I need a morsel of sunshine sometimes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a pretty intense day job, love it, challenging, stressfull, exhausting. Some days, when I go get the kids, I have a chip on my shoulder, impatient, uncreative, and rude even in my own thoughts rude. I work from home and my kid's day care is a walk away, so when I feel "miss bitch" going to get my kids, I come up with something for them to do on their own for a bit to give me a chance to unwind. When I'm in this mood, I immediately notice my oldest (3.5) reciprocates with acting uncooperative and mischevious. (mirror mirror on the wall). I feel like it's a "something" that's causing my fowlness, like some homeopathic remedy would just release whatever it is. It's like a crick in my neck but instead it's in my emotions, but I can't figure out how to crack it to release it.

I have actually tried a 1/2 glass of wine or shot of something just to see if that would work. Sometimes it does, but it's unpredictable, so I try to avoid that route. Caffiene sometimes works, but don't want that route at 5:30 at night. It doesn't relate to my cycle, like pms, I haven't detected a pattern. I have some remedies I took for super mild post-partum depression I had with my son (my daughter is almost 1 year) and I think that occasionally has a plecebo effect, if nothing else.

Can anyone else relate and have come up with that morsel of sunshine that works to release the mood?
#2 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've recently re-added yoga into my morning, afternoon and evening routine. Not long sessions--about ten minutes meditation, fifteen minutes of a modified sun salutation and another five minutes recuperative meditation. So half an hour three times a day. It's done wonders for breaking me out of those evil moods I'm in so often.

For you, I'd recommend just an afternoon yoga quickie to give yourself some time to stretch away the stress and transition into mothering time.
#3 of 8 Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM

What about making that walk to pick up the kids an energy changing walk? Extending it a bit and breathing consciously?

signature currently in transition
#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 AM

I second the yoga - even just 10 or 15 minutes!

Lea, mama to DD Rowan, 8/6/09
#5 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 04:26 PM

Yep, I think yoga or other forms of exercise might help, and/or maybe you literally need some sunshine (or at least fresh air). So yes, make a detour, but also try to carve some time out of your workday to step outside, even only for 5 minutes to pick up the mail or whatever. At the very least it's a harmless and cheap thing to try

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#6 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM

I vote for yoga too, AND maybe talking to your doctor about xanax or something similar? I have a prescription and it really helps me with my tension and to get better sleep so that the next day, I feel better...I don't take it every day, only when I get that cranky, overwhelmed feeling. It might be worth your looking into.

Running or going for a trailwalk is good too.
#7 of 8 Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Acupuncture? Or maybe a Chinese herbalist for treatment of the emotional stuff?

I can SO relate to your post. Sometimes my husband says I need an anti-anxiety medication....usually it is when I haven't gone to yoga in a long time. Doing a little yoga is a great suggestion too. I find I get frustrated/annoyed/short-tempered when I don't feel I'm getting enough "me" time. Could that be part of it?

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#8 of 8 Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
perhaps journaling (or writing yourself an email) at the end of the workday. I agree though-- sometimes my 20 minute commute is the best, most relaxing part of the day.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page