financial stability this will create in our family.
actually getting into a nursing program...seems like there are so many programs with enormous waiting lists
Just trying to schedule study time...Library time, and scoping out other good study places for when the library is closed. I don't study well at home. I get really distracted easily, so I find it's imperative for me to go somewhere else to study. For instance right now, I'm at home, surrounded by my books...I'm "studying" right now...except I'm on MDC instead
Eaglevoice I totally know what you mean about finding somewhere to study. I went to the the library today but it was closed for the holiday weekend so I ended up studying at Starbucks for a while. I just need to be out of the house to study.

I also planned on being a cpm but then realize that I really don't want that lifestyle. And I also look forward to financial stability. I feel bad that right now all the financial pressure is on my husband. I don't want that in our relationship. I want us to both contribute financially to our family.

Good luck with your classes.

Quote:
: So happy for you ShelleyD!!

Have you decided which schools you are going to apply to??

I don't have any BTDT advice for you about putting SAHM on your resume, but I think that if you make sure to highlight your strengths and your skills that you gained and utilized while you were SAHMing then that will only help you. I found this paragraph:

"The Schahn Project

December 1998 – Present

Raising four children, ages 18 months to 12 years and managing all our household activities, chores, meals, maintenance, remodeling/improvement projects, logistics and repairs. The skills I have strengthened while being at home full time include patience, compassion, delegation, organization, leadership, the ability to prioritize, negotiation, budget, project and time management and humility."

I found that here: http://www.leavingexcess.com/2008/07...ur-resume.html

I thought the way she did it was really clever and you could probably adapt this for your own purposes. Frankly, I think that schools are looking for all types of diversity, and having someone come from a SAHM background is a plus.

Good luck!

Kimiij thanks so much for that link to the sahm thing. I definitely need to find a way to say something like that.

I am applying to Case Western in Cleveland, University of Illionois in Chicago and Yale. I wish I has some idea of what a typical student looks like. I mean I have absolutely no idea if I even stand a chance of getting into any of these programs. My GPA is 3.7 and I'm hoping to do well on the GRE. I know that I can write a decent essay. So basically I hope that all those things balance out my sparce resume. I will still apply to the accelerated BSN program here in Detroit. I think that my chances of getting into that program are very high so that is my back up. After that I can apply to CNM programs if I don't get into any now. I just really want to be accepted into a CNM program now.

sugaree that stinks about your start date getting messed up. I hope that your financial aid is sorted out and it all works out for you. Enjoy your long break! I started school on Thursday and I'm already bogged down.

Shelley
Old 09-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
HI all! I've just started ADN on 8/19. It's so intense! I'm a single mama of one 8yo DS. He's in school while I'm in school, but I've such an unschooler heart-- I hope to take him back out, one day.
Right now it's one day at a time.
I have no support system whatsoever, so I had to get a roommate to help with the driving of DS to/from school-- with all the before and after care he can get AT school, I still have to have more help so I can go to clinical!

I'm in ADN, two years, just started.
I'm taking: Nursing Assessment, Fundamentals of Nursing, and Pharmacology
I'm looking forward (with trepidation, but still) to clinicals and meeting real people
I'm apprehensive about the HUGE workload, being able to handle it, and passing. I'm alternately excited about becoming a nurse, and apprehensive about the scary legal implications and "not nice" patients and hurting people.
The upcoming semester has already started, so I'm deep in the thick of things!

Nice to "meet" y'all!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM

My name is Rochelle. I'm 22 and going to Northwest Arkansas Community College. After becoming an RN, I plan on completing a RN to BSN and then BSN to MSN & CNM.

What type of program are you in
I'm in completing some more pre reqs right now but this Jan. I will be applying to an accelerated 2 year R.N program with the hope I'd start in May '10 & graduate in Fall of '11!!

Anatomy & Physiology 2
Human Growth & Development
English Comp 2
Intro to Philosophy

January when I get to apply to the nursing program! I'm already studying for this test called the TEAS which they use for admission.

The competitiveness of this program....there are 30 spots in the accelerated track & 40 in the traditional (a bit longer) track....so 70 spots total and about 375 applicants expected.

This semester will be a breeze so most of my preparation is going towards making sure I can get into the program. Making sure I get all A's and know that TEAS test backwards and forwards.[/QUOTE]

Rochelle  chartnew.gifff: /home/simplyrochelle  Wife to Matt; angel1.gif 9/08; angel1.gif 11/12;angel1.gif 6/13;

Every day brings me closer to fulfilling my dreams of becoming a midwife and a mother  

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing? How was the fall semester?

Has anyone started the Spring Semester yet?

I don't have time now but I'll be back to update!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM

It's official I am no longer a pre-req/co-req taker I am a student nurse!!!!
I start on wedensday!!!!

AS Fulltime program

Nursing 1
Skills Lab 1
Clinicals 1

Learning even more.

My kids being with a nanny 12 hours a week and finding time to study.

Reading and more reading....

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplevega View Post
It's official I am no longer a pre-req/co-req taker I am a student nurse!!!!
I start on wedensday!!!!
WOO HOO!!! Congratulations! I'm sure you're feeling great right now.

Fall Semester went really well. I'm still waiting for one of my grades to come in but all seems well. Besides school I also volunteered at a student-run free clinic which was an interesting experience. The experience really made me want to devote more time to my Spanish, what a useful skill!

The new semester starts in about a week but I'm still on my Christmas vacation right now and won't be back in town for another few days. Two of my classes from the first semester continue through part of the second semester so the only new class I will be taking initially will be Psych Nursing (A seminar and a clinical portion).

I've heard from the 2nd and 3rd years that this second semester is almost like a "vacation" compared to the Fall semester so I'm looking forward to more down time.

Anyone up for a check-in question?

Biggest lesson learned from the Fall Semester?
- If a group study session isn't working for you (e.g., learning styles don't mesh), then leave and go study by yourself
Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm just starting my actual nursing program on Wed actually! I'm doing a BSN program. I will graduate in Spring of 2012.

What classes are you taking this Spring?

Changed this semester to Spring since it's about to start. I'm taking Nursing fundamentals, Gerontology, Pharmocology and Child development psych. I'm also starting my clinicals for nursing fundamentals this semester as well.

My husband is also a full time student and we work together to manage taking care of our almost 3yo little boy. It's worked well so far, but now that I'm at an EXPENSIVE university, worried about continuing to make ends meet! I'm applying for a bunch of scholarships for next year, and should be awarded some as I have a high GPA, but we need to get through Spring and Summer! As far as being a nurse, I have no worries. I've been a caregiver/CNA for almost ten years. It's natural to me and I love it. Esp when I can get a difficult person to melt away their bitterness by figuring out how to get through to them.

Yea, not doing much different here. It's been a constant for a year and a half now, so just the usual..clean the apt., get the car tuned, and spend as much time with my ds as possible!

Thanks for posting this thread, I'm glad to have a place to go on here!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

Old 01-04-2010, 04:18 PM

OK, Spring is abotu to start, finished all my pre-reqs... gonna be a BUSy semester! yikes!

Taking:
Trends in Nursing
Lifespan Psych
Ana & Phys 2
Med Term
Intro to Nutrition (taken years ago but didnt transfer)

Not a bad classload. I had a couple classes finished over the summer so I have a lighter load than some of my classmates. Still 13 credit though.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Subbing, b/c I am considering the nursing program at my CC. I keep going back and forth (and have for the past 6 years since taking the CNA course). Anyhow, I meet with the nursing advisor in a couple weeks, so I'll go from there.

This semester I am taking Nutrition, and a Office Essentials course (geared for medical recording). Neither are actually part of nursing pre-req's, but both would be helpful, IMO.

If I decide to go the ADN route, I will need to take A+P I w/lab, and re-take the nursing aide course before applying. Everything else I haven't taken already (like micro, A+P II, etc., are worked into the nursing program, so that is nice).

Best of luck to everyone!

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List