Nurses, Student Nurses and Pre-Req takers - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 100 Old 06-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
Will I be able to get into nursing school (in about 1-1.5 years, after I finish my pre-req's) if I haven't worked in a clinical setting at all? I'm also working on doula certification right now, so I will have some experience doing that by the time that I apply to LPN school...
Not sure about our town's CC, but Edmonds CC includes clinical experience in its pre-nursing program.

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#62 of 100 Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyhayil View Post
just got to read the updates, keep chugging mamas! Unfortunately the 'word' is that LPNs are being phased out here in delaware. Our three hospitals won't even look at lpns and everything else needs experience (though I apply anyway) I've even looked for volunteer spots and nothing : (
Oh man, that's not cool . I sincerely hope you're able to find your niche soon though!

Alright student nurse mommies, gimme some input. Right now I'm taking pre-reqs (going to meet with an adviser soon to get some, you know, advise ). What I started pondering was I can get my LPN, find a better paying job. While working at better paying job, I can either:

a) keep going to school to get my RN, get an even better job than I had before, then start apprenticing with a MW or attend midwifery school

b) apprentice with a MW or attend midwifery school then go for my RN

c) some other scenario I haven't thought of yet

I also want to get my Master's down the road as well. Right now I'm thinking of going with (b). Although I don't know if I can defer student loans to attend midwifery school? Have to look into this.

Pros, cons of either scenario? I don't even think this post is really all that thought out b/c I'm supposed to be studying right now. I'm trying to write it out and think things through a bit. Just wanted to put it out there, see what ya'll thought. I can provide further clarification on anything if necessary . Gotta go!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#63 of 100 Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 PM

Subscribing

Thinking of going back to school to become a RN
with the goal of becomming a lactation consultant
#64 of 100 Old 06-21-2010, 08:20 AM

Mary Beth, I was in your shoes two years ago- thinking about it, not sure what I needed to do to make going back to uni happen, not sure if it would work with my family commitments, not sure if it was reeealy wanted to do now that I've finally (sort of) grown up. All sorts of not sure things were going through my head. So I decided to try it for one semester, loved it, & continued on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#65 of 100 Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Im a birth doula, CNA, and currently completing my last prereq to apply for the LPN program. I eventually will bridge to my RN as I want to work in the ER or as a Surgical Nurse. I currently work the second shift at a Long term care nursing facility specializing in Geriatric care.

I have 2 LO's and am gearing up to try for a third at some point in 2011 (I start the LPN program in January IF I am accepted.) So yeah, I am sort of crazy haha!

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#66 of 100 Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 PM

abiyhayil- LPNS are not allowed to work in Hospitals here in MA either. But we are allowed and readily hired in Home Health Care settings, prisons, Geriatric nursing centers, and Dr Offices. You might try that route where you live!

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#67 of 100 Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but am subbing so I can later on when I don't have a sick/teething baby asleep on me :-D

So I am considering going into nursing. My background is in childcare--I've been a nanny and a preschool teacher the last few years. I was briefly a CNA, but now that I have a child, I'd really rather be a nanny until my daughter is older. She can come with me to work right now, which is sooo nice. If I was a CNA, I'd be making so little money that I could only afford to pay the cheapest sitter or daycare out there...not exactly what I want for her, especially not at barely 1 year old. So, has anyone ever gone into nursing with little actual medical field experience? Will I be able to get into nursing school (in about 1-1.5 years, after I finish my pre-req's) if I haven't worked in a clinical setting at all? I'm also working on doula certification right now, so I will have some experience doing that by the time that I apply to LPN school...

My goal is to go for my LPN first, then RN...after that, I *think* I want to apply to midwifery school, or maybe just work on becoming an IBCLC.

Also, has anyone run into any issues with going to a community college program? My local community college has a 4 quarter LPN program, then a 3 quarter bridge to RN from there, so I'm kind of excited about that.
This is sort of how my college does the bridge! Actually I think it is exactly the same!

#68 of 100 Old 06-28-2010, 10:54 PM

This is my first post and I can't believe I never looked on Mothering.com for Moms going to RN school! I've been toying with the idea for awhile. I'm already a Registered Dietitian and have a decent FT job. My daughter is almost 18 months and my husband is a SAHD. I'm very close to getting in to an Associates program. I unfortunately can't do a BSN program, b/c they are pretty much all fast-track and I still have to work full time.

So, am I crazy..
1. I will be working full-time (however, the job I have allows for some study time)
2. I will be going to school 2 nights a week after work (2 full days w/o my baby ) and may have to work on a saturday or do clinicals (another day w/o my baby)
3. We will be postponing #2 until I'm out of school (I will be 35 this year)

Pros:
1. Work will pay for some of my school
2. My husband stays at home and is typically helpful

I think I will do it, b/c I have no job satisfaction. But then I think b/c I'm a RD, I could go the LC route. I have such a relaxed job, low stress, somewhat flexible hours, so why I am leaving this? My job right now, I can focus on being a mom.

Then I think I would really love working in L&D or post partum, NICU, but I really don't think I want to do anything else in nursing. The way the job market is right now, I may not be able to be picky which then I will question why the heck did I miss out on 2 amazing years of my daughters life?

I've been in classes since the spring and it has not been that bad, b/c I did study at work and then study after my daughter goes to sleep. My DH is getting the brunt of it.

Anyways, glad I found this thread!!!
#69 of 100 Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanielayne View Post
I have been taking my pre-reqs very slowly. Just finished my second semester FT online at a local college and before that it had been more than a decade since I had been in school. With 5 kids - 3 in elementary and 2 at home - it has been quite a struggle. Next semester I have A&P I and Microbiology which I am pretty concerned about. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do this summer to help me have an easier time? I have taken a medical transcription class that helped me learn some of the meanings of medical terms. Any advice?
I just wrapped up A&P 2. There are some great youtube lectures online. I loved Dr. Goodman's and UC Berkley's Anatomy class by Professor Marion Diamond. She is amazing--writes on a chalkboard and repeats everything! They really helped me b/c my class was online, no lecture. Hope that helps.
#70 of 100 Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the input, mks! I'll take a look.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#71 of 100 Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks1014 View Post
This is my first post and I can't believe I never looked on Mothering.com for Moms going to RN school! I've been toying with the idea for awhile. I'm already a Registered Dietitian and have a decent FT job. My daughter is almost 18 months and my husband is a SAHD. I'm very close to getting in to an Associates program. I unfortunately can't do a BSN program, b/c they are pretty much all fast-track and I still have to work full time.

So, am I crazy..
1. I will be working full-time (however, the job I have allows for some study time)
2. I will be going to school 2 nights a week after work (2 full days w/o my baby ) and may have to work on a saturday or do clinicals (another day w/o my baby)
3. We will be postponing #2 until I'm out of school (I will be 35 this year)

Pros:
1. Work will pay for some of my school
2. My husband stays at home and is typically helpful

I think I will do it, b/c I have no job satisfaction. But then I think b/c I'm a RD, I could go the LC route. I have such a relaxed job, low stress, somewhat flexible hours, so why I am leaving this? My job right now, I can focus on being a mom.

Then I think I would really love working in L&D or post partum, NICU, but I really don't think I want to do anything else in nursing. The way the job market is right now, I may not be able to be picky which then I will question why the heck did I miss out on 2 amazing years of my daughters life?

I've been in classes since the spring and it has not been that bad, b/c I did study at work and then study after my daughter goes to sleep. My DH is getting the brunt of it.

Anyways, glad I found this thread!!!
Have you thought about becoming a doula first?

RD's do seem to have nice jobs. Nursing is not easy, not pretty, is undervalued, but I do enjoy parts of it. The big one being that I can find real meaning in my work, but I get NO accolades from anyone else, really.

And yeah, the job market is tough, even for nurses right now so it might be difficult getting a job in your desired area. But if you know for sure that nursing is what you want to do, and are prepared to trade off a relatively low stress job for an extremely high stress, demanding on-your-feet-at-all-times job, then I say do it.

But try doula work and see if at least that part is more for you. If you love it and want to do the nursing aspect of it as well, then you have a leg up on most other new grads applying for an LD position.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#72 of 100 Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekgolightly View Post
Have you thought about becoming a doula first?

RD's do seem to have nice jobs. Nursing is not easy, not pretty, is undervalued, but I do enjoy parts of it. The big one being that I can find real meaning in my work, but I get NO accolades from anyone else, really.

And yeah, the job market is tough, even for nurses right now so it might be difficult getting a job in your desired area. But if you know for sure that nursing is what you want to do, and are prepared to trade off a relatively low stress job for an extremely high stress, demanding on-your-feet-at-all-times job, then I say do it.

But try doula work and see if at least that part is more for you. If you love it and want to do the nursing aspect of it as well, then you have a leg up on most other new grads applying for an LD position.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, RD's do have nice jobs, typically no weekends and no holidays. I think since I am the provider I want even more job security and even more chance of growth in income. I am one of those worry warts and just feel like I need more security since my husband is an artist. I also was thinking the schedule may give me more time at home, however, I could be wrong since my job right now is pretty relaxed. I also think about years down the road and if I'm still sitting at this desk doing the same thing, I'm going to scream! ha! I would have never in a minute thought I would head down this path especially once I had a daughter. I never thought I would put #2 on hold for a couple of years either. It is really tugging at my heart, but I also want to make a responsible choice for our future. I'm not kidding when I say I change my mind everyday (mainly b/c I am a mom now). I know I will kick myself if I don't try. I thought about the doula route and LC route, but really want to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement and job security I feel I may have more of...ok, i'm just rambling I really appreciate your comments as I need all the help/insight I can get!
#73 of 100 Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM

You could get doula training and do postpartum work on the side until you get in nursing school. This way you don't have to be on-call. It's more scheduled that way. Just a thought.

I wish you the best.

What about critical care RD? We have a critical care RD. She's busy but seems pretty happy. Always moving around our unit, TCU and the other ICU we have. From the outside it does seem to be the same thing every day; calculating the needs and making recommendations. Better than a desk job, though!

Nursing is more dynamic, I think.

#74 of 100 Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM

I just saw this thread. I'm getting ready to apply to a 2 year BSN program (I have a BA in a different field). The program, if I'm accepted, starts in August 2011. I have one year to take any prerequisites I need. So far as I can tell, I need to take Microbiology, Statistics, and a speech class. I'm also applying to a 2 year RN program as a back-up, and for that program I'd need to re-take Anatomy and Physiology because I took them more than 5 years ago, and at this school all the nursing pre-reqs must be less than 5 years old. Oh, I'm also taking a CPR for healthcare providers course this fall at the community college. I've been CPR certified before but only the Red Cross-type cert, not the one for healthcare providers, and it has been several years.
#75 of 100 Old 07-07-2010, 11:59 AM

I really need to get my doula thing in check and start looking into becomming a lactation consultant.

Meanwhile I am a CNA and drowning. I also have bi-polar disorder and between my accelerrated human bio class, 30 hours a week 3-11 shift at a nursing home, and the kids both being sick, I'm going to lose my mind. UGH.

I need to get business cards made for my doula services.

#76 of 100 Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommatoAandA View Post
I really need to get my doula thing in check and start looking into becomming a lactation consultant.

Meanwhile I am a CNA and drowning. I also have bi-polar disorder and between my accelerrated human bio class, 30 hours a week 3-11 shift at a nursing home, and the kids both being sick, I'm going to lose my mind. UGH.

I need to get business cards made for my doula services.
Wow, that sounds like a really full load. I can't imagine being able to handle such a large load. Good job mama for being able to.
#77 of 100 Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 PM

Oh boy. I'm exhausted. I am almost done my second semester of my MA program. I have one more semester to go. I am trying to take prereqs for nursing and I'm just finishing with psych. Also, I am completing requirements to work at patient care tech. Oh, and I'm moving in a month with a three year old, by myself to TX where my husband is.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#78 of 100 Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 AM

goodygumdrops- I am with you!! I am EXHAUSTED and finding it really hard to concentrate! I have my IBCLC exam on Monday, a history exam to study for and an A&P exam to do (which I have put on hold until after Monday!) I need caffeine LOL!!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#79 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 AM

Well I submitted my "nursing intent" forms to the school! Now I just have to wait until FEBRUARY to find out if I got in. Grrr I don't want to have to wait so long!
#80 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 AM

Hello! I would like to join. Starting pre-reqs this Fall, and hoping to be accepted into a BSN-RN program. Eventually I want to get a Master's in Nurse-Midwifery. Originally I wanted to just get a CPM, but I know that CNMs have more versatility as far as where they can work, and a greater scope-of-practice.

I am very much of the mindset that birth is best when Mom is allowed to labor as quietly and comfortably as possible with as little intervention as possible, provided the pregnancy is typical (i.e. not high risk). I previously felt that becoming a CNM would make me fall victim to The System, and that I would have my hands tied on so much of what I could "allow" laboring moms to do.

While this is true to some extent, I realized that big change happens best from the inside, so why shouldn't I join the ranks of other women who are trying to make hospital birth more Mama/Baby friendly? I am a big fan of homebirth, but realistically I know that there are many reasons that the majority of people will continue to birth in a hospital (insurance, fear, pressure of family/friends, no homebirth midwives nearby/legal, etc), even if they want a natural birth.

Anywho, enough of my rant.

Any advice for a nursing hopeful?

-
#81 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivistmama View Post
goodygumdrops- I am with you!! I am EXHAUSTED and finding it really hard to concentrate! I have my IBCLC exam on Monday, a history exam to study for and an A&P exam to do (which I have put on hold until after Monday!) I need caffeine LOL!!
Good luck on Monday I hope to sit in 2011.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#82 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi ladies. I just started my first RN job. And I have to say, I really dislike it. My last eight weeks of nursing school was spent full time in a trauma ICU (they took surgical overflow as well). I LOVED it. I loved the collaboration between docs, nurses, respiratory, wound care, etc. I loved the fact that the patients were seriously ill, but for many of them there was great hope for a return to health and function. I loved the opportunity to really delve into my patients' medical histories, get to understand, in depth their conditions, understand the meds, the treatments, etc. I loved helping with bedside procedures, etc.

Unfortunately, that hospital was not hiring. I got offered two jobs at different places - at a stepdown unit that is 15 minutes away and a MICU that is a hellish commute (an hour and 10 minutes). I took the stepdown b/c of the commute. I'm not in a position to move now, so the commute killed it for me.

For the first 6 weeks, I'm on a med-surg unit. I've just finished my first week. I really don't like it. I'm on an oncology floor, and a lot of the patients are dying long, drawn out deaths - hospital to nursing home & back, demented, bed-bound, lots of pain, families who won't accept their impending death, etc. My preceptor seems like she couldn't care less if I vanished off the face of the earth. All the nurses have to take turns training new nurses, and it was her turn. She made clear she wasn't psyched about it. She snaps at me if I ask a question twice (ex: I asked her a second time where to find doc's orders in the computer, and she snapped that she had told me the day before). She gets annoyed if I want to double check certain things that she thinks are unnecessary (pt was getting magnesium supplement, I wanted to check lab values first - she said the docs wouldn't have ordered it if her mag levels weren't low, I wanted to check last BP & pulse on a pt getting a beta blocker). I dislike the nurse, but I honestly don't like the work either. I'm not sure it will be too much better once I get to the stepdown. The floor has a very high nurse turnover rate.

I don't know what my question is. I'm just very discouraged, and wondering if it will get better. I really loved the intellectual challenge of TICU I was in, and just don't see that here. Maybe I made a mistake choosing this job rather than the hellish commute one. I just don't know...

Any thoughts?
#83 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 02:05 PM

Hugs, Rosehip. No answers from me though...I'm 3/4 through A&P 1, as my first step towards my RN..I've got a long way to go before I'm in a position to worry about positions. Your preceptor sounds awful, can you grit your teeth for 6 weeks? Work on making friends w/ some other co-workers for a little unofficial help getting adjusted to the place?
#84 of 100 Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
Hi ladies. I just started my first RN job. And I have to say, I really dislike it. My last eight weeks of nursing school was spent full time in a trauma ICU (they took surgical overflow as well). I LOVED it. I loved the collaboration between docs, nurses, respiratory, wound care, etc. I loved the fact that the patients were seriously ill, but for many of them there was great hope for a return to health and function. I loved the opportunity to really delve into my patients' medical histories, get to understand, in depth their conditions, understand the meds, the treatments, etc. I loved helping with bedside procedures, etc.

Unfortunately, that hospital was not hiring. I got offered two jobs at different places - at a stepdown unit that is 15 minutes away and a MICU that is a hellish commute (an hour and 10 minutes). I took the stepdown b/c of the commute. I'm not in a position to move now, so the commute killed it for me.

For the first 6 weeks, I'm on a med-surg unit. I've just finished my first week. I really don't like it. I'm on an oncology floor, and a lot of the patients are dying long, drawn out deaths - hospital to nursing home & back, demented, bed-bound, lots of pain, families who won't accept their impending death, etc. My preceptor seems like she couldn't care less if I vanished off the face of the earth. All the nurses have to take turns training new nurses, and it was her turn. She made clear she wasn't psyched about it. She snaps at me if I ask a question twice (ex: I asked her a second time where to find doc's orders in the computer, and she snapped that she had told me the day before). She gets annoyed if I want to double check certain things that she thinks are unnecessary (pt was getting magnesium supplement, I wanted to check lab values first - she said the docs wouldn't have ordered it if her mag levels weren't low, I wanted to check last BP & pulse on a pt getting a beta blocker). I dislike the nurse, but I honestly don't like the work either. I'm not sure it will be too much better once I get to the stepdown. The floor has a very high nurse turnover rate.

I don't know what my question is. I'm just very discouraged, and wondering if it will get better. I really loved the intellectual challenge of TICU I was in, and just don't see that here. Maybe I made a mistake choosing this job rather than the hellish commute one. I just don't know...

Any thoughts?
Don't worry about your grumpy preceptor. You are doing the right thing my checking those values. You know you are CYA and making sure to care for the pt in the correct manner. just keep chuging ahead. I am sure it will get better.

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

#85 of 100 Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 AM

Rosehip, can you go to your nurse manager and explain the difficulty you are having with your preceptor in a nice way? It doesn't seem fair to you and her bad attitude shouldn't be your problem. You should check the lab values if 1 - you feel more comfortable doing so and 2- especially if it's hospital policy.
It sounds unhappy for you and I'm sorry. But maybe if your nrs. mgr. knew you were thinking of going elsewhere because of this preceptor she might be willing to re-assign you. FWIW, I hated my very first nursing job and only stayed for about 6 months.

Even though the facility you liked isn't currently hiring, call that manager and tell her that you loved your time there and to please let you know when a position becomes available. Tell her you are flexible with days and shifts and that should help too. If you haven't heard from her in 3 or 4 months, call her again. It can't hurt anything.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#86 of 100 Old 07-26-2010, 09:42 AM

If there is a culture within the hospital in which you were hired to support nursing, then ask for another preceptor while on the onc unit.

It sounds as if you are built for trauma. You need to continue to diligently find a trauma job, even if it's only on a floor rather than a unit. The job market is not what it used to be (obviously!)

I'm moving out of state, and I am likely going to have to take a job I don't want and I have six years of experience on various units including two in critical care, I have certifications out the ying yang and I still can't be picky. There is a bit of sucking it up you'll have to do, unfortunately, but count yourself lucky in as that you have a very clear goal, and know how good it can be.

And like a PP said, definitely try and keep in touch with ANYONE from the trauma ICU wherein you precepted to get a toe in the door.

New hires often don't work out, esp in ICU, where we tend to spit out those who aren't going to cut it, rather quickly. A job may come up in a month ot two. Keep an eye out!

#87 of 100 Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words Sugarmoon and good luck in your classes!

Thanks Purplevega - it's good to hear some confirmation that I'm not out of my gourd!

Nightnurse - it's actually very helpful to hear that you hated your first job, but that eventually (it seems) you found situations that worked better for you!

Geekgolightly I really, really did love trauma! I'm going to email the TICU crew tonight, actually. I consider myself very fortunate to 1) have a job right now and 2) to have had the awesome TICU experience that I did, so I at least know that there are things I really enjoy out there as possibilities.

Today was slightly better. Though I'm hopelessly slow & constantly asking everyone how to do things, where to find things, etc., I at least finally got my own log on for the computer system so I don't have to ask my preceptor every time I need to document. I am also getting a little more assertive with her. When she gives me a curt "the usual way" in response to my question about how to do something, today I was very clear that I had never done it before, so there was no usual way to me. I also expressed to her my frustration at being so slow in case she thinks I'm just a slacker who doesn't care. I'm going to keep plugging away for another few shifts before talking to any of the powers that be. I've also actually had the rather good luck to have had, each day, a patient who is pleasantly demented. They remind me to live in the moment a bit, and the patients and I have a few laughs. One of them likes to sing show tunes while on the bedpan. I hope no one thinks I'm being tacky or crass, but she really lifts my spirits!
#88 of 100 Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 AM

Hello Fellow Pre-Nurses, RN & LPN's,

I am just at the deciding where to go to school phases and whether or not I should spend the next year tallying up my scores for pref. admission to a BSN program (so taking all pre-req's, some extras, volunteering etc)...and possibly be put on a list for an bi-annual entrance opportunity.
OR
Take a busy 1 yr LPN course, get a job p/t and try to continue with the BSN program which I will presumably gain midway access too having my LPN license.

Anyone BTDT?

My head is trying to make a wise decision...

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#89 of 100 Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
Today was slightly better. Though I'm hopelessly slow & constantly asking everyone how to do things, where to find things, etc., I at least finally got my own log on for the computer system so I don't have to ask my preceptor every time I need to document. I am also getting a little more assertive with her. When she gives me a curt "the usual way" in response to my question about how to do something, today I was very clear that I had never done it before, so there was no usual way to me. I also expressed to her my frustration at being so slow in case she thinks I'm just a slacker who doesn't care. I'm going to keep plugging away for another few shifts before talking to any of the powers that be. I've also actually had the rather good luck to have had, each day, a patient who is pleasantly demented. They remind me to live in the moment a bit, and the patients and I have a few laughs. One of them likes to sing show tunes while on the bedpan. I hope no one thinks I'm being tacky or crass, but she really lifts my spirits!
Your post made me smile. What a great way of looking at things.

I'm not exactly where I want to be in my career at the moment, either, but I keep trying to think that every step I'm taking right now is putting me closer to being the type of nurse I -will- be when the time is right. When you learn things, I've discovered, nothing is lost. I am using skills I learned 12 years ago and thought I'd never use again, least of all in the nursing setting I'm working in right now.

Keep your head up. When the time is right, TICU will happen.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#90 of 100 Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 AM

ooohh! I just found this thread- I'll be going into my second/last year of nursing school this fall. I'm actually excited! I miss all my classmates and I can't wait to start working. I'll be in class during the week and then doing preceptorship in an L&D unit on the weekends. I can't wait!!! Long term goal is to be a CNM. I saw the OP talking about being a holistic NP, did you know there is an organization for holistic nurses? I totally didn't know that until the other week! http://www.ahna.org/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page