Part time child care? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have their child in part-time care? If so, how did you find it? Dh and I have always split shifts to take care of ds, but this is becoming increasingly difficult. We would need about 15-20 hrs a week of care, but I can't find anyplaces that are willing to do it, without charging me full price - which I can't afford. Any suggestions?
#2 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't know how things are in your area, but around here the licensed home providers are usually the ones who willl do part time, because they have people with a variety of schedules. Are there any good home providers? We have used the same woman for 9 years and she has been a Godsend, flexing her schedule around ours. Her rates have been very economical. I hear, though, that things in Vermont are different from elsewhere!

#3 of 8 Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 PM

I paid full price. $100 week, which came to $400 a month, for 4 days (6:30am-2pm). So basically, i paid $100 a day. But I loved the sitter, who loved my son, and no matter what time of the day i came by, he was always in her arms.
#4 of 8 Old 03-10-2004, 02:20 AM

My youngest is at a childcare centre three days a week, which for us is preferable to five (even tho I'm supposed to be working at home the other days). We just pay a daily rate, which is more expensive than the weekly rate, but it doesn't sound like you have that option where you live. 3 days at full fee costs $132, I think. We pay $108 of that. That's Australian dollars, BTW.

What about care in your home? You might be able to find a nanny to 'share' with another family on her off days at your house. Otherwise it sounds like home based daycare is going to be your best option.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#5 of 8 Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 AM

My dh and I do this exactly. She's at a home day care from 12:00pm to 3:30pm four days a week. I think the home day cares are more willing to work with you...I got lucky, our babysitter is the mom of a friend I grew up with. (We had lost touch, but that's another story). It's also very economical. I know of another place where she just divides her full-time rate in half and says that's the part time rate...which is still really good (250.00 part time per month)
#6 of 8 Old 03-10-2004, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do a little daycare in my home, I am not licensed so I need to follow rules on how many kids I can take and such, but I actually prefer parttimers, cause then I can still go do the things I want or need to do. I would try finding a SAHM that would be willing to do it. Your kids will have someone else to play with and a mom will be able to earn a little extra money. I charge a daily rate, so it goes by how long the kids are here and on what days. Many providers will charge the full time rate because how they see it is they are doing you a favor. They could very easily drop your child and find one that is full time. It's harsh, but that is how many of them look at it. I do back up care for another provider and she does have a part time rate, but the ratio of dollars to hours is higher than the full time rate (does that make sense???), because it is a huge hassle to keep track of which kids are coming what days, getting kids ready for buses, timing nap time so that the kids that need to go early will be up etc etc etc. I really don't know how they do it!!! I plan to become licensed, but right now I can't becuase I'm living in an apt, so I take the part timers.

So in my long rambling sort of way, I would try to find a SAHM, maybe put an ad in the paper? There are providers that will take part timers, but they are few and far between. Many have a limit on how many part timers they will take, so even if they have an opening they may not take your child cause they want a full time child.

HTH!!!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#7 of 8 Old 03-11-2004, 01:09 PM

We have a part-time babysitter that comes to our house. She's a college student who is majoring in Child Education and wants to be a daycare director at some point. I couldn't find an in home daycare that I felt really good about and it is sooooo much more convenient to have someone come to our house, rather than having to lug dd to someone else's house. We use her 2 days out of the week for a maximum of 15 hours. My schedule is pretty flexible, so sometimes I leave late or come home early. Either way, I'm not disrupting dd's daily routine. College students are usually pretty flexible and cheaper (about the same as some in home daycare providers).

You could also do a babysitting co-op, where you share the same sitter with another mom. This way the kids can play together.
#8 of 8 Old 03-19-2004, 11:30 AM

My 22 month old daughter goes to an in-home daycare 2 days a week, and we have a sitter that comes to our house 1 day a week. The other 2 days, I work from home. We love this arrangement.

We contacted the state of Illinois, where we live, for a list of licensed in-home daycare providers in our area. Then we interviewed a bunch of them. We went with this one because it was unique -- the woman who runs it owns a three flat; she lives on the first floor and has the daycare on the second floor, with her adult son living on the third floor. She runs the place a bit more like a regular day care center -- lots of rules and predictable patterns. It's just a delightful place. She has a few part-time kids, and her only caveat to our arrangement was that our two days had to be consecutive, so that dd would have an easier time adjusting to the routine each week. We've been there almost a year now. It's pricey ($60/day) but we love the care she's getting.

Our one-day-a-week babysitter is also a unique arrangement. He's a 70-year-old Romanian immigrant (here about 12 years) who had been babysitting for our cousin's children since the oldest was born (9 years ago). They found him because his wife was the nanny for their neighbors. His wife passed away a few years ago, and when our daughter was born, we initially needed someone just one day a week after my family leave (dh went part-time until she was 1). So, our cousins suggested that this man might like a part-time babysitting job that he could count on every week. We pay him $8/hour, so it ends up being close to $80 a day. This is also worth it; I've never seen anyone more doting than this man. He takes her on walks in all weather, sings to her, couldn't care less about anyone other than her. His first words when he walks in on Thursdays are "How is Ronni?" It's like having an extra grandfather.

We just love this arrangement; DD gets the social interaction with other kids at her daycare, one-on-one attention from a loving provider at home, and then Mommy two days a week. It's a good life!

-Debi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page