Single Student Grants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have some advice on any grants or scholarships for a young, single, working, full time student, mom? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Definitely fill out a FAFSA if you haven't already. Depending on our income and # of dependants, you may get enough grant $ to not have to pay anything out of pocket.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
Definitely fill out a FAFSA if you haven't already. Depending on our income and # of dependants, you may get enough grant $ to not have to pay anything out of pocket.
I filled out my FAFSA last year and I planned to claim my daughter as my dependent because at that point I was working, was with her father, and I bought EVERYTHING for her we just lived under my parents roof. SO my dad filed her as his dependent and me too and I didn't know it so my FAFSA didn't count. This year I yet again haven't made that much money and we are still living under my parents roof but they are paying for us now- do they still reserve the right to file her as their dependent? I plan on moving out to go to the school I'm applying for and then Skyler will be my dependent if that counts?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM

She is the dependent of whomever paid > 50% of her support for that year (housing counts towards that). A dependent can't have a dependent - so if your dad claims you as a dependent, you can't claim her as a dependent.

Have you checked out fastweb.com for scholarship searching?

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangozulu View Post
She is the dependent of whomever paid > 50% of her support for that year (housing counts towards that). A dependent can't have a dependent - so if your dad claims you as a dependent, you can't claim her as a dependent.

Have you checked out fastweb.com for scholarship searching?
Hm so even if this year we lived with my parents for 9 out of 12 months we would both still be their dependents? : / Okay, then I need to get their tax info to fill out my FAFSA. Thank you
Nope but now it's in a tab for me to look at!

User Tag List