Job Search Dilemma + federal jobs question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-04-2004, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking for a new job for about 2 months. Right now, I work at a private law firm as an attorney. I have a 4-day/week schedule, but when the work gets busy, that goes right out the window.

I went on an interview yesterday at an agency that provides legal services to battered women. I would love this work - I also have a social work degree, and this is the kind of thing I planned to do when I finished law school. But, it would be a pay cut (which we could afford with planning), and I'd have to go to work 5 days/week. And, it's a grant-funded position, which means that it could be gone suddenly. On the flip side, my commute would change from 45-minute train ride (read: always standing around waiting for late trains making it even longer) to a 20-minute drive; plus it would be much better training for my long-term goals of doing family mediation.

Am I crazy for even thinking about doing this if I'm offered the job? Is the extra day of day care going to be terrible for DS (he loves it there, but it is an extra day). Any advice?

I'm also waiting to hear about a position from the U.S. Dept. of Education. Does anyone know, do they wait to contact people for interviews until the close date of the job search? I sent in my resume a few weeks ago, but haven't heard yet - but the position isn't closing until Friday.
#2 of 11 Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 PM

I can't see how going from 4 to 5 days is going to be a huge adjustment for your child. And of course you know that salary isn't everything! You sound excited about this prospect - go for it, and good luck!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 11 Old 03-05-2004, 12:27 AM

I think you should take the job if it is a better fit for your passions & values. Would it be a family-friendly place to work? If so, maybe there are other ways you trade off for the time away from ds... (Like if it's easy to take time off, get home earlier, etc?)

I agree with Piglet - the money part will work itself out.

Good luck in this transition!

mb

teapot2.GIF Mama to my sweet girls: notes.gif (2/02) and energy.gif (2/08) and brokenheart.gif 3/11 and now belly.gif  EDD 5/24/14
#4 of 11 Old 03-05-2004, 01:40 AM

I agree with the OP about going for a job you really love, and maybe in the future you could renegotiate you workweek (4 days) if you want to.
I have no idea about when you would be contacted for an interview, but as a general rule, I would always follow up any application with a phone call, if at all possible. If they do wait until the closing, they'll let you know then.
Good luck!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#5 of 11 Old 03-05-2004, 01:40 AM

Wow, the legal services job sounds really cool!

From my experience at DOJ, a hiring/interview process can take forever. We used to get 400 resumes for one opening, and to tell you the truth we never bothered to send ding letters. Once the application period closes, I would wait a week or two then call and ask about what their timeframe is. More than likely, you will need to make a decision if you get the legal services job before the feds have gotten their ducks in a row to interview people.

Although I will hope for my sake that I am wrong and that you have two great job offers to choose from soon!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 11 Old 03-07-2004, 10:42 PM

Go for it, Kofduke!! And I totally second whoever mentioned follow-up phone calls. Don't be shy, just ask where they're at in the hiring process.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#7 of 11 Old 03-08-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I haven't gotten a call back yet from the legal services job...I think it's not going to happen . I think the fact that I am as upset as I am about it means that it probably would've been a good move - which gives me courage to keep looking for this type of work.

Now that the Dept. of Ed. job closed for resumes, I will probably call in the middle of the week to see what their timetable is in terms of hiring.

Thanks for the encouragement, mamas!
#8 of 11 Old 03-09-2004, 12:17 AM

Kofduke, don't get discouraged so quickly! For the legal services job, I would say the same thing; follow up on the interview with a phone call. If they've already decided on someone else, you don't lose anything, and they may even remember you more when another opening comes up. On the other hand, if they're still trying to decide, you'll have an edge if you show you're really interested by following up. One way to do it is shortly after the interview call (or write a note) thanking the person for meeting with you, the opportunity to learn more about the organization, or something to that effect.
Anyways, that's my two cents.. Good luck!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#9 of 11 Old 03-09-2004, 02:37 AM

I used to work for a Federal agency and my guess is that they will not call you until awhile after the job posting has been closed. But call and check in with the contact person.

As far as jobs go, most federal jobs are great - good pay, supportive work environment and good benefits. It's worth looking for and applying for them.

Good luck.
Kathleen
#10 of 11 Old 03-23-2004, 05:04 PM

Kofduke, I'm an attorney with a federal agency (NLRB) that is painfully slow in conducting hiring. I'm not sure if all are like that, but I can't imagine it would hurt to call. Good luck and trust your instincts!
#11 of 11 Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM

I think you should follow your heart, and to me it sounds like you really want to take this job if offered to you. I'd go for it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page