Nervous about returning to work... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the time has come to return to work. My twin girls are almost 3 yo... I was fortunate enough to work from home for the first year of their lives, then was laid off, now I need to go back.

Any words of support/advice/wisdom appreciated. Although they are older and I don't have BF issues, how do you manage your time so that there's enough for children/household/yourself?

I'm already feeling a bit panicked at the thought of keeping all the balls in the air...

Any advice appreciated!
#2 of 6 Old 02-11-2004, 10:29 AM

The best advice I have and I think the hardest to take is to realize that you are going to have let some things go. That means that my house is never as clean and organzied as I would like, we eat a few too many take out/frozen foods during the week (even though they are organic its still too many for my liking!) and the laundry does pile up.

My husband and I really talked thru priorties in advance and we decided that for us a nanny would work best. This meant our son was home, had one on one care and took the pressure of the night time packing up for the daycare, the rush around in the AM getting everyone fed and dressed and into the car. And it allowed us to determine our own time off /vacations as opposed to working around a DCP. Having a person/people that you love and trust watching your child is the key to being able to go to work each day without any worries. If you are nervous about your girls you won't do anything well.

I also found it was very important to find away to decompress on the way home each day. Whether its great CD or a book on tape if you can mentally transfer yourself it will be much easier to walk in the door and not immeditaly think about dinner, the bills, the laundry etc. I spend the first 1/2 hour-45 min. at home just reconnecting with my son. He knows it "his time" and nothing gets in the way. No phone calls, no computer, nothing.

Its never easy but it does get easier! Somehow life just takes over and you just get into a rythmn. Good luck!!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#3 of 6 Old 02-11-2004, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for the advice... I know that I will have to let things go, and that is usually pretty hard for me, so this may prove a good lesson in prioritizing what's important in life.

It may also really help me to keep life organized and maybe even to simplify further!

Thx again
#4 of 6 Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM

I am considering going from PT to FT.

One of the reasons I think I may be able to live with FT better is because my dh will then realize that the home and family are both our jobs. Right now, working PT, I work a FT and a PT job...I figure when I work FT, I'll also work a FT and PT job, and so will dh. He works FT and lapses into a coma when he comes home--because he can.

As long as the house doesn't fall down, I can let it go--if I am not here to see itin the light of day.:LOL
#5 of 6 Old 02-20-2004, 06:43 PM

I find that if I have a tentitive schedule for M-F I am more productive in keeping up with most of my responsiblities. The things that do not get finished get bumped to the weekend or the top of the list for the following week. Just be sure to take at least 1-2 hours for yourself on the weekend to refuel.
#6 of 6 Old 02-23-2004, 07:17 PM

I have a four year old DS and a 20 month old DS (still BF) and have to go back to work. (DH contract wasn't renewed.) I found a great job and they're letting me work 9 - 3 and are rather flexible about child-care issues, so I'm excited, but NERVOUS.

I have some questions:

1. How to explain Mommy has to go to work to bright and overly-attached-to-me 4 year old? He's used to having me around all the time.

2. There is on-site daycare at my new employer or a dear friend who DS adores has offered to babysit at home. What's your opinion? I would have to decrease nursings (or run home at lunch, which is definitely an option) if he stayed at home. The daycare is good, not great, but it would be nice to be able to see him during the day.

3. When do you grocery shop, do laundry, etc.? Have you and DH written out whose job is whose?

Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page