Has anyone majored (or is majoring) in Anthropology? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
(If you have any recommendations for a graduate program, that would be so totally welcome. So far I am leaning towards Oregon State and Washington State)
I'd figure out who you want to work with, and then find out where they are and check out the programs. Whose articles inspire you? Whose research interests you?

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
#32 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter
 
KaylaBeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The South...for now
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm taking an archaeology pre-req this semester (along with other boring general studies) and I'm not loving it. I wonder if I'd be better doing my emphasis in cultural instead.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif
                                      

KaylaBeanie is offline  
#33 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM
 
Contrariety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The UC
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak. I finished my BA in Cultural anthro the semester i found out I was pg with DS. I had planned on going to midwifery school and then somehow marrying the two together eventually, probably in some research capacity while working on my masters/phd.

Increasingly, I feel less compelled to return to anthro. If I were to go back to school now, I'd probably get another bachelor's in diveristy or gender studies and try to work in that field somehow... something that I could still come home to my kids every night with, you know?

as is, I use my degree every day to raise my children. I would NEVER be rearing my kids the way I do if it weren't for my anthro studies, which I tried as much as possible to focus on women/children with what was available at my school.

If you asked me before i went to college if I would have breastfed (especially extended BF), that would have been a resounding no way in hell, as it really squicked me out. Wouldn't have worn my babies, probably wouldn't have homebirthed, most likely wouldn't have co-slept either... good chance I would have circed, etc.

i'm not entirely sure there is a future in anthro for me that is compatible with raising my kids for the next 20 years, but... I'll still be young enough to return to if I feel the call after the kids are out of the house.
Contrariety is offline  
#34 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I'd figure out who you want to work with, and then find out where they are and check out the programs. Whose articles inspire you? Whose research interests you?
Well, let's see.. so far I know of 4 universities that have professors that are doing what I want to do. Those are Oregon State (Melissa Cheyney a medical anthropologist who is also a homebirth midwife, and studies birthing, reproduction, breastfeeding, etc), Washington State in Pullman (many professors who focus on mother/infant areas), Notre Dame (James McKenna, an anthropologist studying mother/infant sleep patterns), and University of Delaware has Katherine A. Dettwyler, a breastfeeding anthropologist. I am pretty certain that I can convince DH to move to Oregon or Washington.. I am not so sure about Illinois or Delaware.. they are really, really far, lol.

ETA: Never mind of Notre Dame.. looks like they don't have a masters program, only undergrad

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#35 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, Kathy Dettwyler's not actually breastfeeding anymore... I think her youngest is in his twenties now.

It sounds like you're more interested in the biological side of med anth, which is not me... I know a lot of people working more in the cultural domain of birth and fertility issues. I also know one professor (not at my university) working in this area whom I would NOT want to work with - she's nowhere you've mentioned so far, but she does do more biological stuff...PM if you want more info.

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
#36 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
Well, Kathy Dettwyler's not actually breastfeeding anymore... I think her youngest is in his twenties now.

It sounds like you're more interested in the biological side of med anth, which is not me... I know a lot of people working more in the cultural domain of birth and fertility issues. I also know one professor (not at my university) working in this area whom I would NOT want to work with - she's nowhere you've mentioned so far, but she does do more biological stuff...PM if you want more info.
LOL.. I didn't mean she is an anthropologist who is currently breastfeeding, I meant an anthropologist who has studied and focused on breastfeeding.

I would rather do my emphasis on the cultural aspect, but would consider biocultural too.

PMing you

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#37 of 60 Old 09-15-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Unoppressed MAMA Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exactly Where I'm At
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Must de-lurk to say hey!

I'm back in school this semester to finish my (cultural) anth BA. Unfortunately, it is really kicking me hard, and the adjustment to school-as-major-priority is not going well for me. I stuck my homeschooled babies into school so I could make it happen, but it's still sucking me dry and I'm a major caffeine junkie.

I'm telling myself 'one semester at a time', like I'm in AA or something. But my work is crap and I'm faking it to make it, for sure. I am really, really not feeling the pull in so many different directions. I want to quit, but then I'd be miserable, too. Waaahhh. I wish I had signed up half-time, that would have made more sense, but I want to graduate, dammit!

My baby-daddy has an anth BA and manages to keep us alive financially as a shovel bum, but it's not glorious. I tell my fellow classmates that if you want to do that route, you might consider buying an RV and mating with a fellow shovel bum. You can rad unschool the kids by following each other around and alternating jobs, so everyone keeps their brain sharp and is never far from their babies for long. I'm not into the archaeo aspect of things so much, I'm fully intending to incorporate my DIY childbirth ambitions into a senior project and beyond. As late as last month I figured I'd go to grad school soon, but now I don't even want to think about it until my kids are grown.

I miss my babies just being in class two nights a week. I feel so torn, like my intellectual needs are at war with my instinctual needs to care for my offspring.
Unoppressed MAMA Q is offline  
#38 of 60 Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
Must de-lurk to say hey!

I'm back in school this semester to finish my (cultural) anth BA. Unfortunately, it is really kicking me hard, and the adjustment to school-as-major-priority is not going well for me. I stuck my homeschooled babies into school so I could make it happen, but it's still sucking me dry and I'm a major caffeine junkie.

I'm telling myself 'one semester at a time', like I'm in AA or something. But my work is crap and I'm faking it to make it, for sure. I am really, really not feeling the pull in so many different directions. I want to quit, but then I'd be miserable, too. Waaahhh. I wish I had signed up half-time, that would have made more sense, but I want to graduate, dammit!

My baby-daddy has an anth BA and manages to keep us alive financially as a shovel bum, but it's not glorious. I tell my fellow classmates that if you want to do that route, you might consider buying an RV and mating with a fellow shovel bum. You can rad unschool the kids by following each other around and alternating jobs, so everyone keeps their brain sharp and is never far from their babies for long. I'm not into the archaeo aspect of things so much, I'm fully intending to incorporate my DIY childbirth ambitions into a senior project and beyond. As late as last month I figured I'd go to grad school soon, but now I don't even want to think about it until my kids are grown.

I miss my babies just being in class two nights a week. I feel so torn, like my intellectual needs are at war with my instinctual needs to care for my offspring.
Hey, welcome! That sounds like a fun gig to be a shovel bum with the family.. but I hear you, I am much more interested in cultural than Arch.

Sorry you are having a rough go at it.. how old are your kids? Mine are 3 and 1... my 3yo is in preschool and my 1yo stays home with DH during my classes and seems to be handling it very well so far. I was pretty worried.
-------------------

In my news, I should be getting into the Anthro Honors program at my school! And the professor that I met with was super pleasantly surprised by me and my interests (His field is anthro of childhood) and is going to be my mentor I am soo excited and also VERY VERY nervous about the extra work and the senior thesis!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#39 of 60 Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a B.A. in Anthropology and I took the archaeology field school. I have a career as a research analyst with an excellent cultural resource management firm in the Southwest. I focused on fieldwork until I had ds, and then was given the opportunity to train for an analyst position.
I love my job and where I work. I do not make enough money to support my family on my income alone, although many people here with higher degrees do.

Unless you have a spouse who has a flexible job or stays at home, fieldwork with children can be difficult. It's just not a schedule that is flexible like being in the lab, it's a rigorous schedule with firm deadlines. I miss it
Hoopin' Mama is offline  
#40 of 60 Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know, I think this thread can become a really great resource! I love how there are different levels of Anthropology represented in here: undergrads, those still in grad school, and those out in the field or post-grad. I love it!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#41 of 60 Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My personal feelings are that Anthropology (as a degree) never closes a career door, but it doesn't necessarily point to an open door either.

Quote:
From what my professor has said, it's possible to get a job as part of a team with a bachelors, with a masters you can teach at community college and work higher up within the team, and a phd is great, but unless you want to do your own research, you can make it just fine without one.
This is very dependent on what sort of Anthropology you do and what sort of salary you need! Being "part of a team" with a BA often means working on a physical dig or project, essentially as an intern or volunteer. So if you're interested in physical anthro/archaeo and don't need to support anyone other than yourself this is an option but if you're supporting a family it's not a great chioce for long. I've looked for teaching gigs with my MA (from Columbia University at that!) and I have to say, even in "school rich" environments like the Boston Bay Area, putting together a life as an associate professor/adjunct professor/speaker at community colleges is hard. You might spend hours each day commuting from one school to another, your work load is totally unpredictable since a lot depends on the incoming class, and health insurance isn't a given. And full faculty positions or, the holy grail of academica, full tenure track positions are few and far between. The women I know who have committed to tenure track academic paths have had to make some big sacrifices. Anthropology has more female faculty than many other disciplines but academia is still stacked against women with families!

I don't mean to discourage... I have a BA and an MA in anthropology and I LOVE anthro, I don't regret my choices... but it's important to go into this field with eyes open. Anthropology has lots of use outside of academia so if you're willing to be creative there are hundreds of options! I've worked in education, research, consulting, even graphic design all as a result of my anthro background. The military and various government agencies are always interested in anthropologists if you're ok with that sort of work (especially if you have a few languages too). Applied anthropology is in demand for corporations and international businesses, museums and law firms need anthropologists too (especially when dealing with First Nation or Treaty law, the Dawes Act, day to day curation, etc). And you could always go all CSI... either straight up forensic anthropology or with a combined degree in Anthropology and Forensics (there is a nice forensic program at SUNY Albany that would be perfect as an "add on" to an anthro degree). Like I said, a degree in Anthropology doesn't close doors. But it isn't a degree with a clear cut progression... you get to be creative and build your own future.

Oh, and what I realized was that I adore research and information. I'm going back to school to complete a library science degree. My ultimate goal is to work in an anthropological collection, like this one or in a more general research library that has an active anthropology collection (so most liberal arts colleges or research universities). MMMmmmm.... bliss!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#42 of 60 Old 09-17-2010, 12:58 PM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
this is my hero in anth

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/ted-...sity-video.htm

and i hope to work for the UN. i want to teach part time too. i wanna work for indigenous rights - mainly land rights - but not thru law. and in policy. if australia was able to return some land to the natives under certain conditions, perhaps we might here too.

the greatest thing about being a single mom is i have no family to hinder me. my area of focus is Latin america. and i probably will be living down there or travelling a lot. dd is older and cant wait to go do research with me in the next few years.

wombatclay i looooove research too and right now am volunteering my time doing research on shells and their use for our local native museum. and loving it. trying to figure out all the shell collections - where and who has the major collections as well as literature on it.

and here's the thing that i have taken on personally. is find out the dissertation papers of graduating phds. just for myself. so many fascinating topics.

 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is online now  
#43 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think an M.A. in most non-professional Masters degrees are not very useful, to be honest... IMO an MA in anthro really only serves to qualify you for low-level teaching positions, or possibly for a applied position in something like consumer research. Student going for a terminal MA degree are unlikely to get much funding, either.

I'm actually at an anthro conference this weekend, in Kansas... it's fun!

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
#44 of 60 Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if programs like BARA in Applied Anthropology are most useful with a masters degree? Something like that in conjuction with a concentration in Native American Studies could be useful. Or anthro along with library science, or curation experience.

http://bara.arizona.edu/
Hoopin' Mama is offline  
#45 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Unoppressed MAMA Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exactly Where I'm At
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
Hey, welcome! That sounds like a fun gig to be a shovel bum with the family.. but I hear you, I am much more interested in cultural than Arch.

Sorry you are having a rough go at it.. how old are your kids? Mine are 3 and 1... my 3yo is in preschool and my 1yo stays home with DH during my classes and seems to be handling it very well so far. I was pretty worried.
-------------------

In my news, I should be getting into the Anthro Honors program at my school! And the professor that I met with was super pleasantly surprised by me and my interests (His field is anthro of childhood) and is going to be my mentor I am soo excited and also VERY VERY nervous about the extra work and the senior thesis!
Thanks mama. My kiddos are 7. I waited way too long to go back, should never have taken more than a semester off. Lessons learned, eh?

Congratulations on the Honors path! That's super-exciting. And a mentor...yum. I am super-happy for you. Please keep us updated?

I'm only in one anth class this semester, Survey of Applied Anth.I love the professor, who is also my advisor and has been there since I left years ago. But I'm having to catch up on some first-year stuff that they won't let me bypass solely on my ultra-coolness. Gotta take history-for-all-freshmen that as a senior in anth, feels very 'yawn' in the way it's presented.

Think I'll get an MA in US History, and possibly pick up a double major in gender/women's studies while I'm an undergrad.
Unoppressed MAMA Q is offline  
#46 of 60 Old 09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
Thanks mama. My kiddos are 7. I waited way too long to go back, should never have taken more than a semester off. Lessons learned, eh?
aaah mama dont say that!!! i went back when my dd was 6 and in school AND comfortable with me taking time off from her.

i just could not manage before that. dd needed me and hated to be in dc more than she had to. i am a single mom.

so i have a 7 year gap in my studies.

but i came back a different person. before that my priorities were much different. i was married and planning a family and so was looking for what i could do from home. i know. i know so well had i continued i would be back to where i am today because i am done with just chasing a paycheck.

to say i am interested and inspired is an understatement. and it shows and opens doors for me everywhere. this is my passion - my life. not just a job to be done. so i have written to professors and leaders all over the world and do you know what? they write back. we 'talk' thru email. we connect. i have enough 'stuff' in my 'extra curricula activities' that proffs assure me that i will get into any program i want to no matter what my grades.

would i have connected with this passion had i just taken a semester off to have my dd and go back to school? nope. no way. SHE was my passion. she was my everything. in fact i did go back part time and took intense ECE classes to finish the degree requirements because i wanted to open a daycare... etc.

but i am so glad i waited. or rather life happened and i couldnt return earlier. i never imagined this part of me existed. if you even told me a year ago i would be - intellectually, emotionally, psychologically where i am today - i would not have believed you.

i wish the same for you mama. you have not wasted time.

 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is online now  
#47 of 60 Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Unoppressed MAMA Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exactly Where I'm At
Posts: 1,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
aaah mama dont say that!!! i went back when my dd was 6 and in school AND comfortable with me taking time off from her.

i just could not manage before that. dd needed me and hated to be in dc more than she had to. i am a single mom.

so i have a 7 year gap in my studies.

but i came back a different person. before that my priorities were much different. i was married and planning a family and so was looking for what i could do from home. i know. i know so well had i continued i would be back to where i am today because i am done with just chasing a paycheck.

to say i am interested and inspired is an understatement. and it shows and opens doors for me everywhere. this is my passion - my life. not just a job to be done. so i have written to professors and leaders all over the world and do you know what? they write back. we 'talk' thru email. we connect. i have enough 'stuff' in my 'extra curricula activities' that proffs assure me that i will get into any program i want to no matter what my grades.

would i have connected with this passion had i just taken a semester off to have my dd and go back to school? nope. no way. SHE was my passion. she was my everything. in fact i did go back part time and took intense ECE classes to finish the degree requirements because i wanted to open a daycare... etc.

but i am so glad i waited. or rather life happened and i couldnt return earlier. i never imagined this part of me existed. if you even told me a year ago i would be - intellectually, emotionally, psychologically where i am today - i would not have believed you.

i wish the same for you mama. you have not wasted time.
Aren't you kind!

I just kind of feel like I may have missed my own boat....Or more accurately, like the boat that is my life has long ago sailed from the BA continent, and now I'm jumping off trying to swim between a further-cruising ship and the still-there land mass. I've been working this week to close that gap, to bring the ship back to shore, so to speak.

Thank god for my applied course, because the only other crap I'm taking is boring research writing and freshman history. Those are tired and tiring, but the anth course is interesting enough to hang on for. And next semester, I get to take 2, I think. Whee!

How are you (and everyone else) hanging in there?
Unoppressed MAMA Q is offline  
#48 of 60 Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM
 
bella99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a BA in Anthropology.

I work in foster care for a private non-profit.
bella99 is offline  
#49 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 01:08 AM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
yikes i'm apprehensive about those boring classes i dont really want to take.

btw mama it took me a whole years of fear before i felt settled in as a student. before i felt i knew where i was going. before that i felt like columbus. THIS place is India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
How are you (and everyone else) hanging in there?
this semester i am taking it easy. i have taken really heavy semesters since i went back and when last semester i overheard my dd telling another classmate 'i am not sure we can do that because mama has to study', and when she told me 'you get this look mama when you are tired and that means you need to go to bed' - i decided to slow down.

so i am having a GREAT semester and doing a lot of stuff with dd.

in fact we just came home from one biiig party. we did her bday as a camping birthday party this weekend so it was one loooong party. a tent and a bright moon was awesome!!!! i have never heard her giggle so much continuously as i have this weekend

 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is online now  
#50 of 60 Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 PM
 
sparklefairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The way to survive "boring" classes is to keep telling yourself that you get out of it what you put into it.

Sometimes I just do the minimum required to get an A because I am busy and have children. Sometimes I go way above and beyond, either on assignments or in the reading because I find something that delights me and I run with it.

This semester, this looks a lot like googling whatever topic the professor touches on for more information because they all seem to speak really slowly and as this is my last semester on campus before my senior internship, I'm down to the last couple classes in my major and minor, so they are fairly repetitive.

Thank goodness for my primate behavior class. She assigns about 100 pages of reading every week, but it never gets boring!
sparklefairy is offline  
#51 of 60 Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 AM
 
JordanKX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
t it's important to go into this field with eyes open. Anthropology has lots of use outside of academia so if you're willing to be creative there are hundreds of options! I've worked in education, research, consulting, even graphic design all as a result of my anthro background. The military and various government agencies are always interested in anthropologists if you're ok with that sort of work (especially if you have a few languages too). Applied anthropology is in demand for corporations and international businesses, museums and law firms need anthropologists too (especially when dealing with First Nation or Treaty law, the Dawes Act, day to day curation, etc). And you could always go all CSI... either straight up forensic anthropology or with a combined degree in Anthropology and Forensics (there is a nice forensic program at SUNY Albany that would be perfect as an "add on" to an anthro degree). Like I said, a degree in Anthropology doesn't close doors. But it isn't a degree with a clear cut progression... you get to be creative and build your own future.
Wombat... I really enjoyed this post, because of the potentials. My B.S. in anthropology is, well, just a B.S., but it's been useful on the resume for So many reasons - working with people, understanding diversity, customer relations. It might sound like a stretch, but really, Anth does provide you with a skill-set, you just need to word it right in the job interview.
I think a degree in Anth OPENs doors - while it might not translate as well as sociology (unfortunately), it houses all the same elements, if not more, in my opinion, because it gives you an open to Global organizations and not just those in the US.

What I'm finding now in Graduate school - for Adult Education - is that the Applied Aspect... the style of writing, problem solving, at least with my undergrad school (WCU)... the SKILLS that I learned in my undergrad translate to my graduate work. I've done action research - this is all we did as undergrads. I really think they were training us for armchair positions (because I was cultural, not arch or physical). Find a problem - research a solution. This is an invaluable skill, that you can tweak for SO many job potentials. So, it's more than saying you have a degree (at least for me), it's the skills you learned while obtaining that degree.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
JordanKX is offline  
#52 of 60 Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
KaylaBeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The South...for now
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm dragging up this old thread to say hello again, and to update everyone!

 

After changing my mind multiple times (a brief Spanish major, then History for several months) I am contentedly back at anthro with a graduation date of December 2013! Emphasis will be in physical/biological anthropology, as I'm hoping to go on and get my masters and PhD in forensic anthropology. I really didn't like archaeology as much as I liked, but the second half of the class I was taking a year ago focused on bones of ancient humans and hominids, I was in heaven! I'm now at a real university (no more CC) and excited to start working in my department, as this semester I'm finishing up my minor classes (History) and what's left of my generals.


treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif
                                      

KaylaBeanie is offline  
#53 of 60 Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Indigo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southeastern CT
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am majoring in Social Sciences with minors in Anthro & History.  I might be adding Native American Studies as well since I need the hours anyway...  


My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

 
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Indigo73 is offline  
#54 of 60 Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM
 
alaskanmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not an Anthro. major....BUT I fell in love with Psychology and decided that was my major lol... a few classes in, and I wasn't as passionate about it, but had done enough classes in the psych field I declared it my minor. I'd PERSONALLY do a few more Anthro. classes before declaring! But whoohoo on finding something that you're in love with, it's truly a remarkable, rewarding feeling :).


Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

alaskanmomma is offline  
#55 of 60 Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
KaylaBeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The South...for now
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanmomma View Post

I'm not an Anthro. major....BUT I fell in love with Psychology and decided that was my major lol... a few classes in, and I wasn't as passionate about it, but had done enough classes in the psych field I declared it my minor. I'd PERSONALLY do a few more Anthro. classes before declaring! But whoohoo on finding something that you're in love with, it's truly a remarkable, rewarding feeling :).



Haha, at this point I just need to graduate lol.gif

 

I met with the head of the anthro department today, it was excellent. We talked a lot about the track I'm doing (physical) and what I'd like to do in graduate school (more physical/forensic). It turns out that one of the professors in the department is a physical anthropologist who works for the state department as a forensic anthropologist, so I will be assigned to him! So very exciting. I love our department, it's medium sized so there are plenty of resources and opportunities, but small enough so that it's very personal. My spring schedule is a dream, and I'm going to take 2 classes this coming summer, bumping my graduation date up to May 2013. 


treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif
                                      

KaylaBeanie is offline  
#56 of 60 Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
 
mamapigeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm majoring in cultural anthro, taking an archaeology class this term too. I wasn't expecting to like it, but it's pretty neat. I have no clue what I would have as a career if I needed to work (the plan is to be a SAH after school). That kind of makes me want to switch majors to something with more job openings.


tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

 

 angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

mamapigeon is online now  
#57 of 60 Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have I posted in here yet? I am an anthro major... undergrad right now, with the intention on getting a PhD. My focus is cultural reproductive anthropology :) I LOVE it.. but I realize there is not much I can do with it without a graduate degree.


stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#58 of 60 Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Dar
 
Dar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone else planning to be at the AAA's in Montreal next month?

 
fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif


  

Dar is offline  
#59 of 60 Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Is anyone else planning to be at the AAA's in Montreal next month?


I would love to be there, but I'll be 8.5 months preggo!

 

I went to the SCCR conference last year, and had SUCH a great time.


stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#60 of 60 Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
 
Indigo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southeastern CT
Posts: 2,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am giving thought to continuing my education, with just two semesters (well after finals next week), I guess I should be contemplating schools.  I know I could stay at my current school and tailor a program that fits me, but I am also eyeing Brown which has a Public Humanities masters program.  

 

How many schools should I apply to?  I guess I need to corner my adviser.  wink1.gif


My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

 
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Indigo73 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off