I'm a little bit bummed this week! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-30-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies,

It has been a great journey raising my now 5 year old son. He will be off to school in the fall and I have been blessed to be able to hang out,love and teach him. We have been blessed that my husband works from home and of course we have strolled around a park on a random Tuesday or have all decided to go to the zoo on a random Monday.

Well, I have a degree in HIA ( Health information administration) and have been volunteering at the university since Nov in the field of my degree. It seems that jobs that I apply for want experience,but I thought I was doing the right thing in getting that experience.

About 2 weeks ago, I got an interview for a position. I meet all the requirements except a computer software program ( that I'm sure I could learn in a few days). I have the degree and in order to get certification you need this degree.

The phone interview went well and then I went to the in person interview.
I thought this went well,too. ( who knows) I asked the manager when he would make his decision and he said Friday. The interview was on Wed.
Ok, thanks nice meeting you etc etc.

I call next Tues. The HR person said that the manager had not made a choice and told me to call next week. I call the next week and the HR person said the manager was on vacation. Then I get an e-mail saying that the position has been filled.

I'm racking my brains over this. My references work in the same department at another hospital. As soon as the HR people called them,my references called me to tell me. One even said,"we would hire her today,but we are in a hiring freeze."

The funny thing is I am on the mailing list for my former university dept and what comes up today? The job I interviewed for! There are 4 positions!

So I'm just not sure. Ive asked all my professional friends. Some say the same thing happened to them and that since the hospital is union they have to offer the job to someone laid off. Some just say,"why would they call your references after the interview?".

I dunno, I'm a bit bummed out,but on the other hand I enjoy taking care of my son and husband,I volunteer in the hospital I want to work for and I tutor ESL.

My other friend suggested I call the HR dept and ask them what could I have done better in the interview?

Maybe I was overqualified. My manager did not have his HIA degree or his RHIA ( you need the degree to sit for the test). But on the other hand he told me that he had hired other people who had graduated from my program and was very happy. Crap the shear fact that I volunteer should shine a light!

A little bit of me wanted this for myself. I worked so hard for this degree,but crap, maybe I should be a plumber!

I know the economy is slow and maybe something will open up and maybe its good that I don't work for a wishy washy hospital manager.

Well I'm going to keep on trying and I guess I'll just keep going on permanent vacations

Thanks for letting me rant...I mean its not that bad. I survived cancer twice before 30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm sorry this happened. It does sound a little strange. Did I understand correctly that the position you interviewed for was not actually filled (or at least had 4 more similar ones open)? I would call them and ask them, maybe feigning ignorance and ask if there was a mistake
Good luck, with this job, or another one in the future!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#3 of 3 Old 05-05-2010, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mama I really needed to hear that

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page