Nurses, Student Nurses and Pre-Req takers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see a current thread but wanted to chat with other student nurses. I have just decided to apply to nursing school ASAP. (LPN for now but my goal is a holistic NP). Anyway I have a LONG road ahead. Just looking for support from others who are in the thick of it!

Right now I am studying algebra on my own (I failed algebra twice, once in HS and once in college when I was doing prereqs for nursing school 18 years ago) I SUCK!!! ok I shou;ld be fair and say I did not fail it (got a D but passed in HS then dropped it in college midway through the semester as I was doing poorly).I do have 6 trimesters of A+P from massage school as well. The school I am hoping to get into will let you try to test in though so that's what I am going to do! I must pass this!!!!! (or have to take another class, ugh!)

:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM

congratulations! I cut out of the RN program early in May to sit for the LPN boards. I had DD in October and just started looking and applying for jobs two weeks ago. I haven't had a call yet and I'm already getting nervous that noone will hire me! For math, it reaally helped me to use an SAT book to refresh on algebra. Good luck!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I plan to get my LPN first because it seems the easiest way to go. Do you plan to go back for your RN someday?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:41 PM

I would really love to get certified as a LC but no more school until my babies are in school!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am a RN, I have mostly been at home for the last few years but have been working on my hours to sit for the IBCLC exam which I am going to do this year. I recently accepted a job offer to create and supervise a bfing program for my local WIC office. I am quite excited about the job (starts next month) because I get to set my own hours, and work mostly from home.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome ladies! So glad to hear about your nursing paths!

Has anyone used Excelsior? I plan to do LPN school locally but would love to be able to do alot of my RN through distance learning classes. (my mom is 1 credit away from sitting for her RN license and used Excelsior and keeps pushing me to go that way..I am just not sure..I know it's cheap but is it good?) Just wondering what others experiences have been?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Do any of the nurses/ nursing students here homeschool? Just trying to figure out how that will work for us. DP and I both WAH PT so it should work, but I will need to work more hours, but not quite FT, to pay for school too (don't want any loans if at all possible)..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:43 PM

I am getting my ma from Union Institute and will graduate this time next year, and then be able to sit for the ibcle.

I am working with a seriously full load over the next year. I need to take 7-10 prereqs, finish my ma, do an internship, and work maybe 10 hours a week. Oh yeah, I'm planning applying to several colleges for a direct entry msn. I want to be a arnp/ibclc.

Whew...I'm exhausted just thinking about it...

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 AM

I just finished my prereqs in fall. I put in my applications for RN programs, now I'm just waiting! I'm working FT as an NAC in a skilled nursing/ltc facility. Eventually I'd like to be a CNM or ARNP.

Mommy to DS (4)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 PM

I am a RN student currently. I LOVE nursing school but hate that I have to live, breath, be nursing school. 8 more weeks to summer break and time to spend with my kiddos.

kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I think I may just take prereqs and go the RN route now. I am just really unsure!

How long was your waitlist to enter RN school?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplevega View Post
I am a RN student currently. I LOVE nursing school but hate that I have to live, breath, be nursing school. 8 more weeks to summer break and time to spend with my kiddos.

kim
I totally agree! I had to stop halfway I couldn't live in all the gossipy BS any longer!

In regards to the wait list, it was supposed to be three semesters, but they revamped their ranking system and i got in the next semester.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 AM

Me too

I'm doing almost FT school right now on prereqs. I have 2 options: first choice is applying the university for their second degree progrm (I have a bach's in literature) more expensive but no wait and I'd get a second BA instead of an associates. Since I want to have the option of going on, I think it's the best route for me.

If not, (It's more competitive) I'll do the local CC's program only it has a 2 yr wait.

I'm doing my energy work business and doula on the side...would like to do something like LC or the like after I get my feet wet. Also wouldn't mind teaching nursing or health...

Nice to see others and hi Peony!!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 AM

Indigo, if you can drive up to Santa Fe, there is no wait. That is where I am going now, and plan to apply for the nursing program. Though, in your situation I'd definitely try to get into UNM first -- just mentioning SFCC in case it's an option.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 AM

I've decided to sell my house and move in with my in-laws so I can attend school full-time to become a nurse. Haven't even started the process of applying yet, so I have a very long road ahead. But I'm excited!

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolilybear View Post
Me too

I'm doing almost FT school right now on prereqs. I have 2 options: first choice is applying the university for their second degree progrm (I have a bach's in literature) more expensive but no wait and I'd get a second BA instead of an associates. Since I want to have the option of going on, I think it's the best route for me.

If not, (It's more competitive) I'll do the local CC's program only it has a 2 yr wait.

I'm doing my energy work business and doula on the side...would like to do something like LC or the like after I get my feet wet. Also wouldn't mind teaching nursing or health...

Nice to see others and hi Peony!!
Hey there! I've been wondering what you have been up to, and now I know. Glad to see you.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi! Cool thread

I just enrolled for my first prerequisite, and will be taking one or two classes each term on Saturdays until I can apply to nursing school. I have a bachelor's and want to go into a BSN program so I'll have options to get my masters if I want. There are quite a few programs in my area (lucky me!) but they're all competitive. I'm worried about being a student with kids- never done this before!

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

Old 03-10-2010, 12:13 AM

Hi! I'm currently an RN student; and so thrilled to see other student/nursing Mother's on here - it's so hard to "be" nursing school all the time and have time for the family. I'm a first year nursing student; so I still have a little while till I'm finished with my RN licensed and schooling. What's rough is that I initially started out as an art school student; and haven't taken ANY math since Sophomore year of HIGH SCHOOL (which is approx. 6 years ago - I've been in college four years now). Unfortunately, none of my credits transferred (obviously) and I'm studying Algebra on my own, any tips?

Ashely - Expecting stork-suprise.gif Home-Birthed Baby in February 2011. Full Spectrum Birth Professional.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:39 PM

I wanted to say good luck to all your pre req takers. YOU CAN DO RN SCHOOL AND BE A MAMA. I am living proff. I am doing well in school and my kids are doing fine with me in school. It took a little time to get to the "new normal" but it happened and we are all doing great with the new schedual.

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

Old 03-15-2010, 11:53 PM

hello mamas! I'm in my second semester of pre-reqs for the RN associates program and on the waitlist. Im planning on taking the summer off to get certified as a nursing aid and then in the fall work pt and take 2-3 classes...can it be done? am i kidding myself? i've heard it can be beneficial to work as a cna while in school....thoughts/advice?? TIA!! Also, once in the program is it usually M-F all day?

solo-student-mama to 3 crazy kiddos
Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am thinking of becoming a CNA too! I just want to work weekends though/ very part time. Probably won't do that until after baby is born though but we'll see..

Right now I am enrolling in a math class (starts next week) then prereqs until next fall when I can start the LPN program (2011). I'll then look for a LPN to RN then RN to BSN program after that. It boggles my brain how much schooling lies ahead! Also how I will pay for it! (I don't plan on taking out loans but paying out of pocket as I go) Hoping I qualify for some grants or can get scholarships eventually or something..there is a site online for looking for educational grants. does anyone know the URL?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing I'm supposed to be studying right now actually . Erh, yeah. Lemme get on that...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attachedmomto3 View Post
hello mamas! I'm in my second semester of pre-reqs for the RN associates program and on the waitlist. Im planning on taking the summer off to get certified as a nursing aid and then in the fall work pt and take 2-3 classes...can it be done? am i kidding myself? i've heard it can be beneficial to work as a cna while in school....thoughts/advice?? TIA!! Also, once in the program is it usually M-F all day?
It varies. The first semester for my program was basically M-F most of the day, 8:30 or 9-to 3:3:30, sometimes 4. After that it varied according to clinicals, I might have a day or two off one week, but then the next week was crazy busy. Clinicals can be 12 hours or longer for hospital based ones, we did nights but never weekends. My friend is currently in a different program then what I did and she has clinicals on weekends as well. What days I did have off during the week were always used for studying for some massive test or paper. For hospital clinicals, we had prep the night before as well. After school was over you had to go to the hospital where you were assigned a patient for the next day. You had to go home and create a care plan for that patient and report back at 6am with your careplan. Once we progressed through the program, we no longer had to do that.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm doing my pre-req's full time right now and hope to start nursing school next fall. My DH graduated from nursing school last year and I'm freaking out because he was never home and I don't want to miss out on all the time with the kids, but I know it'll be worth it in the end.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Hi mamas!

Nursing school is rough, but do-able. I was in school from DD 9 mos old till she was 2.5. I did miss out on a lot, but I don't regret doing it, as I'm now able to make a decent income while only working PT.

I've been an RN for almost 2 yrs, and I'm just now training in the specialty that I want to be in... yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
I am getting my ma from Union Institute and will graduate this time next year, and then be able to sit for the ibcle.
I've looked into this program- have you been happy with Union? I would love to get an ma, esp. if I could do it online! Did you become a lactation counselor before starting the master's program?

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM

Hey mama's another student nurse here! I'm in my 2nd semester of school- in the psych clinical which has been intense!! I have loved school for the most part- I will hopefully be finished next spring- unless I break up the 3rd semester to have more time for my my girls!
Best of luck to us all!!
Erykah
Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 AM

Looks like I'm going to fit in here. Starting in the fall I'm in the pre-nursing program at CSU-Pueblo. This is my first time in college, though I'd taken some courses at a tech college back in 95. The credits aren't transferable though, but I think it's for the best. I need refreshers on them.

I never took SAT's or ACT's so I had to take Accuplacer tests. I did great on English, but did really bad on algebra. Not surprised, but I have to take two refresher algebra classes which don't count toward the nursing pre-reqs. So in the fall I'm going to be taking 17 credit hours, and same with the spring semester, in order to stay on a 4 year plan.

All that's left now is to find out what my financial aid package will be, and find daycare for my girls.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:51 PM

about to start pre-nursing- joining in!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothi View Post
about to start pre-nursing- joining in!