I asked to be laid off - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally did it.

I have been thinking about it for the last year it seems. Everytime we had a round of layoffs, I would think okay this is my chance. But it never happened. I have survived three rounds of layoffs since my dd was born. This time I just had to do it. I asked if I could be layed off. The gruop was not even planning on any additional layoffs, just some restructuring between groups.

So it looks like they are going to do it for me. I haven't gotten any specifics yet but I guess it looks promising.

I want to be laid off instead of resigning.

I am still a little depressed about the decision.
I am afraid that I won't be able to find another job when the time comes.

Plus I am a little aprehensive about being a SAHM.

I want so much to be an AP Mom, and lately I have felt very detached from my dd. That is what finally did it for me.

I read this one post and a woman said " detachment breeds detachment". Meaning that once detachment sets in you don't even know wht you have lost. That was just so scary to me.

I am good at what I do I am an Electrical Engineer for an International Semiconductor Company. The company has been very good to me.

This has been one of the most dificult decisions I have ever had to make.
#2 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 PM

What a tough choice. I am sure that you've thought about this so much, and made the best decision for you and your family.

If you want to stay fresh, is there any way that you can do contract work a few hours a week, so that if you ever decide to get back into it you'll have relevant skills and up-to-date contacts?
#3 of 5 Old 02-24-2004, 09:41 AM

work as a chemical engineer in the semiconductor industry myself.

Definitely can understand your decision -- especially with the state of the industry.... my company has had lots of layoffs also... extra work piled on... stress of hanging in there.

Don't look back.... hang in there, and it will all come together!
#4 of 5 Old 02-24-2004, 11:49 AM

I did that a number of years ago. Even though I asked, I also got a severance!! Best thing I've ever done.
#5 of 5 Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM

My DH was an EE for a chip design company...I think it's similar work. And the industry is a bit scary right now. But your time with your baby is precious, and if this is what you want in your heart then do it and don't look back. Keep in touch with your colleagues, keep abreast of latest developments, and if you can do contract work that would also be great. Things have a way of working out when you follow your heart. Good luck!!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page