s/o: HOW do you stop pumping at work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-19-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 12 months old and has pretty much stopped being willing to take bottles from his nanny. He eats solids very well and we've also just introduced cow's milk in a cup. He still nurses a lot when I'm home. (One weekday + weekends, evenings, overnight.)

If he were drinking the milk, I'd be willing to keep it up, but it's annoying to come home and see the bags just sitting there in the fridge. I think it's time to wean off pumping. But how do I do that safely? I've just recently gotten over a case of mastitis, so I'm nervous about getting overly engorged.

I currently pump twice a day, at around 11 and 3, for 15-20 minutes each time. Should I shorten the sessions? Or try to stretch the time between pumping longer and longer?

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 PM

I'd start by shortening the sessions. One week go down to 10-15 minutes, the next week 5-10, then down to once at work for 5minutes & then stop the next week. If you notice any problem starting then you may need to take it even slower, but for 4 days a week this should work.
#3 of 28 Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 AM

I just weaned off the pump last week, and it is WONDERFUL. DD was 1 on V-Day.

Here's what I did. I was pumping once a day 'till empty. I started timing how long I was pumping, and just reduced by a minute or so every 3 days. Obviously some days were better than others. Once I was down to a few minutes each day, I waited until I had a short week and didn't do it. Yay!

For me, it has been a big relief. Although it's weird coming home without any milk every day.

ETA: I guess I would do both: shorten the sessions gradually, go down to one a day, then shorten that one in to nonexistence. Good luck!

#4 of 28 Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 AM

I dropped one session just stopped, I found I could go without it, then I shortened the other one. I skipped some days, but was full enough I still had to on others. It was a haphazard thing for me, but man was I glad to be done!! DS was about 13 months when I was totally done pumping during the day.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 28 Old 02-21-2010, 11:31 AM

I went from 2x at work to 1x at work and then I gradually reduced the pumping time of that session. I was still pumping in the morning before work. I was also still nursing him at night when I got home and before bed. Once my body started adjusting to just a morning and night feeding, I was able to reduce the morning pump time. Eventually I stopped feeling like a was ready to explode in the morning and finally I was done with the pump by his first birthday. It felt so freeing! He nursed at night for the next 4 months and then he stopped.

Ryan 08-28-08  & Julianna 5-3-11
#6 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM

I also had problems with mastitis, so I hear your concerns. I have oversupply too: I gradually decreased one session until it was gone and then did the same with the second one. I never had a problem with supply in the evenings or weekends by the way.
#7 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM

I decreased the duration of my sessions to start with, then cut out the one that was closest, time-wise, to a nursing or another pumping (my pumping break schedule wasn't perfectly symmetrical).

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#8 of 28 Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM

I did pretty much the same as the PP's mention. One suggestion though, take the milk you are still pumping until you stop and have the nanny use it in your child's foods. That way, still gets the nutrition from it and its not wasted. Anywhere you would use milk like oatmeal or rice cereal or whatever...Also, my daughter pretty quickly refused to take a bottle from anyone, but would easily take the milk in a sippy cup. So while you are weaning yourself off pumping, try that.
#9 of 28 Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM

I just posted something very similar in a different pumping @ work thread...
But I pumped from three months (when I went back to work) to 12 months. On DS's 1st birthday I totally quit.
I think of it as though I quit cold turkey but I really did cut back over the 9 month period:
3-7 months I pumped 15+ oz a day (3 times usually)
8-10 months I pumped twice a day, 10 oz total (two bottles. this was when he started to eat solids and was having yogurt every day)
11 - 12 months, once a day, 5 oz total. He was now eating quite a bit of food.

I never had mastitis but I did have a voracious milk supply, I think in many ways due to pumping... Once I stopped @ 12 months, I was sort of engorged during the day, but I would BF right away when I got home and it never became a real concern, more like an aesthetic embarrassment -- especially because towards the end (and still!) my Left boob was really producing more than my right, so that would be the only side engorged! WTF.

Anyway, the super engorged period only lasted a day or two - and then my body sort of figured it out. I'd rather take the engorgement than the pumping. Couldn't stand pumping, though I will totally do it again if there's ever a #2! Felt so good to keep him on breastmilk only for so long!

loving momma to babyboy.gif born 11/2008, and his baby brother diaper.gif5/2012, just trying to stay balanced namaste.gif

#10 of 28 Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM

It's been too long for me to remember the number of times I decreased my pumping sessions but I followed the advice from www.kellymom.com for weaning from the pump. It was very gradual over a few weeks.
#11 of 28 Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM

With #1, I was already having increasing trouble responding to the pump and was having to pump longer and longer to get enough for the next day (I worked PT so I only pumped 1x at work). So it wasn't a problem at all (but then, I was only ever dropping one breast-emptying session).

Both times, I started cutting my pumping sessions shorter, so less was being tapped off, sending my body the message that I didn't need to produce so much at that time of day anymore. I didn't have to taper off too slowly, because of the aforementioned PT work.

savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

#12 of 28 Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozziemama View Post
I just posted something very similar in a different pumping @ work thread...
But I pumped from three months (when I went back to work) to 12 months. On DS's 1st birthday I totally quit.
I think of it as though I quit cold turkey but I really did cut back over the 9 month period:
3-7 months I pumped 15+ oz a day (3 times usually)
8-10 months I pumped twice a day, 10 oz total (two bottles. this was when he started to eat solids and was having yogurt every day)
11 - 12 months, once a day, 5 oz total. He was now eating quite a bit of food.

I never had mastitis but I did have a voracious milk supply, I think in many ways due to pumping... Once I stopped @ 12 months, I was sort of engorged during the day, but I would BF right away when I got home and it never became a real concern, more like an aesthetic embarrassment -- especially because towards the end (and still!) my Left boob was really producing more than my right, so that would be the only side engorged! WTF.

Anyway, the super engorged period only lasted a day or two - and then my body sort of figured it out. I'd rather take the engorgement than the pumping. Couldn't stand pumping, though I will totally do it again if there's ever a #2! Felt so good to keep him on breastmilk only for so long!
This is what I did. I just dropped my last pump last week. It was really hard for me emotionally, even though we are still BFing at home (he's 13 months). I feel selfish and sad that I'm not bringing milk home for him just because pumping was getting to be a PITA. Like another poster said, it feels really weird to come home without bringing milk with me. Every day I feel like I'm forgetting something.

The thing is, DS wasn't really even taking a bottle during the day because he was so caught up in play and solid food. So the guilt is all put on me by me.

So, while you've gotten great practical tips that should truly help, don't be surprised if some emotional stuff happens when you stop pumping, too. I'm not saying you will feel that way, but if you do, be gentle to yourself and let yourself feel the loss.
#13 of 28 Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 PM

YES re: emotional stuff. And also -DangerMom - our DSs sound very similar re: not really taking the bottle/cup of milk during the day because of solid food and play...
I actually have been reflecting on this emotional piece a lot, and what I am thinking is that when I stopped pumping during the day, my hormones really fluctuated as milk production adjusted. I actually was really emotional, and though I think it was certainly a reaction to the transition - DS is getting older, pumping (while I hated it) was part of the routine around his babyhood, end of an era type of feeling.... But like PMS, I think my emotions were heightened b/c of some serious hormonal activity.

loving momma to babyboy.gif born 11/2008, and his baby brother diaper.gif5/2012, just trying to stay balanced namaste.gif

#14 of 28 Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute to this, but along the same lines, for all those that stopped pumping at about a year, how much longer did your LO continue to night/weekend nurse (I know someone said 4 months...)? My daughter just turned 1, and I'm still pumping 2x a day, and HATE pumping, but really don't want to give up nursing her when I'm with her. Thanks!!
#15 of 28 Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm the one who said 4 months. You don't have to give up nursing even though you stopped pumping.

#16 of 28 Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM

you totally do not have to give up nursing when you stop pumping! your body will still produce the milk it needs... I'm still bf-ing twice a day - now into the 5th month since stopping.
the reason it was easy to stop @ 12 months for me was that at that point DS was very clearly getting much nutrition from solid food and could drink cow's milk or fortified soy milk as well...
he doesn't really drink that much milk in general - occasional sips here and there. he eats a lot of yogurt though, and drinks healthy juices and water. So anyway, point is that stopping pumping is liberating once you have the reassurance that your LO is getting the nutrients s/he needs from food, and you still can breastfeed as long as you want!

#17 of 28 Old 03-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHopesMomma View Post
Sorry, I don't have anything to contribute to this, but along the same lines, for all those that stopped pumping at about a year, how much longer did your LO continue to night/weekend nurse (I know someone said 4 months...)? My daughter just turned 1, and I'm still pumping 2x a day, and HATE pumping, but really don't want to give up nursing her when I'm with her. Thanks!!
I stopped pumping at a year because I couldn't take it another day. DD hasn't noticed. Although it's only been a month, I don't see her need/desire to nurse wanning.

#18 of 28 Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHopesMomma View Post
I stopped pumping at some point, although I really don't remember when... My DD nursed until she was 4!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#19 of 28 Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
So anyway, point is that stopping pumping is liberating once you have the reassurance that your LO is getting the nutrients s/he needs from food, and you still can breastfeed as long as you want!
My DS was very much into food when he turned one. He loves to eat and eats everything especially if you're eating it. After he turned 1, if he wanted to nurse he would yank on my shirt. Towards the end I would offer before bed and he would take a couple of sucks, but after a few times of that, he stopped on his own. Now I don't know if it was because of my milk supply or because he wasn't interested anymore. Now I just rock him before bed so at least I still get some cuddle time with him.

#20 of 28 Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM

For those of you who stopped pumping at a year... what did your DC drink during the day?

My pedi just told me DD should be drinking at least 16 oz of some kind of milk during the day.

I'm so tired of pumping. But DD vomits if she drinks straight whole milk, it has to be cut with breastmilk and she is fine.

But back to... I'm so tired of pumping...

Any advice?

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#21 of 28 Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM

i stopped pumping at a little over 1 year. and i started sending almond milk for his nap time bottle. he nurses at home and at night and probably gets 12+ oz during this time. i work full time. he nurses lots on the weekends. he is 20 months. i dont think you need to send cows milk at all. at one of my sitters my ds does not have a bottle anymore at all. only for my mom and the ocassional sitter. its just or comfort with them. he drinks water from a cup now. they really dont need cows milk during the day.

#22 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

For those of you who stopped pumping at a year... what did your DC drink during the day?

Water - juice - sometimes soy milk, sometimes cow's milk. He's actually just now getting into cow's milk - at 16 months, and I stopped pumping at 12 months. He eats a lot of yogurt - I really think that counts, if they are getting enough liquids and eating yogurt, cheese, broccoli, other stuff with calcium and fat.

#23 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinekristine View Post
i stopped pumping at a little over 1 year. and i started sending almond milk for his nap time bottle. he nurses at home and at night and probably gets 12+ oz during this time. i work full time. he nurses lots on the weekends. he is 20 months. i dont think you need to send cows milk at all. at one of my sitters my ds does not have a bottle anymore at all. only for my mom and the ocassional sitter. its just or comfort with them. he drinks water from a cup now. they really dont need cows milk during the day.

No need to send cow's milk at all - I just do it sometimes.

#24 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Is there anyone who is sad at the thought of giving up pumping? My DS is almost 10 months old, and is not very into solid foods yet, so I'm sure I will be pumping after he turns 1, but I know that eventually he will take less and less BM and I will have to stop pumping at work.

The thing is... I don't mind pumping at work. It's nice to get away and take that break 2-3 times a day. And I am also very afraid of losing my milk supply.

DS started daycare at 8 months and has become very clingy since then. My boy who was never a comfort nurser before now nurses about every 2 hours in the mornings before work and all day long on the weekends.

So this is my question: If you stop pumping at work, and just nurse mornings and nights/overnight during the weekday, will your body still produce milk all day long on the weekends? I can't see my DS giving up nursing all day when I'm around, even after he turns 1.

Mom of 2 feisty boys and 1 busy business --Tmuffin--where we help moms connect through birth, babywearing, play, and parenthood.

#25 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbutterflykissesm View Post
Is there anyone who is sad at the thought of giving up pumping?

The thing is... I don't mind pumping at work. It's nice to get away and take that break 2-3 times a day. And I am also very afraid of losing my milk supply.
Yes, I am! Same as you -- I love the breaks at work -- no one bothers me for 30 min twice a day and I love it. I am also very afraid of losing my milk supply. Plus, I also kind of am sad that he won't NEED my milk as much anymore. He already hardly nurses (only at night), and now if I cut pumping I'm terrified of drying up.

Quote:
So this is my question: If you stop pumping at work, and just nurse mornings and nights/overnight during the weekday, will your body still produce milk all day long on the weekends? I can't see my DS giving up nursing all day when I'm around, even after he turns 1.
Hoping someone knows the answer to this...

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#26 of 28 Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 PM

I hate pumping as well! DDis 10 months and I pump 1-2x at work, depending on how long a day I have. And although I hate pumping, I will be so sad to stop because it will mean an end to an era in her life. I also am traveling more and I have a pretty good freezer stash, but I am afraid if I don't pump enough while I am gone that I will lose my supply. I breastfed DS for 2.5 years and now DD, would I lose my supply if I only pumped 3-4x a day while out of town for 4 days?

We create our own reality.
#27 of 28 Old 03-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsandfeet View Post
Hoping someone knows the answer to this...
I stopped pumping @ 12 months and still produced enough milk to BF on nights, mornings, and weekends, YES.
Of course I realize that people have different milk supply and this might not be the case for everyone, my understanding is that the supply/demand system for breast milk works REALLY well.
Only now - that I am almost 100% weaned, 4.5 months later - am I starting to think my supply is drying up.
But DS only nurses very briefly at bedtime. That's all he is asking for - and I think it's comfort not milk that he wants.
I still nurse him of course, but I am starting to wonder if anything is actually coming out?!

#28 of 28 Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 PM

I'm slowing weaning off the pump. DD just turned 11 months, and I plan on not pumping much more after she's a year. I hate pumping, I'm responding less and less to the pump. But yes, in some ways I will totally miss it and it makes me really sad that I won't be giving my mom those precious little bottles of pumped breastmilk everyday. I'm pumping 2x a day (down from 3-4x a day), getting a total of 2 4oz bottles. When she turns one, like the DAY she's one, I will start pumping 1x a day and shorten sessions over time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page