Co-workers offended that I am pumping at work. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-14-2004, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, as some of you know, there are times when I have to pump at my cubicle...and I thought I was being really discreet, but apparently some people are being offended. I wonder if I can get in trouble over this????

Mamasoleil/samson
#2 of 24 Old 02-14-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I just emailed to coworkers who are apparently offended, and asked them to talk to me about it, rather than whispering behind my back....:
Such 'grown ups'

Mamasoleil/samson
#3 of 24 Old 02-14-2004, 11:24 PM

Good grief! Always something to talk about!
Goo dfor you for being so upfront with it!
Before you wonder,get yourself fired up with info.Check with the BF rights in your province and then talk to somebody in the Labour Board about it.Then your boss if the situation arises.

Gee,I wish I lived close(er) to you.Id get ready for an office nurse in!:LOL
#4 of 24 Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Gee,I wish I lived close(er) to you.Id get ready for an office nurse in!
OH, that would be so fun...though they may seriously have heart attacks, they are not the healthiest bunch!!!!!

I'm checking into that right now, thanks sistah!!!!
#5 of 24 Old 02-15-2004, 12:10 AM

ARGHH. Sorry you have to deal with people being judgemental about your pumping.

Maybe you can make this into something good? Get somewhere private to pump?

FWIW, I try to avoid touchy subjects with coworkers in email. Two reasons, (1) tone cannot be communicated and can often be mis-interpretted, and (2) it can be forwarded to others you may not intend.

Good luck smoothing things over with the kids...um, er, co-workers.
#6 of 24 Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 PM

did any of them respond? i think it's great that you emailed them.
keep pumpin'!
#7 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Some of them denied having an issue with it...while another woman answered me, and said, she felt it was wrong. Though she also feels it's wrong to bf in public!:
Anyway, I spoke with my boss, and he said it's probably just a 'knee-jerk' initial reaction...cause it's not something that is done often... But he said, you do what you have to do...don't worry about others...
So, I will continue with my pumping!!!!!
#8 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 10:51 AM

Well I'm glad that your boss is cool with it. That's really all that matters isn't it? It sucks that you have to pump in your cubicle but good job for doing whatever you have to do! I pump in my office but we are moving soon and I will no longer have a private office. I have no idea what I am going to do....

Mama to two wonderful daughers: 02/03/03 and 10/19/05
#9 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamasoleil
Anyway, I spoke with my boss, and he said it's probably just a 'knee-jerk' initial reaction...cause it's not something that is done often... But he said, you do what you have to do...don't worry about others...
So, I will continue with my pumping!!!!!
Wow! Yeah! Fabulous! Yipee!

I'm so happy to hear you have a supportive boss. It can make a world of difference.

Think about it-- you are changing the world a few people at a time. Who knows, some day breastfeeding (and the associated necessities like pumping) may be considered <gasp> NORMAL.
#10 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Quote:
But he said, you do what you have to do...don't worry about others...
That is WONDERFUL! So many times they are worried about everybody else's "morale" in cases like that. It sounds like he has a handle on, if nothing else, your rights!
#11 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 03:16 PM

I'm so happy for you that your boss is so supportive!! That is SO important. I feel so sorry for people who think that pumping or bfing in public is "wrong". Talk about having a warped sense of values. And what a horrible reason for giving formula!!!!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#12 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 PM

I am glad your boss was supportive. Very Key.

I say that if the boss says it is okay and you are in the privacy of your own cube, then people really need to learn to knock.
#13 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 09:58 PM

Great boss, that kind of support is key.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#14 of 24 Old 02-17-2004, 11:46 PM

I just wanted to say go mama . I'll nurse DS anytime, anywhere, but I get sooooo shy about pumping...I get embarrassed when someone knocks on my door! Great job having the guts to do it in your cube, even with unsupportive co-workers!
#15 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 01:10 AM

I'm glad you're doing what you need to do. Bummer your employer doesn't offer a more private place, though. I used to pump in my van with curtains to get away from my coworkers sometimes. They had the opposite problem -- they all wanted to make jokes about it, ask for milk for their coffee, etc. They even tried to set up some inner-office betting about who would pump more, me or another lactating coworker. One would sneak into the break room and check the levels on our bottles. At least they weren't freaked out by the idea!!
#16 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
They even tried to set up some inner-office betting about who would pump more, me or another lactating coworker. One would sneak into the break room and check the levels on our bottles. At least they weren't freaked out by the idea!!
:

Not sure which setting I'd prefer!!!!

Of course I'd rather go pump in private, but the nature of my job doesn't always allow me to take breaks...I'm a dispatcher, and need to be at my desk for the most part!!!!
#17 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 02:27 PM

Mamasoliel, I assume from an earlier comment on this thread that you don't live in the US. I hope you don't mind a brief highjack of your thread.

I wanted to tell others that at least some states (notibly CA) REQUIRE employers to provide a private space, with a lock, that is not a bathroom, and adequate break time to pump. Its too bad that you can't take advantage of such a requirement, but I wanted to provide information to "lurkers" out there.

And now back to the regularly scheduled thread...
#18 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wanted to tell others that at least some states (notibly CA) REQUIRE employers to provide a private space, with a lock, that is not a bathroom, and adequate break time to pump. Its too bad that you can't take advantage of such a requirement, but I wanted to provide information to "lurkers" out there.
Actually, we also have that law here. In Ontario anyway. Read up on my rights

#19 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 12:54 AM

Nat I'm glad it all worked out, although sorry you had to deal with it at all.

Samson needs his milkies right!
#20 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

THanks A~ Yeah, it's all good!!!! Samson hates formula
#21 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoHappy
I'm glad you're doing what you need to do. Bummer your employer doesn't offer a more private place, though. I used to pump in my van with curtains to get away from my coworkers sometimes. They had the opposite problem -- they all wanted to make jokes about it, ask for milk for their coffee, etc. They even tried to set up some inner-office betting about who would pump more, me or another lactating coworker. One would sneak into the break room and check the levels on our bottles. At least they weren't freaked out by the idea!!

>gasp< oh my stars!

Bwahahahahahahahah!

>snort<

Oh, I would have LOVED it if that happened at my office.

Hee, hee.

Not that I had any problems. Its just that I thought I looked really funny...hooked up to the milking machine (I've spent a lot of time in my life on dairy farms, so this imagery came to mind!) and seeing my nipples going "bloop, bloop, bloop" through the translucent plastic funnels. But, few others seemed to be so relaxed about it to be able to laugh along with me. :
#22 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 04:03 PM

Yep, sohj, it was funny. And these were mostly childless people in their 30s through 50s, not twenty-somethings. That's what I got for working in a liberal public radio station. Another funny thing, we could all tell when somebody was pumping in the sanctioned room, because the electricity surged and the lights would pulse in that area of the building.

Mamasoleil, let us know what you find out!
#23 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 06:04 PM

SoHappy: I'm really sorry they were all so intrusive : ; but I would have found it really funny AND annoying at the same time if it had happened in my office. I found it funny and made and still make jokes about it all the time. And, if my coworkers had managed to get over their uncomfortableness to joke, it would have been nice.

To give you a picture....I work in a foundation engineering firm LOADED with men. We are very much "practice based" which means that you've got a lot of, essentially, construction workers with postgraduate degrees and a lot of knowledge of physics and where to order the best water-stop membrane from. And the women are far and few between and many seemed to be uncomfortable with me pumping in the women's room. And we've got a lot of people in the office from an assotment of foreign countries: Iran, Greece, Canada, Germany, Iraq, Korea, Italy, Albania, Czech Republic, and Scotland. And people in my firm don't tend to disappear to other firms at the drop of a hat...so, lots of OLDER men.

edited to ask: did the lights pulse in time to the pumping? :LOL
#24 of 24 Old 02-23-2004, 06:15 PM

When I used to work in an office setting, I used to have major problems with people being offended by my pumping. Fortunately, my boss told them he would rather I pumped at work than miss a lot of time due to a sickly, formula-fed baby.
I have nursed 6 prior children and am now nursing my 7th, for the record. I have always made it a point to seek out family-friendly employment. My heart goes out to you and I hope that your situation resolves itself somehow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page