new to this forum-? about pumping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2004, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I haven't ever posted in this forum before, but I tried my question in EBF and got no response. I also tried LWAB and got some replies, one of which was to post here. Doh!

Anyway, I have been pumping for dd and was hoping to be done with it once she is a year, which is next month. However, she has not been willing to take anything else but juice or a little rice milk from a bottle, and then only one a day, maybe. I work 12-14 hour days twice a week, plus one 9-10 hour day or two 5-6 hour days. When I work a 12 hour shift she takes 3-4 2-3 ounce bottles. She averages 10-11 ounces. I struggle with my supply and would like to have one less thing to worry about. Plus I am a nurse and finding time to pump is difficult.

I'm just not sure how to make the transition. I've been thinking about having her try the Baby's Only formula. Does anyone know if they have trial sizes? She does pretty well with solids, but it doesn't seem quite enough to get her through those long days. She nurses about every 3 hours during the day when I am home and every 2 at night.

Should I just suck it up and keep pumping? Does anyone have any ideas to share? or tricks that worked for you to transition your little one to not taking bottles while Mama was gone? It seemed like it just happened naturally for the mamas that replied to the "how long did you pump" question.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kara,

What we experienced was a little different, so I'm not sure if this is much help. My DD just stopped drinking the milk I was pumping. She didn't replace it with anything either....

We tried cow's milk. No go. We tried soy. Nope. Rice milk? Almond milk? Nah.

In the end, we decided to simply keep her hydrated during the day. She had plenty of snacks offered to her throughout the day when I was gone, and the sippy with water was always around. She did learn to drink the water from the sippy eventually. When she would turn up with dry diapers, particularly when it was hot out, we found that she loves warm, dilute peppermint tea. Other people I know have mentioned flavoring the water with a lemon wedge.

Can you reduce to one pump per day? Can you pump when at home instead? If you're pumping 10-11 oz per day, it will likely take you a few weeks to "wean" yourself from the pump anyways -- just a heads up.

Pumping sucks (pun intended). It's really too bad our babies don't make it easier! I hope you get things figured out.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Geofizz! I was able to get a sample of the formula (they gave me the whole can for free! ) and she took about an ounce of that tonight when I got home. She wanted to nurse, but I had just pumped so she was ticked at the slow flow. It was very strange to give my babe a bottle, let alone one with formula in it! She has dropped one more bottle, so is down to 3 bottles on my 12 hour shift days.

I am pumping at home because I am not able to pump enough at work. I only get about 5-6 ounces at work and have to make up the difference on my days off. It's really getting to be a hassle.

Thanks for the tip about the tea. She does like tea, but I don't always think of it at something to offer her. My mom observed that she seems to be eating more food, so maybe we are heading in the direction I am hoping for and all I have to do is be patient.

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

Old 02-17-2004, 02:31 AM

If you want to keep up the pumping at home and still bf in the evenings, maybe try feeding her from one side & pump the other? I did this when mine were very little & I had major supply problems- it didn't help me, TBH, but I've heard of it working for others. Fenugreek tea (I think!) used to give me a bit of a milk surge too. Maybe have a cup at work a few hours before your shift is over & you'll be ready to go when you get home (or leaking!!).

Are you keen to keep the breastfeeds until your dd self-weans? Because she might be at an age where she will accept formula in a bottle or cup, & then have a feed in the evening when you get home....

Know what you mean about it being weird to give your little one a bottle....don't let it get you down, 'kay?

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 02-18-2004, 03:36 PM

There are several things you might try. While you are experimenting though, you will probably want to keep pumping until you find a solution.

Have you tried regular cow's milk, or are you opposed to this? My son made a really easy switch from formula/pumped milk to cow's milk at 1 year. My daughter was much less happy when we tried this last week, so we are now in the process of doing a mix of formula and milk, with a gradual decrease of formula and increase in milk. So far, so good. You could do the same with rice or soy milk if you don't do dairy. If you haven't had to do formula (lucky you), you would mix mama milk and the other to transition.

It may also be that your child will drink cow's (or other) milk in a cup or sippy better than a bottle. Since many people wean away from the bottle around a year, have you tried doing both at once? My little one will drink anything (including the dog's water, yech) out of a straw. They now sell the "disposable" cups with a really nice tight straw as well as sippy tops. I love these.

It seems sort of a shame to start formula at a point where you don't "need" to spend the money. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:38 AM

Yes, I should add that we switched to cow's milk at one year for both kids. And we had the sippy cup happening at about one year, although my kids weren't particularly attached to the bottle so it was pretty easy.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 02-26-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Geofizz
Kara,

What we experienced was a little different, so I'm not sure if this is much help. My DD just stopped drinking the milk I was pumping. She didn't replace it with anything either....

We tried cow's milk. No go. We tried soy. Nope. Rice milk? Almond milk? Nah.

In the end, we decided to simply keep her hydrated during the day. She had plenty of snacks offered to her throughout the day when I was gone, and the sippy with water was always around. She did learn to drink the water from the sippy eventually. When she would turn up with dry diapers, particularly when it was hot out, we found that she loves warm, dilute peppermint tea. Other people I know have mentioned flavoring the water with a lemon wedge.

Can you reduce to one pump per day? Can you pump when at home instead? If you're pumping 10-11 oz per day, it will likely take you a few weeks to "wean" yourself from the pump anyways -- just a heads up.

Pumping sucks (pun intended). It's really too bad our babies don't make it easier! I hope you get things figured out.

Pretty much ditto all this, except we wre never able to gett dd to drink BM from a bottle (I went back to work at 5 mo). I was literally dumping all the milk that I pumped. Finally just gave up and stopped pumping at 9 mo.

I would also suggest thinking about bypassing the sippy cup altogether. Not that there is anything wrong with sippy cups but just as another thing to try. My dd just loved to drink from a big girl cup.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:03 PM

Another option is goat's milk, especially if you can get it when it isn't ultra-pasturized. It's easier for babies to digest than cow's milk.

My DD had an initial reaction to to goat milk, but after a day it was fine. She alternated goat milk bottles and breastmilk bottles for a week or so, then went to goat milk during the day and nursing at night.

I also had difficulty with my production. I did everything I could think of including nursing herbs from herbpharm, oatmeal every morning for breakfast, pumping then offering the breast to DD so she could encourage more production.

My problem was exacerbated by the fact that during the weekend days if we were away from the house, my DD was too interested in what was going on to nurse so it was almost worse for production than pumping was. We had to set aside a few days for us to stay home all day on the weekend so she'd be willing to nurse.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't checked this thread in a while. Thanks everyone for your replies! She only took two two ounce bottles yesterday, so maybe I was just jumping the gun a little. She does take juice from a sippy cup and seems to really like that. She will also drink from a straw and thinks she's all that! She hasn't wanted anything else but breastmilk from the bottle. In fact one day my mom offered her both rice milk and formula from the bottle and she got really upset and refused anything else the rest of the day. That was really hard on my mom, too, so I am back to trying to eek out enough milk to keep her happy. She's funny about mixing anything else with my milk. She's like the princess and the pea! :LOL I can dilute it a little with water without her noticing though, so that's been a big help!

I will keep up the oatmeal, mother's milk tea, and extra pumping for now and let the process continue to happen gradually. I may try fenugreek as a last resort, but the smell really bugged me last time! Plus having to remember to take all those pills. :

Old 03-03-2004, 02:10 AM

I'm still pumping at 13 1/2 months, though Michael only takes 4-6 oz when I'm at work (20 hrs/wk). I pump 2x day, total about 10-12 oz. Not sure why I haven't reduced to one pumping - I think I'm afraid to let my supply drop. Anyway, all this is to say that with so much extra milk I've actually been providing milk for another family in my neighborhood - mom became unable to nurse 2 months ago due to breast cancer and 8 of us pumped enough milk to keep the baby in breastmilk until her birthday last week. You may have friends who are willing to supplement breastmilk during this time of transition.

Michael also does great with cow's milk - he likes it cold from a sippy cup or regular cup. I do make the sitter/dad do breastmilk before cow's milk, though. Good luck!!!

User Tag List