Are you in a distance/online program? How's it going? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been thinking about taking a distance learning undergraduate program for a while now.

I am a Canadian living in the US (on a work visa) and I'd take an online program offered by an educational institution in either country.

I'm interested in hearing about experiences in this type of learning including tips on balancing family life (we homeschool), which program you are taking, and any feedback on the educational institution since I am also looking for inspiration/information on the various programs out there (I haven't chosen a specific major).

tia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi! I'm finishing my bachelor degree online through Washington State University. I love it! I have had a great experience with their program and am really impressed by how smoothly all communications have gone, including financial aid. They accepted all of my previous coursework in transfer. If it didn't transfer directly for specific requirements, the credits counted as elective credit. I am currently working on two courses during the summer session and have taken eight others so far. Many universities offer degree completion online now. I tried to find one in my state so that my tuition would be lower, but the only program I wanted was full.

As for tips - if I had the financial means to do so, I would hire an occasional babysitter during the super busy weeks so that I could actually focus on my work. My son is 19 months old (my daughters are older - 8 and 10, so not quite so needy...) and sometimes it can get really stressful trying to finish homework or study in bits and pieces of time around his life. By night I am exhausted and can't quite think straight so I really have to try to fit homework in during the day when I can. So, if you have a partner or someone who could help, let them know you'll need their support. I've found that many people don't realize how much work you need to put into online courses (very intensive in the writing and reading) so it is important to make sure they are aware of it if you need help.

One thing I've noticed is that due to the lack of face to face contact your instructors really have no clue who you are. If you have problems or are running late with an assignment, communicate. They really can't tell the difference between an 18 year old kid who is goofing off or an adult who is trying hard and taking it very seriously but needs a little extra time or help unless you communicate with them. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will give you extra time or preferential treatment, but it can definitely help in some cases.

My only other suggestion would be to try to work ahead when possible. It cuts out the stress of big deadlines and is a safety net if you end up with sick children or have any sort of family things going on.
#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 PM

This is a really popular topic here- try searching to see what turns up. Check out this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1216511

I love, love, love going to school on-line. I have attended several community colleges on-line as well as Northern Arizona University, Oregon State University, and Prescott College. I'm pretty much a lifelong learner and have been attending classes on-line for 7 years. I've watched the on-line environment grow and now it's to a point where it really is a very robust way to learn.

The majors are endless-- what are your interests or possible majors? That might help us give you more specific advice. I've heard that Washington State and University of Illinois have great history programs. Oregon State University has wonderful natural resource/environmental science courses. Northern Arizona University has great Parks and Recreation programs as well as several other social sciences programs. Prescott College has a low-residency, community-based program where you design your own degree and courses and attend a few courses on-line. I am currently enrolled in this program and LOVE it.

Hope that helps!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#4 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM

I just started a low-residency, primarily online PhD program through New Mexico State University. I'm currently on campus, away from my family for two weeks. That part is hard, but honestly, I'm nervous about the online part for the rest of the year. I'm a community learner. We use blackboard and I'm glad for this chance to meet my colleagues in person before we need to work together online.

I'll keep you posted!

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM

I just finished my MLIS with Wayne State University, and it was really nice. All but 1 online class was awesome.
#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemoon View Post
I just started a low-residency, primarily online PhD program through New Mexico State University. I'm currently on campus, away from my family for two weeks. That part is hard, but honestly, I'm nervous about the online part for the rest of the year. I'm a community learner. We use blackboard and I'm glad for this chance to meet my colleagues in person before we need to work together online.

I'll keep you posted!
New Mexico State? You're incredibly lucky. I just finished a book (Ancient Bodies, Modern Lives) by Dr. Trevathan from NMS and had a nice conversation with her about it. Great group of professors over there!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I just started summer classes through a local state university. If all goes according to plan, I take 2 classes a semester for 2 or 3 yrs and get myself into a PhD program full time (and leave the land of cubicals!!). But that's a long road ahead with a lot of ifs. The first class started last week. It's been a bit of a struggle to get into a groove. I find myself doing some work at my office during my lunch break to stay on pace.

My biggest struggle is keeping up my energy after DS goes to sleep. He's been pushing to stay awake later, so even if I lay down with him (and usually doze a bit), he's not sleeping until 9:00. Last night I forced myself to get back up and just "work for a few minutes" until I was awake enough to really dig in. But every time I do that, I'm up until midnight. I really need a better schedule! But at least when STBX get back in state, I'll have their "man-time" when I can work (or catch up on sleep).

But I am caught up. I am learning and I'm feeling good so far. I think the key seems to be to stay on pace and (like a PP said) get ahead whenever you can to avoid a deadline crisis.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page