Ibclc? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So this is my next step. Where do I start?

Torre , Momma to Abrielle (4/07) and Annalise (7/09), Birthdoula, CNA, Aspiring Nurse, and wanna-be baby catcher. I ATE MY !
#2 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://americas.iblce.org/how-to-become-an-ibclc

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM

I started researching this about a year ago, and was so overwhelmed I put it on the back burner for now. I have no idea how to find courses either online or IRL for this. I would love to even be an LC, but have no idea how.

I am about to ask my LLL leader for her advice, b/c it seems searching online is going nowhere for me! Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM

It is really overwhelming to look at it, I agree! I usually suggest that people think about how they are going to get their clinical hours because it could take a couple/few years to get the hours, instead of just doing classes and then trying to figure out the hours. The classes can be taken online or locally depending on what they are. This site has some of the classes needed: http://www.health-e-learning.com/ If you are not coming from a medical background then it can be piecing together all the classes especially for the new requirements starting in 2012.

A LLL leader may not know depending if she is pursuing it herself or not, pathways to be an IBCLC is not one of the things we learn in our training!

#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 PM

I've been going back and forth btwn LC and RN. I am already a RD but do not work w/ moms/babies, so I have the education they are looking for (A&P, nutrition, etc.). From what I gather on the website I would need to find someone in my area that will take me on and let me follow them for x many of years. How do I go about doing that? Do I just pick up the phone and call a LC and see if they will supervise me?
#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 12:59 PM

MommatoAandA, sorry to hijack your thread but hopefully this info will help you as well
#7 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 PM

It depends on which pathway you will take. Different pathways have different requirements of who are supervise, some pathways require the supervision only be a recertified IBCLC, which means one with more then 10+ years of experience. You have to choose your pathway to figure out how many hours and what type of supervision you need and then figure out how to get it. The clinical hours are very difficult to get unless you work with mom and babies or are enrolled in an IBCLC course which very few exist, Otherwise yes, it is finding someone who will agree to mentor you.

#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 AM

I was considering becoming a IBCLC... still kind of am. But, I've been really discouraged.

There are 3 pathways to qualify to sit for the IBCLC exam. All three pathways require some coursework (check the website for more info).

Pathway 1: You are already a health care professional. Examples would be an RN, physician, midwife, and perhaps a RD. Once you take some classes, you just track the hours you spend providing breastfeeding counseling. From what I understand, doulas do not count. If you are a breastfeeding counselor, I believe 1 year = 500 hours, if you have someone who can sign off for you on those hours. I also believe that if you are an LLL leader, that counts for 500 hours.

Pathway 2: Go to a specific university that trains IBCLC's and provides them with mentorship. There are only 2 in the country- I think one is in California? (maybe) and the other in Cincinnati.

Pathway 3: Find an IBCLC in your area who has been re-certified. They can act as your mentor. You and the mentor set up a personalized plan to qualify you for the exam. I honestly don't know too many re-certified IBCLC's who have taken on this additional responsibility in their work.

Some hospitals may provide people with internship opportunities. Somehow, you would have to pass yourself off as a health care professional, and then have your preceptor sign off on your hours.

It gets really complicated. Also, I think a lot of hospitals, when hiring a lactation consultant, would rather just hire a nurse who is also an IBCLC. It makes more economic sense, I think. Some IBCLC's have a private practice as well.

I personally feel very discouraged from all this. There are perhaps some avenues open to me to start clinical hours, but, honestly, at this point... I don't know if all this trouble is worth it in the end because I am not a "health care professional". I have a Masters in Public Health but that's it. However, I do know some women in my area who are getting their clinical work done and they are not health care professionals either. They are hopeful about their careers. I know these women because I am taking the monthly seminars to gain coursework hours. But, given my hesitancy about all this, I think I may stop.

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM

that does sound complicated. good luck working it out!

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page