Calling all student mumas for help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just want to know from all you student moms engaged in a distance learning program. Are these degrees respected? Are these kinda degrees effective enuf? Thanks for any suggestions!!!!!
#2 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM

Hi!
I'm enrolled in an online program for my Master's in Education. I know here in NYC the degree is respected bc I know many teachers who received their degrees from this college. I think that they are respected- but just like any program make sure you do your research first!
Hope this helps!
Laila
#3 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 AM

I'm currently enrolled in American Military University online and it is a secure, accredited program. Make sure you research their history and reputation first. Good luck!

Nicole, wife to Sean, mother to Afton Reanne Evangeline, a natural birth at a hospital 8/17/2010 8lbs 9 oz 21 inches long.
#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2009, 01:24 PM

I think it depends what school. I was enrolled at Kaplan and paid twice what I would pay for a regular degree and now being enrolled at a "real" university - they won't accept my credits! So it was a major waste of time, my only consolation was my employer paid for it so it was a free waste of time. My advice would be a) either make sure the online program you are looking at is really going to give you what you need and transfer to a real degree or b) do distance learning through a real university so you don't have to worry about it.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#5 of 8 Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post
I think it depends what school. I was enrolled at Kaplan and paid twice what I would pay for a regular degree and now being enrolled at a "real" university - they won't accept my credits! So it was a major waste of time, my only consolation was my employer paid for it so it was a free waste of time. My advice would be a) either make sure the online program you are looking at is really going to give you what you need and transfer to a real degree or b) do distance learning through a real university so you don't have to worry about it.
This would be my suggestion. Check with your state university system. You may be able to take all of the classes you need online, and you would only have to pay in-state tuition rather than the exorbitant prices some distance learning colleges charge, plus you would know that your degree would be respected by other institutions and potential employers.
#6 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM

The perception about online degrees and distance learning courses has changed a lot over the last few years. These programs are treated at par with the traditional, classroom degree programs by both corporate managers and academicians. But make sure the degree you enroll in is properly accredited and the school enjoys a good reputation in the market. Online education has both respect and market value if earned from the right college. Stevens-Henager College, is one of the reputed colleges offering high value degree programs online in business, healthcare, and computer. All these programs are strictly accredited by recognized agencies like Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges.
#7 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

I took distance classes through my community college and they transfered equally with my other community college classes.

I definetely agree with taking course from a "real" university/college, especially if you think you might want to transfer and take course on campus somewhere.

also, from my experience distance classes are MORE work than campus classes, because you basically have to teach yourself the material, do way more reading, etc. The time aspect (being able to do work whenever) worked well for me when ds was really little, but now that he's older (2yo) I dunno if I could find the time to do all the work unless he was in preschool (like he is now so I can go to campus)
#8 of 8 Old 01-11-2010, 07:43 PM

One of the major problems with doing an entire degree online is that when you present your degree to your prospective employers they anticipate that you have a 'well rounded' collegiate experience. In most cases (even with a degree in Liberal Arts) there will be a core curriculum that usually requires at least one science with a lab. It is very difficult to find this at home (although my last college in Watertown, NY offered their intro to Chem course and accompanying lab at home). Make sure that your education is well rounded, and not entirely focused on one thing.

Good luck to you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page