rough transition back from holidays off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD, 2 y 4 m, is having a ROUGH transition back to school (a play-based full day program). We had 1 1/2 weeks together, the whole family. During that time we transitioned her from the family bed. This trigggered a lot of bedtime resistance but has mostly gone well. Yesterday and now this morning back at school she has been crying inconsolably. This is so unlike her. This happened only once before (pretty recently), and then it turned out she was sick. DD is an extremely social child, she loves her friends at school, and she adapts to change extremely quickly. I am so worried about this turn of events.

The other thing I can think of (besides that she just got used to being with us 24/7 and prefers that new normal) is that it has been a little hard to get her to wake up and stop nursing (so I can go to work) in the morning for the past couple of mornings. As I said, sleep was way off during the holidays; she stayed up late but then could sleep in late; naps were inconsistent at best. Perhaps she is just way tired.

OTOH, I need her to transition to the workaday schedule. I need to be at work on time, DH needs to be at work on time, and she really benefits (in theory) from being there for the core of the school day, the ritual, etc.

interpretation, suggestions, commiseration, etc. would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was the second day back? Third today?

Give it time. With my slow-to-adapt first grader she needs me to wake her in the morning for school. I have to suck it up and get up a full 20 minutes earlier because it's a better day when we are all not rushing around (and the first day takes longer). My 4 yo has done two full days (one preschool, one daycare) and she's tired. It's only Wednesday. Last night we ALL went to bed early. 2 hrs earlier than break time. This morning was a little easier than yesterday.

Secondly .... don't rush that morning injection of love/nursing/book reading/whatever. Getting your kids off with a full dose of loving goes a long way toward a successful day at preschool/school/daycare. They can't come to you at lunch and snuggle, so they need it at breakfast time.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

User Tag List