babywearing, nursing, classes - plans - ??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-18-2004, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am very much considering going back to school after this new baby is born (which is totally against all the plans i had made before!!!). what i was thinking was that i could just take a couple of classes, one of which being the chem class i need (i really need to start chem *now* -- i'm a microbiology major, and if i don't start the general chem classes now it will put me years behind)... getting a sling and wearing the little sprite for most of the day, then having a bottle of breastmilk w/ us so that when i go to chem my fiance can take the baby and if she gets hungry, feed her while i'm in class...

that way i'll still be able to be with her all day, i won't have to use formula, she'll still nurse a ton......

have any of you tried anything like this?

how did it work out? i thought, i could also along w/ chem just take one or two of the other general ed classes i need, and ok the sling thing with the professors beforehand to make sure it's ok, like before i even sign up for the classes...

??? do you think this could work ???
#2 of 5 Old 02-18-2004, 01:33 AM

I took my son in a sling to the majority of my college classes. Many people complained, even though I made sure that my son (who would fall asleep every time he had a full tummy--still does) was tanked up on breastmilk.

It worked wonderfully until he got old enough to want to explore and then I found a caregiver within walking distance of campus. I ran to him and nursed when I could and hung out there between classes.

Good luck to you, it's exciting going back to school!

Amanda
#3 of 5 Old 02-18-2004, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

well, i'm already *in* college, but i had been planning on just going back to being a full time mom when the baby comes; but now i think i'd really like to go back to school come fall.

.... but i don't know.

i'm just having such a crisis over this. i just want to be a fulltime mom again to raise the little sprite the way i raised my first child (but better, because now i know more!) but i also really want to make it to med school.
#4 of 5 Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 PM

if you can, you could have both your fiance and child on campus and you could meet them between classes to nurse. that is what we do because i am uncomfortable brining dd to class and she is uncomfortable being away from me! you can also make sure ahead of time that in an emergancy, your babe could go with.
how old will the babe be when you go back? that makes a difference in how you plan your days.
good luck, it can be done!

louise
mama to juniper
soulmate to ben
#5 of 5 Old 02-18-2004, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

she'll be about 2 1/2 months

i just can't stand the idea of leaving her with someone else during the day, the campus daycare doesn't watch kids that young... but i also don't know if i really want to stay home full-time again, not now, not after having made some friends and started getting my *self* back...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page