Can I apply to a job I previously resigned from? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few years ago I gave up a great job... Part time, flexible hours, for an organization and cause I believe in... Why? I wanted to do some extended travel and then I wanted to find a full time "career". The job I resigned from was part time and paid as an independent contractor, so no benefits or anything. I did leave on good terms and even trained my replacement.

Well, fast forward to today. I traveled, tried the more extensive career track, got married, and had a baby. Now, I just saw that they are hiring for my old position again. My daughter is 17 months old, I get benefits from Dh's job, we are planning to stay put for quite awhile, and right now in my life this job would be perfect for me. Should I apply again? How can I explain myself to them and have them reconsider me?

TIA!
#2 of 9 Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM

I say apply! The worst that can happen is that you don't get the job.

How much do they know about why you left? How many years ago was it? I'd maybe play down the wanting to travel part (unless you know they'd think that was cool...), and play up that at the time you needed something full time with benefits, and then explain that now you would be the perfect candidate because you would need minimal training, and you are now in a position where part time with no benefits works just fine for you. Talk about how you loved the position and were very sad to have to leave it, and how grateful you are to be able to work for the company again, etc...

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#3 of 9 Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Apply! I left a job on good terms, then later called the manager directly and asked her to take me back... it worked. Can't hurt to try!

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#4 of 9 Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM

If you left on good terms, I would totally apply. I think the reasons you gave here for leaving and for wanting to return are exactly what you should tell them. Be honest and go for it!

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#5 of 9 Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM

I would! It might even give you a leg up. I worked with someone who did just that (she went to another company and worked there for 2 years and when she was laid off she applied back to my company) and she was very happy. I think my company was happy to have her, because she already understood the job and the culture.

Do you still know anyone there? I'd call your old manager or HR or someone and say that you'd love to apply for the job and you'll be sending in your resume. That way they know to be looking for it.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 9 Old 05-01-2010, 12:08 PM

absollutely apply. my company has hired people back who left - some have even been hired back TWICE (and they just left to go work a similar position for a different company - both times). like others ssaid, if you left on good terms and they were happy with you while you worked there, it would probably give you an edge over other candidates.
(sorry - nak)
#7 of 9 Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all for the ideas and reassurance! I'm going for it! I won't know until June, though... It's a non-profit with a long hiring process...
#8 of 9 Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would apply. Dh did this with his current job. They hired him back.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM

Go for it! Be prepared to explain why your time away was an asset- it allowed you to grow your skills, but you also discovered that you were happier with your old job. I'm sure they'll see your additional experience as an asset.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page