How did you find daycare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
In my area there are very few day care centers and preschools.... and they are all waitlisted. I really need to get dd into some child care ASAP. I'm trying to find out how people discovered other forms of childcare such as WAHMs?
#2 of 5 Old 07-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children go to a wonderful family childcare. They have 14 children max. I found this through a referral from a mom that I hung out a lot at our local park.

I think it could be helpful if you ask around through your local LLL or local mother's group, if there is one.

Good Luck!
#3 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 05:36 AM

the newspaper, craigslist (obviously, check them out very thouroughly), signs up at church, word of mouth from friends/family, the phone book, google search, signs in front of house as you drive by, signs up at the grocery store if they have a little place for signs.

CPST
#4 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yellow pages - it was the last place I thought to look but this is how I found our perfect care situation. Before that, I followed up on classified ads on kijiji, craigslist, posters at the grocery store, online directories, that sort of thing. I even knocked on doors of houses that just looked like they might be daycares (I was usually right!), or googled the address to see if I could find a phone number or other info.

When searching like this, leave no stone unturned and go visit every place you can even if you get a bad first impression of their ad or phone manners. The biggest lesson I learned in looking for daycare is that the perfect situation for your child may come in the most unlikely form and situations you might have thought you'd be totally opposed to can in fact turn out to be perfect. I found it to be a stressful and exhausting exercise but humbling experience... in a very good way.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM

I've found great in-home daycares through work of mouth or Craigslist. On Craigslist, childcare is under the community tab on the top left corner of the page. It took me forever to realize that.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page