Who looks after your child/ren when they are too sick to go to school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you take the day off work? Have a relative look after them? Pay a babysitter? or ?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 04:31 PM

It depends on the day and the circumstances. Both DH and I have some days where we can work at home, or just totally take off. But we also both have days when one or neither of us is able to do that. In those, thankfully rare, cases, we have been known to use relatives first or a paid emergency sitter as the last resort.

I definitely recommend having a plan in place before you need it since these inevitably happens on the day when you are least prepared and most stressed.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM

Everything Evan&Anna's mom said

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
Old 10-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Me, and me alone.

Thankfully, I work in a single parent, child-friendly environment. I am an elementary school teacher with many colleagues, and even a principal, who are also single parents, so they are all very helpful, understanding and wonderful collaborative problem solvers.

In case of a more long-term sickness, ie more than a week, my mom would drive the 7 hours down from OR to stay with him.

I am a little nervous to write this, so I am going to be doing some serious knocking on wood, but my son is proving to be amazingly healthy. He wasn't sick a single day last year (kindergarden) and only 2 days the year before that in preschool.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Dh or I take off (sometimes we'll split the day) or work from home. In Belgium there is this great service where health insurances also provide a "sick kids babysitting service" for like 2 dollars an hour. They usually need at least half a days notice though, but it's already proven a big help to us several times.

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM

We are very fortunate in this situation. My DP can sometimes work from home, so that's usually our first choice. If he can't work from home then I call my boss and beg her to give me the day off Fortunately my boss is exceptionally nice and understands (I work in a daycare- half the employees have kids so this is an issues that comes up pretty much every week in the fall and winter so the owner usually has a backup plan if someone calls in sick or with a sick kid). If ds gets ill on a school day for me (Tuesday and Thursdays I take classes while ds is in school) and dp can't work from home then I'm forced to skip classes that day. Thankfully that's never happened yet (I have had to skip one class one day this year due to ds being ill and dp could only watch him for my first 2 classes that day).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Another vote for 'depends'.

If I have a heads up, I can occasionally wrangle my mom into watching either (both? lol) of my dds when they are sick.

Having said that, if they're sick enough to miss school/daycare - they usually need me to stay home with them.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Usually, dh keeps them home. But he's working very part-time right now and has that flexibility. Or I'll stay home until dh can be home with them and then go into work later.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM

DH and I usually take turns staying home. We have fairly flexible schedules, understanding employers, and both of us can do some work from home.

Mama to DD : 09/08
Old 10-14-2009, 04:20 PM

i cover it. because dp's studies are more important
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Usually I take off - that is mostly because I have the milk lol I imagine when they are older DH and I will take turns...every once in a while my mom watches them. They had swine flu and I have been off almost everyday for about 2wks because I don't feel comfortable asking someone else to watch them.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM

My DH is pretty much self employed so it's very rare that he can't work it out to stay home when DS is sick. Sometimes if he has a meeting he'll drop DS at my office for an hour or two. I work alone in a sattelite office so as long as I don't have clients in the office I can bring him with me occasionally. So here's our emergency plan in order:

1) DH keeps DS and works from home, dropping him at my office for a few hours if necessary for meeting, etc.

2) MIL/FIL. FIL is retired but works part time supervising the writing of standardized tests for Social Workers and travels about 2 times a month to meet with the team he supervises.

3) He comes to work with me

4) I ask to work from home

We try to have an established game plan at the beginning of each winter and it tends to make last minute illnesses a little bit less stressful for me since DH is worthless when it comes to handling most situations that require decisions to be made

Julie, proud graduate of the AOW 3 year program in the study of boobology . Me : + DH : = Super Bubba !
Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caenach View Post
DH and I usually take turns staying home. We have fairly flexible schedules, understanding employers, and both of us can do some work from home.
This is us, too.

Sarah, with 3.5 yo DD Charlotte + brand new baby Eleanor Jane April 28, 2010
Old 10-15-2009, 04:53 PM

Another one for "it depends" and you need a good solid back up plan.

I get 8 paid "personal" day at work so that covers alot but there are time when I can't use them due to critical meetings, deadlines, etc.

My husband doesn't get paid days but he can do a lot from home so he can still "work" when the sick one naps, veggie out w/ a movie etc.

We have regular sitter who works about 17 hours a week. She can often cover whole days as need. Prefer not to go this routes (too much addtional $$) but it is nice knowing I have her if I need her!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me. I have the more flexible job. It actually makes me very angry - just because my job is flexible (I can basically work whenever I want as long as I get my work done) - it does not mean that it is less important than DHs, yk.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:16 PM

I am in this very situation right now. While fixing my lunch to take Monday morning, I heard Dh say "guess who's staying home with Yahootie today?" Yahootie, DS, 2.5, had a fever of 103.8. It took 2 days to get it down and by the time we took him to the doctor on Tuesday, they diagnosed him with having the flu. I was sick also. I haven't been this sick in over ten years. So I went to the doctor to have some labs done and they wanted me off for the rest of the week. Unfortunately I am out of sick time and vacation, and am afraid I am going to be fired from my job. Which should be interesting because I can see the headlines "School District Employee Fired due to being sick with possible H1N1."

Anyways, if DS is sick, I take the day off. If its more than one day, Dh will take the second day off, etc. My Mother has no immune system as she is on immunosuppresants due to a lung transplant, and there is no one else to ask. Most babysitters I know will not watch a child who is sick.

I wished I could be a SAHM. Maybe if I am fired, my dream will happen.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My sitter will take sick kids (with in reason) DS is 9 and can pretty much manage himself when sick so most days he can go hang out at the sitters.
Most times when sick its asthma related anyway (knock on wood)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM

I have to take it off, most of the time. DH is hardly ever able to take off work with his job right now. We don't have family in the area, either. If DH is on leave then he'll obviously be able to watch him. Luckily I have a lot of PTO to use and understanding bosses.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 AM

This is part of the reason I choose a nanny instead of a childcare center. Dh can't get days off (he really can't get off work even when he is sick) and its very hard for me to do it too. This way we have care at home in the case that either kiddo is sick.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends on alot of factors.

In general we trade off days. We can both work from home if we needs to, so it's not normally a full day off. If DD is really sick, then she sleeps and we can work. There have been a few days where I've taken DD into work with me because she's too sick for daycare (they are really strict) but I've had something that I had to finish and DH had a meeting or something. We take the portable DVD player, some toys/books, and a blanket and she rests in my office. I normally head home at lunch time.

It hasn't happened yet that neither one of us could stay home. But we're lucky and my in-laws are retired so I'm pretty sure that one of them would come and stay with her.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 AM

I can either rearrange my schedule at the shop, take work home or I can take Dylan to work with me. There is a kids' room in the back of the shop. It's used by all the employees (and the boss/owner) when needed. Mostly by the boss/owner's grandkids but when the rest of us need to bring the kids to work, it's there. That's where Dylan hangs out when he comes to work with me.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
Old 10-16-2009, 03:59 PM

My DH is usually able to work from home on those days.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:05 AM

either dh or i stays home with her. it is me more often than not. i want to be the one home with her but i am scared because i ahve exactly 1 sick day left between now and my work anniversary date in 6 mos. no way are we going to make it. sigh.

it is a minor issue between dh and me that his career comes first in this and other regards.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom View Post
It depends on the day and the circumstances. Both DH and I have some days where we can work at home, or just totally take off. But we also both have days when one or neither of us is able to do that. In those, thankfully rare, cases, we have been known to use relatives first or a paid emergency sitter as the last resort.

I definitely recommend having a plan in place before you need it since these inevitably happens on the day when you are least prepared and most stressed.
Ditto--and it'll be the day you have to give a big presentation at work to a bunch of bigwigs that flew in from halfway across the country/other side of the world. In other words, you can't skip out of work that day.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post

it is a minor issue between dh and me that his career comes first in this and other regards.
For us, it's not just a matter of his career coming first as the fact that his clients come first. And in most cases, they should. Dh is a caregiver/driver for a group home for developmentally disabled adults. If he would take off at a moment's notice, there would be no one to take his place in caring for them. In many ways, they are little children and don't understand that dh has another family. To them he, and by extension, the rest of us, are their family. In some cases, the only family they have.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 PM

I used to have a family who homeschooled with 2 teenage daughters and they could take my daughter in a pinch. In general DH and I arrange the time between ourselves - sometimes with split days. We also have a sick-child Nanny service in our town. I've never used it, but I would if I needed to. DH and I both work office jobs and its possible to take time off. Neither of us can work from home.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.

User Tag List