Which careers are suitable for people who suck at math? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Math is my worst subject, followed closely by art. And most of the careers out there I have looked into require a good amount of math....so Im wondering if there are any careers I can aim for which I don't need math for? -Or very very little math? Any ideas?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#2 of 15 Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM

I always did terrible at math and I'm in accounting.

Before this I worked in Human Resources and for a law office, neither required me to do much math.
#3 of 15 Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM

I'd actually recommend looking at the question another way first. What are your greatest strengths/strongest skills?

Then, let's see what we can put together.
#4 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM

Also remember that "real world" math is different than "school math." Most jobs outside of science and tech won't require a working knowledge of trig!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#5 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM

I was a biologist for many years, and NEVER did math. But you do have to have enough math to make it through school. Most modern careers don't require a mastery of math, just enough to get through undergrad.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#6 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Also remember that "real world" math is different than "school math." Most jobs outside of science and tech won't require a working knowledge of trig!
Exactly. I work in the tech industry and while there certainly was plenty of math that I had to take to get my degree, I don't really use any in my job now.
#7 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
My university didn't require much math at all for a lot of fields including nursing and teaching. They were good about keeping the requirements at a level that is consistent with what you use when you are employed in those fields.
#8 of 15 Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 PM

I sucked at math when I was in high school. I failed or barely made it with a d. When I got in college, I waited till that last semester to take the required math class, and I got and A. The teacher was awesome and it made me realize how I had grown as a student.

You can do whatever you want!!! Go to class, rewrite you notes, get a tutor and your done.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#9 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
I sucked at math when I was in high school. I failed or barely made it with a d. When I got in college, I waited till that last semester to take the required math class, and I got and A. The teacher was awesome and it made me realize how I had grown as a student.

You can do whatever you want!!! Go to class, rewrite you notes, get a tutor and your done.
No, I have a real problem with math, always have. I need ideas for careers which don't require math much if any at all.

One-Girl you didn't need math for nursing? but what about math involved with taking patient's blood pressure, heart rate, measuring out medications, weight/height stuff etc...there seems a lot of math involved in nursing careers...or I thought there was?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

#10 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
One-Girl you didn't need math for nursing? but what about math involved with taking patient's blood pressure, heart rate, measuring out medications, weight/height stuff etc...there seems a lot of math involved in nursing careers...or I thought there was?
Not her, but my dh's going into the medical field (not nursing though) and was only required to take a very basic math class.
#11 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
No, I have a real problem with math, always have. I need ideas for careers which don't require math much if any at all.

I'll jump in here even though I may be a bit confused as to what you mean by "math". Taking a person's blood pressure does not require doing any calculations. It requires listening and watching and charting those numbers on paper or in a computer. If you can count to 80 or so, you can take a heart rate (usually don't have to do even that). Many meds come pre-measured but there are occasions when you might have to measure out 1/2 cc in a syringe. That's super easy, the lines are marked.

Is that what you mean? These days so much is done by machines and computers that really, unfortunately, IMO, you don't have to do too much

Mama to one 2 yr. old tornado banana.gif
#12 of 15 Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 PM

RN's and most other Allied Health Professions require very little math.

In my state math courses are not required to obtain an RN degree.

+ + =
#13 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Even though math courses beyond high school level are not required for nursing school, math and numeracy skills are needed.

I teach nursing, and many of my students REALLY struggle with math challenges. Math is needed for dose calculations, conversions (pounds to kilos, micrograms to milligrams), monitoring intake/output, etc. Most of the math isn't too complicated and calculators can be used, but basic mental math and general number sense/estimation skills are essential. We have had students fail courses and/or leave our program because of math-related issues.

That said, the math isn't so challenging that remedial math courses or tutoring couldn't get most people up to the needed level.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#14 of 15 Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 AM

If even that level of math is hard for you, have you been tested for some kind of math learning disability? There are ways of being tutored for that which could at least make the math you'd need do-able. If you have been tested and don't have an LD, you might have a math phobia; there are books and short-term therapy techniques to address that. I'm having a lot of trouble imagining a career that uses as little math as you're asking. I've seen McDonald's cashiers do a lot of mental calculation when their cash registers were broken, yk?
#15 of 15 Old 05-30-2010, 01:04 AM

Perhaps you would enjoy a career in horticulture. I don't think there is much math needed when working with plants and soil. But I could be wrong. I would love to work with plants, they are so peaceful

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page