I feel my job is beneath me... or maybe I'm just that much of an idiot I can't get anything better - Mothering Forums
Working and Student Parents > I feel my job is beneath me... or maybe I'm just that much of an idiot I can't get anything better
AtYourCervices's Avatar AtYourCervices 03:06 PM 04-08-2010
I work in customer service. I take over 100 calls a day for a frickin' magazine group. MAGAZINES.

"CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP!" they yell.
"YOU'RE A SCAM!" they scream.
"You should find a better job..." they tell me. That one gets to me, a lot.

I've had this job since before the economy really went down the tubes. I had been trying to find better employment for years. Something in my field. Nothing. I get rejected. Then, I see people who do get hired for the jobs I want, and inevitably they're just a friend of the person who was doing the hiring.

I've gone to college for five years. I have an A.S. (Social Sciences), working on my B.S. (in Midwifery). My grades are excellent. I was involved in the student government, and several committees at the college. My resume is fine education wise, I just haven't been given the chance at a career in my field. My references are great. I have a lot of friends (just none of them are hiring in my field), so I don't think it's my personality that's holding me back. Usually I'm very upbeat, but this has been getting to me.

My best friend (who works with me) just went on one interview for a job she wanted, and she got it because she knows 2 people who work there. She never went to college. My husband was just offered an amazing job he never even applied for that's FOUR TIMES the amount he makes now, because he's friends with the guy who's hiring (the big downfall is that we'd have to relocate to a state that I wouldn't be able to practice in when I graduate the midwifery program). Meanwhile, I keep applying for jobs i want, and I don't even get an interview.

It just doesn't seem right to me, that I'll be going from being a lowly CSR to owning my own homebirth practice in a couple years. I don't have any increase in responsibility. I don't get any experience working with clients (besides the births I'll be attending as a doula on the side already, but that can't pay the bills).

I thought with this much education, by now I'd get something in my field. But I can't even manage to get an interview. I just got another rejection letter in my e-mail. I'm not even getting a shot.

DirtRoadMama's Avatar DirtRoadMama 03:16 PM 04-08-2010
I felt this way when I was in my last year of college. I went from working the front desk of a small hotel to, uh, something a lot more prestigious. I thought it was insane. Nothing had happened, other than a few more classes finished and a piece of paper with my name on it. It feels stupid, but that is the way it tends to be.

For the interviews, it's hard to say why you aren't getting a call back. I'm sure you've looked at the obvious things (are you qualified, did you spell check your resume, etc). So, I'm stumped, too.

However, if you have a job that is easy (although stressful with people yelling at you), it might be a blessing in disguise. Working at that hotel was definitely below my capabilities, and I was treated like an idiot (I worked the front desk). When I left, the owner's mom says to me "Good luck in, uh, whatever it is you are going to do" because she couldn't remember what my new job was going to be. I reminded her (with plenty of smugness) and her eyes bugged out of her head. However, I had a TON of free time, and I used it to help get my homework done. So, is there an upside to your situation? If nothing else, think of how happy you will feel when your major career change happens all at once! Huzzah!
justKate's Avatar justKate 06:37 PM 04-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtYourCervices View Post
I work in customer service. I take over 100 calls a day for a frickin' magazine group. MAGAZINES.

"CANCEL MY MEMBERSHIP!" they yell.
"YOU'RE A SCAM!" they scream.
"You should find a better job..." they tell me. That one gets to me, a lot.

Just wanted to comiserate. I work on the phone too--something to do with hearings and unemployment. You know what keeps me sane? I try to remember that it's just a job. When I leave at the end of my day, I don't think about it again until I walk in the door the next day. When people are rude, I make a game of being nice to them. They have no idea who they're talking to, and you know what? I'm glad. It's a job, a means to an end. You're moving towards your goal, and that's what matters.

Keep the faith, mama!
inky leeuhhh's Avatar inky leeuhhh 03:45 AM 04-09-2010
i feel you. i work in a daycare, and while i know working with kids is important, ect... i get tired of being thought of as a "babysitter". i work in an affluent area too, and everyone is really snotty. everyone drives a bmw and makes a million dollars an hr. i make a point of letting everyone know i'm in college. i'm not sure they care, but it makes me feel better. bah.
Carita's Avatar Carita 11:45 AM 04-09-2010
((hugs))

maybe you can use those friends that are in those jobs you want as network contacts. Let them know that you want a career thre and if anyting comes up let them know. I broke into many of the jobs I've had through volunteer work, and going out and making connections with people. If you have to know someone to get a job in your desired field, then by golly, go out and get to know lots of people
AnnaNova's Avatar AnnaNova 02:18 PM 04-10-2010
i sometimes feel just like you do. i have a masters in a field that has absolutely no market where we live.most people i work with MAYBE graduated highschool. i keep reminding myself that it pays decently, we have health insurance and benefits and so on.
i was reading a book recently on job hunting, however, and it had this paragraph about the dangers of getting A job to pay the bills (which is what this job was intended to be) and then you get sucked into the routine and dont have time to do actual job hunting anymore, and before you know it, ten years have gone by and you are still there. That almost made me cry.
i am starting school in summer, so hopefully this won't be my case, but oh, this is hard, and i totally understand you.
2xy's Avatar 2xy 03:11 PM 04-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I try to remember that it's just a job. When I leave at the end of my day, I don't think about it again until I walk in the door the next day. When people are rude, I make a game of being nice to them.
I am in school and also work as a waitress....currently with a national chain at a location that seats close to 300 people, and we're always busy (sometimes with more than 150 names on the waiting list to be seated). People can really suck sometimes....that is true.

I heard a saying once that I try to keep in mind...."When someone is rude to you, be kind in return....not because that person is nice, but because YOU are." Yep, it's just a job.
geekgolightly's Avatar geekgolightly 03:25 PM 04-10-2010
have you thought about working as a nurse's aid in a hospital setting? this could help to prepare you to be so physically close to people in a vulnerable state. being a nurse's aid isn't super fancy, but it's certainly better than what you're doing (IMHO) and you'll be closer to the type of career you're going for.
HappyMommy2's Avatar HappyMommy2 03:40 PM 04-10-2010
You are right, it is all about WHO YOU KNOW. So perhaps you should start networking.

Are you on LinkedIn? If not, do it! It is free and easy to get started. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day, so don't stress about your full profile at first. Connect to professional people, not just friends.

You should join a professional organization in the field you want to go into. And watch for announcements of events where you could meet others in your field.

Get free business cards online, and pass them out. Ask people if they want to connect with you on LinkedIn. Let everyone know what you are looking for.

Good luck mama!
AtYourCervices's Avatar AtYourCervices 02:24 AM 04-11-2010
I have an embarrassing confession to make... I'm 29 years old, and I've never gotten my drivers license. I basically didn't see the need to before, and I didn't have the funds to get and maintain a vehicle before. I've noticed a lot of the jobs that I'm interested in require a drivers license to go to clients' homes, so I haven't applied. I know this has hindered my job search. Today, I reconnected with a lot of my old acquaintances/friends who are connected with an agency I would like to work at. Tomorrow morning I'm taking the 5 hour pre-licensing course, and I've been practising driving this week. Hopefully, I'll be able to take and pass my drivers test in the next month or so. Then, I could possibly get a job that's in my field.
AtYourCervices's Avatar AtYourCervices 12:57 PM 05-08-2010
I just wanted to give everybody an update!

I took the 5 hour course, realizing from this thread how much not having my license was holding me back. I've been practising driving, and I have a road test scheduled on Tuesday.

I applied for a position at the agency I previously mentioned, and I went on an interview on Thursday. They immediately called me back for a second interview. This one will last 2 1/2 - 3 hours. They'll take me on a tour of the facilities and introduce me to all the other people who work there. I already know a bunch of people who work there, however.

There are two positions available right now. One is as a child care counselor/teacher's aide, and the other is just as a child care counselor. I would be assigned to a specific group home for at-risk youth. There is a school across the street from the group homes that is specifically for children with learning/behavioural problems, run by the same agency. I would follow the kids to school, and help their teachers there, filling in as head teacher if the primary teacher was not available for the day, or if they're called away for any reason. It teaches grades 1-12.

I think I have an excellent shot at getting the position if I just get my driver's license on Tuesday. I used to live there in the children's home. I wasn't one of the bad kids, honest! I just had a *really* bad home life (my mother is severely mentally unstable), and the state stepped in for my protection. It's been almost 13 years since I left, and a lot of the same old staff are still around, and they remember me. There was an Open House on Thursday, and a bunch of the kids from the mid-90s came in for a reunion. We met up with the staff and had a ball!

I really hope I pass my road test and get this position!
VisionaryMom's Avatar VisionaryMom 03:05 PM 05-10-2010
Good luck! I hope it works out for you!
justKate's Avatar justKate 03:19 PM 05-10-2010
Yay! Let us know how it works out.
blizzard_babe's Avatar blizzard_babe 03:36 PM 05-10-2010
Ooh, sending you happy driving vibes!
AtYourCervices's Avatar AtYourCervices 09:21 PM 05-11-2010
Well, shucks, I failed the driving test.

The guy told me to "Turn left here", and we were coming up on an alley/dead end type road. I thought for a few seconds that he wanted me to go down there to practice three point turns, so I got into the turning lane. I stopped (there was oncoming traffic), and I asked him if he really meant for me to turn down that road. He said "No, I meant up there..." which was a street about 100 feet up ahead. I signaled to turn out of the turning lane, and went to look before turning, and the guy started reaching towards the wheel, and he barked out "Not yet, there's cars coming!"

Uh, yeah, I knew that. That's why I was looking. He panicked. I panicked. I started shaking, but finished the rest of the road test, doing everything else fine (even parallel parking). I knew I already failed, though. It's automatic failure if the driving instructor grabs towards the wheel in fear of a potential accident (he didn't actually touch the wheel, he was just jumpy). I WAS NOT MOVING. I had just turned on the turning signal, and began to look. In fact, my friend was nearby watching the whole thing, and he said I didn't do anything wrong from what he saw (except going into the turning lane, and then changing back, but that was per the instructions I was given).

I wish the instructor had said the name of the road he wanted me to turn on, instead of "Turn left here". I wish he didn't bark at me. Fail.

I went down to the DMV, and got the soonest date to retake the test. That's not until June 2nd. But, I think I won't be able to get this job I applied for.
bauchtanz's Avatar bauchtanz 04:02 PM 05-13-2010
If you really feel this way, then it is time for you to be making those connections.

Volunteer in the profession you want.
Join a service club (often times this opens many doors).
Offer to do an internship.

Also - it may be possible that:
1. YOu are not interviewing well.
2. Your resume is not put together well.
3. You refs aren't good (who told you they were excellent?).

Many states have job service centers that can help you on all these counts. Also - do you have all the skills you need for these jobs?

I know that I have interivewed people who thought THEY were fantastic, or right for the job, but, I wanted to tell them: Oh, don't say that! I can't belive they did that!
turkeygw's Avatar turkeygw 06:33 PM 05-13-2010
Quote:

The guy told me to "Turn left here", and we were coming up on an alley/dead end type road. I thought for a few seconds that he wanted me to go down there to practice three point turns, so I got into the turning lane. I stopped (there was oncoming traffic), and I asked him if he really meant for me to turn down that road. He said "No, I meant up there..." which was a street about 100 feet up ahead. I signaled to turn out of the turning lane, and went to look before turning, and the guy started reaching towards the wheel, and he barked out "Not yet, there's cars coming!"

Uh, yeah, I knew that. That's why I was looking. He panicked. I panicked. I started shaking, but finished the rest of the road test, doing everything else fine (even parallel parking). I knew I already failed, though. It's automatic failure if the driving instructor grabs towards the wheel in fear of a potential accident (he didn't actually touch the wheel, he was just jumpy). I WAS NOT MOVING. I had just turned on the turning signal, and began to look. In fact, my friend was nearby watching the whole thing, and he said I didn't do anything wrong from what he saw (except going into the turning lane, and then changing back, but that was per the instructions I was given).

I wish the instructor had said the name of the road he wanted me to turn on, instead of "Turn left here". I wish he didn't bark at me. Fail.

I went down to the DMV, and got the soonest date to retake the test. That's not until June 2nd. But, I think I won't be able to get this job I applied for.
I'm 29, soon to be 30 with no driver's license. I failed the first time because it took me more than three times to parallel park. Because of that, I didn't even qualify to drive for the rest of the test. I think some of the instructors get a high on failing people. I know how you feel though, and yeah it does suck too not having it. I also know of other people who didn't have to parallel park, or had instructors who didn't make them do much. I really just want mine, just to say I have it, because I still feel it's much safer to walk(especially here in Vegas).
KCMommy's Avatar KCMommy 02:17 AM 05-18-2010
I am a small employer and recently put a job advertisment up on our local online job bank for a child care worker in a daycare setting. I got about 30 responses, several of which held various related degrees, like teaching or social work.

While it was nice for me, and I did scoop up a teacher with 7 years of university for this typically low-end job position, it made me a little sad about the state of the economy. How does one tell an applicant with a master's degree, in the field, that they are not the best qualified for a daycare job?

I especially felt badly for all the young girls who applied, just a couple years out of high school. This should be the kind of entry level job with which this demographic would typically start out, but how could they imagine that their self-described "dedication, patience, and good work ethic" would have to compete with master's degrees and years of Kindergarten teaching experience?
CathMac's Avatar CathMac 10:03 PM 05-26-2010
Quote:
Have you heard back? June 2nd is awfully close. Maybe everything will fall into place.

Good luck.
~Cath
Up