Nurses, Student Nurses and Pre-Req takers - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello just wanted to introduce myself. I am just finishing up my application to a MEPN program this year, applying to the CNM/NP track. Just got a divorce, moved back in with my parents, and am a single mama with sole custody of my 1-yr-old... I currently volunteer with labor and delivery a couple hours a week, work as a postpartum doula occasionally in the evenings, and watch another baby along with my son a couple days a week... I am always busy doing something, as I'm sure many of you can relate to... I am also applying to regular RN schools as back-ups if I don't get into a masters entry program... I need to take some extra prereqs this fall since different schools have different requirements (doesn't that suck?!)-- I need to take chemistry and microbiology... anyone know a good online chemistry course that is transferrable to most nursing schools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 100 Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM

So I need to get my butt in gear. Been off from RN school for 3 months and we start up again in 3 weeks. I had panic when I opened my books last night. Could not even read 2 pages before I closed the book. I felt overwhelmed.

I can't believe I am getting overwhelmed from the book. I kinda wish we did not have this break. After 2 years of nonstop school it was nice, but now I feel normal and almost don't want to go back.

I do love school but need to transition back. Anyone else dealing with this after summer break?

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

#93 of 100 Old 08-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanaRose View Post
I need to take chemistry and microbiology... anyone know a good online chemistry course that is transferrable to most nursing schools?
Both of these classes had a lab that had to be taken on campus by my school. Check to make sure your program does not require a lab.

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

#94 of 100 Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 AM

v

#95 of 100 Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Bumping with a question. I read somewhere that the nursing field is getting a little more competitive and the demand isn't as great as it was a few years ago. So I guess my question is would it be worth it to get my adn degree or should I try to get a bsn instead? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
#96 of 100 Old 09-04-2010, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~savah~ View Post
Bumping with a question. I read somewhere that the nursing field is getting a little more competitive and the demand isn't as great as it was a few years ago. So I guess my question is would it be worth it to get my rn degree or should I try to get a bsn instead? Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
honestly, it depends on your finances. it's true that BSN's have a leg up, but during your rotations you can develop a relationship and show your interest which is a good way to get on in a unit. also working as a tech or student nurse in a hospital wherein you wish to start your career is a really good in. you do not *need* a BSN, so, if that would cause undo financial stress, go the ADN route first.

Momma to DS 1, age 8 and rainbow baby DS2 4-21-11.
#97 of 100 Old 09-04-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks for you answer. I can afford either program right now, it is actually the commute that would be an issue more than anything. The adn program is about an hour away and the bsn is more like an hour and a half. Has anyone here ever done a adn to bsn bridge program?
#98 of 100 Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM

HI! I am jumping in here with a question
Is there any online module that I can take to understand them and the interpretation better? I get the basics but am struggling a little

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#99 of 100 Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Had my first day of CNA clinicals today (we need to be a CNA to get into the nursing program at my school). I already knew this, but I can say with 100% certainty now that I never want to go into Geriatrics. Definitely not my cup of tea.
#100 of 100 Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Hello, all!

I'm in my second semester of my BSN program right now, and also just got off of an almost 4 month break!
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplevega View Post
So I need to get my butt in gear. Been off from RN school for 3 months and we start up again in 3 weeks. I had panic when I opened my books last night. Could not even read 2 pages before I closed the book. I felt overwhelmed.

I can't believe I am getting overwhelmed from the book. I kinda wish we did not have this break. After 2 years of nonstop school it was nice, but now I feel normal and almost don't want to go back.

I do love school but need to transition back. Anyone else dealing with this after summer break?

Kim
I have heard soooo many people at school say this! I feel a little the same, but then again, I am so grateful that I had some free time to spend with Ds. Also, my dh is a full time student, and I was actually able to help him with his math homework on his break without feeling like I should have been doing something else!

We are doing Med/Surg this semester and it is our first semester in an actual hospital. I feel good about my placement though. We got a hospital that is a little low key, but gets a good variety. But the best part, is the RN's there love students! So I'm not feeling so worried about being a burden this semester!

I have one other complication this year, which is that my biological clock started ticking again, and I can't ignore it. Ds is going to be 4 this March, and it suddenly dawned on me that I want to have another one before he gets much older! So here we are, actually, TTC in my second year of nursing school. I'll be getting the same LOOOONG break next summer, so the plan is that the baby would be born over summer break. Hopefully it all works out to plan with no big bumps, other than dealing with exhaustion and pregnancy fog while in school. I'm pretty damned determined to get it all, so I'm not really worried about not making it. But just hope my body doesn't throw any curve balls at me in the process!

Good luck everyone and have a great year!

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page