Anyone care to share what their transition to solids was like with a baby in daycare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 6.5 months. I am not in a hurry though I think daycare would like to start giving her a little something at "lunchtime".

But with a baby who sleeps all night, I am thinking like anything she eats while at home should be from the boob since there's not much time even for that. I gave her some peas last night while we were out at dinner (both unplanned). She was having so much fun sitting in the restaurant high chair. But I got hardly any milk from the pump this morning. So do I just not get to be involved in the feeding of solids?

I was curious as to how others handled it. Should it start to replace some of the milk while at daycare? Otherwise, if it adds to it, then it will surely reduce my supply, won't it?

Partner to DH geek.gif and Former WOHM, now SAHM dizzy.gif to Sensory & ADHD DD (9), with DD (4) and DS (2)nocirc.gif winner.jpghomebirth.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing... I would like to know this as well. I was hoping that I would be able to stop pumping so much once solids were started, but it will be hard to not be involved in giving solids.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 PM

In my experience, introducing solids didn't seem to lower my milk supply. My DD still nursed first thing when I got home for months and months (and many times throughout the evening- she was a "snacker") after introducing solids around 6 months.
I can't imagine a few peas would have had such an immediate effect on supply. Any chance there were any other factors involved?
#4 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 PM

I rarely fed my son solids until he was closer to a year old. The daycare fed him whatever solids they wanted and we usually forgot/didn't bother to feed him solids on weekends because he was so much more interested in nursing. When he was about 10 months old or so, we started offering solids at least once or twice a day on weekends...
#5 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 PM

Coming from the daycare side of things (I've worked in this daycare for 2 years, mostly in the infant room). We do generally start inquiring about starting solids around 6 months or so. At this time it seems that the infants are starting to notice their surroundings and, for better or worse, are noticing that other infants are eating foods and they want a part of that! Most parents choose to bring a box of cereal and they basically tell us "do your thing". When that happens we start with feeding cereal once a day (around 11 or noon). By the time they are about 9 months old, most babies are eating breakfast (8am), lunch (11am), and snack (3pm). They all continue to eat bottles between (by that age the bottles are usually every 3-4 hours). It usually works out that they get breakfast at 8, bottle at 9:30, lunch at 11, bottle at 12:30, snack at 3, bottle at 4. Solids do not replace the bottle at all at that age, they simply are something for the babies to experiment with.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#6 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM

My son was in daycare around 6 mos when he started solids. I did the first bunch of feedings myself because it was fun. He was never a huge bottle drinker in daycare, so he tended to nurse at night/when he was with me. So introducing solids actually gave me peace of mind that he could eat something during the day since he didn't take much by bottle. (He started daycare at 5 mos)

Katherine mother to DS 8/03 and DD1 9/06 and DD2 6/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page