How do you get out the house with your head on straight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once again, I made it to work without my keys or wallet.

This is a persistant problem with me. A few months ago after forgetting my keys one day and the power cord for my laptop the next, I wrote up a list that I posted on the front door titled "Wendy's Idiot List."

The problem is that the list is now just part of the scenery now. I don't see it.

I don't carry a purse, and I mostly commute on my bike (which is how I can make it to work without keys).

So, how do you guys get out of the house each morning ensuring you have all the stuff you need?
#2 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, I don't. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I've already gotten on the train without a wallet (therefore, no ticket); forgotten by breast pump bottles, and gone to DS's daycare without any milk for him. I regularly forget to give him his medicine in the morning, so we have to go back. No advice, just commisseration.
#3 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kofduke
forgotten by breast pump bottles
BTDT. Yeah, I kept a set of bm bags in my desk with twistie ties. They served in a pinch, but weren't my preferred way to pump. I bet I forgot the bottles 10-15 times in the year I pumped. Not bad considering my latest run of forgetting keys.
#4 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 02:02 PM

I've locked myself out of the house several times trying to get myself, DD and DS on our way in the AM. I've forgotten my breastpump & changes of clothes for DS, etc. I generally end up remembering the essentials, but when I don't it's quite a disaster. DH leaves before I get the kids up, so I do it all myself. He has NO IDEA how insane things are in the mornings.:

No suggestions, but I can definately relate!
#5 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 04:08 PM

I forgot my pump one day last week. Had to go home, what else could I do? I decided I should keep a spare manual pump and a couple bottles in my desk drawer.
#6 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 05:24 PM

I do pretty well by putting everything--except coffee & lunch--together & by the door at night. I do tend to have trouble finding my keys when I'm ready to go, but since dh stays home w/ dd & I take the bus it's not such a problem.

My problem is leaving things behind on the bus (I've left my purse on the bus at least 4 times in the last year) or leaving them behind in the office, b/c I suddenly realize I'm about to miss the bus if I don't run...
#7 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 06:09 PM

Adding to what Nate said. I assemble everything by the door the night before. Generally as soon after dinner (before it gets late and I'm brain-dead) as I can. There is a certain order that things go in and I do a mental check: A's bag for daycare, E's preschool bucket w/ spare clothes, my briefcase (check for wallet, planner, work brought home), breast bag w/ supplies, husbands briefcase... Then in the morning I just have to add lunch bags to all the other bags!

I will confess, I do keep spare things at my office (key to the house, manual pump and bottles, lunch money), because even this system isn't always foolproof! And it only works until the baby is old enough to "toddle" things around the house!
#8 of 23 Old 03-15-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, how's this for awful personal habits? I own 1 pair of pants. I wear them every day. They get washed 1-2 times a week.

The keys and wallet simply stay in my pockets until I wash them. My problem is on the day after doing the laundry.

Yes, my keys and wallet do get washed occasionally. Keys make a lot of noise in the drier. My wallet is looking pretty pathetic after the last trip through the wash.

So I guess I gotta make sure the keys and wallet are in place before I go to bed. It's going to be really awful if I forget again tomorrow!
#9 of 23 Old 03-16-2004, 01:31 AM

Well, I've got one pair of shorts that are suitable for work, so I know what you mean. I really do mean to get another pair, one day........

Wendy, if you ride a bike to work, how about keeping your keys, phone, etc. in a panier or bag to attach to a bike rack on the back. As soon as you open the door, put the keys right back where they came from. I tend to forget the bike lock (like yesterday! : ) & then i have to keep my bike in my office for the rest of the day.

I also pack bags the night before & leave them on my desk at home (so the kids don't pull everything out again). It's not fool-proof. Yesterday DS went to kindy without his water bottle & piece of fruit. DD once went to pre-school without any underpants on! In a dress. TG the school keeps spares for this sort of emergency.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#10 of 23 Old 03-16-2004, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by aussiemum
Wendy, if you ride a bike to work, how about keeping your keys, phone, etc. in a panier or bag to attach to a bike rack on the back. As soon as you open the door, put the keys right back where they came from. I tend to forget the bike lock (like yesterday! : ) & then i have to keep my bike in my office for the rest of the day.
Sigh. That's precisely what I did last night. I even have a special little pocket on the inside of the panier just for my wallet and keys. Alas, this morning it was too slippery to bike (snowing) so I decided to take the bus. I packed up my backpack, then spent 15 minutes looking for my keys! DH reminded me that I'd made a big deal about putting them into my panier last night.

I guess I just have too much going on.

On a side note... Um, I take it bike theft isn't a problem where you are? My bike goes in my office or it will walk off on its own if it's parked outside. The quality of the lock is no issue for these thieves.
#11 of 23 Old 03-16-2004, 11:41 AM

I forgot my gym bag today, so I can't workout after work.
I forgot my wallet the other day and had to borrow money to eat.
I have forgotten to pick up insurance forms I need for two weeks running.

If I remember to get fully dressed.. feed my child and pay the bills, I figure I am ahead of the game.
#12 of 23 Old 03-16-2004, 11:09 PM

Quote:
If I remember to get fully dressed.. feed my child and pay the bills, I figure I am ahead of the game.
Asherah- :LOL

I once got to the shopping mall only to look down & discover I was wearing my pants inside out. It was very obvious that it just wasn't a new fashion statement either!!! Must have been the wet patches over my nipples that gave me away.....

Geofizz- BTDT with the bike/bus thing. If only I could have the exact same pattern of steps to follow every single day, no changes, no surprises.....

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#13 of 23 Old 03-17-2004, 05:34 PM

I TRY to pack my bag the night before but that happens about 2-3 times a week. The rest of the time, I'm too tired to even think about the next day!

I try to keep my purse and tote in one area each night. It's my keys that have me running around lifting every pillow in desperation. I pack my son's diaper bag and pull his clothes for the next day when I put him to bed at night.

But I'm so damn tired and fed up being responsible 24/7!

#14 of 23 Old 03-17-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ug. Many of you folks have mentioned diaper bags/kids stuff.

In a couple of weeks DD is going to be starting daycare. I just realized I'm going to be responsible for someone else's stuff too!

No flippin' way is that going to work.

I got to work today with keys and wallet. I even managed to move things between the backpack and bike bag. Since I wore a helmet in, I forgot my hat.

At least I keep a really dorky bright orange one in my desk.

Right now I'm blaming teething. I was up 8 times last night between 11 pm and 6:30 am. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
#15 of 23 Old 03-17-2004, 06:29 PM

Everything gets dumped in it's spot in the foyer and I mean dumped. But I have noticed I am less likely to misplace ds's diaper bag and dh knows exactly where my purse is (I carry the check book).

When we remodel (ha ha) we plan to buld a bench & cubby for this stuff.

Edited to add: My ds is getting into the habit of pulling his coat off and piling it right on top.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#16 of 23 Old 03-17-2004, 06:54 PM

gotta jump in here.... my dh is very anal so I hear about it when I forget things -- he comments that before dd I was sharp as whip but now....:

well, I guess I have a bit of an anal streak too so I'm usually pretty good at remembering things. My problem is my parking permit when I drive the other car. We have hanging tags and you only get one. They give you two freebie days if you forget (but you also have to remember to hang the #&$# thing). If you don't have your permit, it's a $30 ticket! Yikes!

I bring a backpack to work and keep my keys in a pocket on the top. When I arrive at work, I put my car key in the pocket and my office keys come out. I reverse the order when I go home. I pack my pump stuff at night (the horrific memory of a plugged duct keeps me from forgetting that). I do forget other little stuff but the stuff I need every day seems to be ingrained.

Luckily, I don't have to drop dd at daycare. Good luck, Geofizz! Maybe you could put your work stuff in a backpack and have another one for your dd. That way you would always have your work stuff whether you bike or bus. Mommy brain is the pits sometimes.
#17 of 23 Old 03-18-2004, 01:02 AM

I would love to leave things by the door, or set till morning. Except DS3 unpacks. I have gone to work more times thinking my wallet was in my purse (I didn't take it out) only to find it not there. I pulled over the side of the road this week looking for my driver's license when an officer pulled over asking if I was ok. I sheepishly admitted what I was doing and he was cool about it. I did find it- in my pocket stuck to my id badge. I am better in winter with my coat with many pockets. I have no idea how I will manage when spring comes for real. Maybe a HUGE bag?
This pregnancy I have forgotten diaper bags more times than I care to admit. I usually leave them in the van now that I don't have emm to transport. But sometimes they come in and I don't see them....
#18 of 23 Old 03-18-2004, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Indigo73
Everything gets dumped in it's spot in the foyer and I mean dumped. But I have noticed I am less likely to misplace ds's diaper bag and dh knows exactly where my purse is (I carry the check book).

When we remodel (ha ha) we plan to buld a bench & cubby for this stuff.
Oh, Thank goodness I'm not the only one!

We actually did reorganize our entry-way/livingroom to try and help with my tendancy to dump all my stuff by the front door when I get home. We got a wooden toybox that we just toss all the shoes in. It helps a lot. That, plus a shelf and some hooks made it so that you can at least open the door now without having to shove aside my avalanche of stuff.

Made it to work today with everything. Whew.
#19 of 23 Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 PM

Who says my head is on straight?ild

I hate, hate, hate winter because of the need to get all the hats, gloves, coats and boots on. Uggghhh. This adds incalculable stress to my morning.

I like to make sure that this stuff is always put in a certain place the minute we get in so that I can easily find it. Unfortunately, dh picks the kids up, and the stupid mittens can end up anywhere.

I seldom actually forget things, although once this year I did forget dd's school backpack and had to go tearing back home to get it, and then I had to flag down the bus. Dd, of course, was mortified.
#20 of 23 Old 03-19-2004, 01:24 AM

I am fortunate enough to own the place I work so I really do keep everything I need there, tooth brush, uniform, change of clothes, brush, make up, we even have some important mail delivered there. DH keeps a mini hard drive on his key chain so that he no longer has to worry about bringing his computer (and all the stinking cables) back and forth. Although I have still had to run stuff for him. And when all else fails we have a K-mart right next door to us and i often ended up going there to buy clean clothes when I worked regularly. My baby sitter came to my house and MIL who also watches them keeps diapers, wipes, and change of clothes at her house and a couple bottles of frozen milk.

As far as cummuting on bike, the business I own is a bike shop that really emphasizes commuting. We carry a bag rack system that snaps on and off. that way you could put your stuff in your bag the night before and if it was crappy out you could just snap it off and go. No switching bags. I forget what the system is called (yeah its a whole system, sorry) but if you are intrested let me know. I will find out.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 23 Old 03-20-2004, 06:00 AM
Liz

Quote:
Originally posted by EFmom
I like to make sure that this stuff is always put in a certain place the minute we get in so that I can easily find it. Unfortunately, dh picks the kids up, and the stupid mittens can end up anywhere.
Me too! The mitts usually don't make it out of the car so he drives off with them in the morning. Aaargh.

This is only somewhat related but I have to tell the story. After locking myself out repeatedly when ds was a baby I thought I was cured of Mommy Brain. No. Yesterday I got a pill out to give to the cat when I decided I would like a glass of water. When I left the kitchen I realised I no longer had the pill in my hand......yes, I took the cat's medication.
#22 of 23 Old 03-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:
yes, I took the cat's medication.
I have done that, too. At least I can feel confident that I won't cough up a hairball any time soon.:LOL
#23 of 23 Old 03-20-2004, 04:40 PM

Oh mittens. My nemisis. We actually just buy the stretchy ones for like $1 a pair and get 10 pairs at the beginning of winter, all the same color. I have given up trying to keep up with them. I guess pick your battles huh?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page