Which is Cheaper to do your schooling. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more question. Which is Cheaper, Online classes or going to the University instead?

Worlds Best Mom
#2 of 7 Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM

I couldn't find a distance program that I wanted at any of the universities in my state, so I am paying out of state tuition. So, in my case if I had access to a local university for on campus classes it would have been much cheaper with in-state tuition. But, if you have one in your state that offers what you need in a distance program, occasionally there are fewer fees and of course no need for full-time childcare, which saves a ton of money. I think it probably really varies according to what you need and what is available to you.
#3 of 7 Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM

For me, it is cheaper to do online through UNCG, but that's only for courses designated as "off campus" in a distance program. Several of my online classes are still considered "main campus" courses, so I pay regular tuition for those. I contacted several different offices at the university when I started, and no one could explain how that determination was made!

In my search for graduate schools, I found that many of the regionally accredited online programs cost way too much for my comfort zone. I would be better off going in person somewhere in my local area.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
It depends on what you need. In-person at a State University is usually a bit cheaper than online classes at that same university. For-profit online university tuition is significantly more expense than online classes through a state school.

I ended up finding an in-state university offering the program I wanted online. I'm only taking 6 credits a semester and working full-time. Lucky for me, my company reimburses tuition up to $5000/yr so I can get a whole lot more classes in within that rate! For me, the same classes at somewhere like University of Pheonix were half the cost.

Definitely look at your local schools first!

However, I'm reeeeeeally looking forward to when I can quit my job and go to grad school full time in person! That's what keeps me motivated to do my homework each night!!
#5 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM

I attend a state university, and our online classes are ~30% more than in-person classes.

love.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies. What I am mainly looking at too, is the convenience of working from home and going to classes online. I guess the in-person classes would be cheaper..

Worlds Best Mom
#7 of 7 Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 AM

I have done both in class, and online class while my son has been little. Actually I'd say the online classes are somewhat cheaper in terms of time (and therefore money for childcare, etc). If you are good at motivation, then you can use your time much more efficiently than in a classroom. I'm not sure if you are paying for childcare or an equivalent, but it is also much easier to plan childcare schedules around online classes, since you choose the time you study. You can also make more use of evenings after the little ones are asleep.

Hope you find a good arrangement!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page