GRE study book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good GRE study guide. I am not going to take a class--just study at home on my own.

Also--anyone have tips? I took it a million years ago (about 14), but the scores are no good. That was right after college, so I am a bit out of practice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM

I used Kaplan's, it was pretty good I guess, comes with a CD-Rom for practice.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM

I used the Princeton Review book. Along with their techniques, I did many paper practice test sets (of the quant, which I was most nervous about, but also some of the verbal stuff) from the ETS book of past tests, along with the three or four online practice tests from Princeton Review. I got a great score, and I think the tricks from the PR book combined with luck and ample study (in a two week period) helped me succeed despite my nervousness.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 PM

subbing.. (DH is thinking about taking his)

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have a hard time deciding how to study for these tests. I am a person who sort of naturally does well on standardized tests, so I don't want to over study, which I think can screw you up. That being said, I am sort of out of practice, and it has been years since I had a math class, so I will need to review.

Has anyone ever taken the GRE while nursing a babe? I am worried about the need to pump. I have a few months to study, and can wait until DD is 1 (she is 6 months now), but I am certain she will still be nursing once or twice a day at least!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I have a hard time deciding how to study for these tests. I am a person who sort of naturally does well on standardized tests, so I don't want to over study, which I think can screw you up. That being said, I am sort of out of practice, and it has been years since I had a math class, so I will need to review.

Has anyone ever taken the GRE while nursing a babe? I am worried about the need to pump. I have a few months to study, and can wait until DD is 1 (she is 6 months now), but I am certain she will still be nursing once or twice a day at least!
I was exactly in your boat -- I do really well on standardized tests, but I REALLY needed to brush up on math. I found the Princeton review book really helpful as well. They offer a lot of little tips and tricks that do help. Also, for like $20 you can do this thing where you write four essays and real people grade them. It was good practice for the written section. I wound up making a 670 on quant and a 690 on verbal, so I was pretty happy.
As far as pumping goes, you do get a 15 minute break in between, which isn't long enough to pump. But there are many provisions for special needs. Here's the ETS page on it. I don't know if it mentions breastfeeding specifically but I'm sure you can contact them to ask.
http://www.ets.org/portal/site/ets/m...0022f95190RCRD

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM

I just took the test today. I studied the princeton review book first. I went through it twice and then made flashcards. Then I studied the ETS book. I also did practice tests.

One thing that really helped was watching the little videos of the math dude on our local high school website. He was funny and a great refresher.

That and reading all of the word roots.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 AM

This book was awesome:

The Ultimate Math Refresher for the GRE, GMAT, and SAT

I took the GRE several (ok, many!) years after undergrad so needed to brush up on the math, too. I just used that book and took a few practice tests. I scored a 740 quantitative, which I was pretty happy with.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM

There is a GRE hints and tricks book, I found it very helpful. I also picked up a pack of the vocabulary flashcards. There was another book I loved to help you write the essays - it basically explains the exact format they expect you to write the essays in. It worked well for me and I got a very high score. I did review the math section. But the hints and tricks book was the best after taking the practice exam others mentioned on the CD.

As for pumping. You won't be able to do that. I could not even take my car keys in to take the test - I had to lock them up in a locker!!!

Good Luck!

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11
Old 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM

Subbing. I'm planning on taking it this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post

I'm sure it depends on how sensitive your supply is and how likely you are to get engorged, but I could easily go 6 or 8 hours without pumping when DD was 8 or 9 months (though if I needed expressed milk for her during the day, I would just pump extra before I left in the morning, right after she nursed or right after she went to bed at night) After she was over a year (and sometimes before that even), I didn't even bother to pump when I was going to be gone. She just drank and ate other things. And my supply was/is never affected.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant now, still nursing DD 2-4 times a day, and last semester we went 7-9 hours without nursing 5/days per week. It didn't affect my milk supply at all.

Anyway, it depends on the specific mama and baby, but if your DD will be over 9 or 10 months and eats solids fairly well, I wouldn't worry about pumping during the test at all.

student momma to two great girls

Old 01-17-2010, 06:00 AM

This web site has lots of practice and it's free

http://www.greguide.com/gre-practice-tests.html

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM

This site also has a gre practice test but I don't know if it's free or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
This web site has lots of practice and it's free

http://www.greguide.com/gre-practice-tests.html

User Tag List