Let's start a list: Jobs that are makeup-free friendly - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is so much prejudice out there in the work world against women who don't wear makeup. The sexism of it really upsets me, since a man would never be passed up for a job or considered "unprofessional" for not wearing makeup. I was thinking we could make a list. Not having to dress up uncomfortably (including high heels) would be good too.

I'll start:

Teacher
#2 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
health care provider

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#4 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I am going to be really honest and state that I have not run into this prejudice. I wear makeup very rarely, and have never felt it to be in any way an issue.

I have worked several office admin type jobs. Currently I am a supervisor in a warehouse (I have to admit, that may belong on your makeup-free friendly list.)

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#5 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM

A cook or baker
#6 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Soltera View Post
There is so much prejudice out there in the work world against women who don't wear makeup. The sexism of it really upsets me, since a man would never be passed up for a job or considered "unprofessional" for not wearing makeup. I was thinking we could make a list. Not having to dress up uncomfortably (including high heels) would be good too.

I'll start:

Teacher
I'm a teacher and i most definitly wear make up

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
I am going to be really honest and state that I have not run into this prejudice. I wear makeup very rarely, and have never felt it to be in any way an issue.

<snip>
Ditto to this.

Sorry to OP, if you ave run into this.

I work in the tech sector (entry level positions to management to ceo) and do not wear make up or high heels. I have worked for three different companies, and that seems to be the norm (dress casual but professional and no makeup or heels) amongst the women I have worked w/ and women clients as well.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#8 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM

I guess I am blissfully unaware of this prejudice as well. I work for a government contractor in an office setting. I work in a male-dominated field. I don't think I have ever worn make up to work and only heels when I think they look good with my outfit. I bet that there are definitely a lot of fields where make-up isn't the norm, but from my experience, office culture also has a lot to do with it.

Now that you brought this up, I am feeling very fortunate for my casual yet professional office!
#9 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM

I've never, ever worn makeup regularly, or high heels, either. I've worked as a teacher, a nanny, in two different offices doing secretarial work, as a temp, and now I wait tables. Nobody has ever indicated to me that I should be wearing makeup.
#10 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Honestly when I wear makeup you cant tell anyway LOL

no make up

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...bf37b7d0b8.jpg

makeup

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...051b6f6657.jpg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM

I work as a teacher and I wear make-up every day. I also wear pantyhose and heels sometimes. The first principal I worked for (a woman) was very strict about dress codes, and it just kind of stuck. Many of my colleagues wear khaki's and sweaters/blouses. I wear more skirts and dresses than most.

I've worked at a florist/gardening center and at a gourmet food shop, and a warehouse, and none of those places required me to look stunning.
#12 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post

I have worked several office admin type jobs. Currently I am a supervisor in a warehouse (I have to admit, that may belong on your makeup-free friendly list.)
I agree. I am a software engineer, and I've seen holes in the jeans that some people where to work though.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#13 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM

teacher here, though prof

i wear jeans, chocos & t-shirt, no makeup

actually when i was a grad student i was self concious about how young i looked and wore more fancy clothes and occasionally foundation! LOL... but IDK, somehow now I am more relaxed about my teaching.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#14 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Print journalism. I rarely wore makeup, and only if I felt like it. I dressed professionally but there's a lot of room for quirk in a newsroom.
Now, TV journalism is a totally different animal. Ugh.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#15 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 PM

Construction engineering - no makeup and jeans with t-shirts most days.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#16 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
ekh

I'm a teacher and I never wear make-up, but it would probably help me professionally if I dressed up more, if I wanted to move "up" at all. But, I don't, so I don't worry about it. The administration certainly complains every year about how the teachers aren't dressy enough, and most of us generally ignore it. They do make the men wear ties, and I feel sorry for them.

Mama to H (3/18/08)blahblah.gif and A (8/25/09)energy.gif

#17 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

scientific research

computer programing

lifeguard

truck driver

nurse/medical professional (doctor being the exception based on local culture)

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#18 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I've never worn make-up to work (love to wear it for going out on the town but can't be bothered with the expense, hassle and precedent-setting) so I can safely say that all of my jobs would be fine ... I think most of it is in your attitude, and perhaps the policies and culture of the place of work.

So, in no particular order ... my jobs!

bookseller
ASL interpreter
group-home staff
counsellor at shelter for women and kids
writer
paramedic
mural artist
literacy programmer
childcare

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#19 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Dressmaker/seamstress
daycare provider/worker
leasing agent
retail
artist
medical/dental
police/fire
librarian
maid
chef/cook

Personally, it's going to depend on the particular employer and employee. I'm not sure that it's legal to require women to wear pantyhose and makeup. It could be construed at sexism.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#20 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM

I'm in international shipping and have worked in a wide variety of offices in my 17 years in the field. A good number of the women I've worked with - including myself - rarely wear makeup, or perhaps only wear 1-2 types of makeup - ie, mascara and lipstick.

Your attitude and dress are the difference. I've found that if you dress neatly and appropriately, you're fine. Frankly, someone with no makeup dressed in khakis and a nice (no logo) t-shirt is more appropriate for every office I've ever worked in than someone in a short skirt, with lots of cleavage, and tons of makeup.

lady.gif
#21 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM

I work for a women's magazine and the fashion editor doesn't really wear makeup unless she's being shot. I do sometimes and I don't sometimes. I'm on the web side so it's not really an issue.

It's probably most mandatory in sales.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#22 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
i have been in the front office job meeting clients and i never wore regular makeup either.

however i must say i chose one part time waitress job just so i could wear makeup. i looooved putting on makeup and always did. but we werent expected to even though it was a really high end place.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jend1002 View Post
I guess I am blissfully unaware of this prejudice as well.
I agree I think society where I live in general is very image conscious.... but I have not experienced or heard of work prejudice in a negative way. Perhaps getting a job or promotion based on how you look but that has less to do with make up and more to do with the natural materials you were born with!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
Teacher here, though prof.

I wear jeans, chocos & t-shirt, no makeup

Actually when I was a grad student I was self conscious about how young I looked and wore more fancy clothes and occasionally foundation! LOL... but IDK, somehow now I am more relaxed about my teaching.
This is quite true for me! I look young and I'm a professional writer and preservice teacher. I find that I'm self-conscious about how young I look so I tend to dress up a bit more - wearing heels, skirts, dresses and sweaters with natural looking makeup when I am occasionally on site at a school or in an editorial meeting. I don't feel it makes me look a great deal older or more professional but it makes me feel more confident so I am more take charge and more productive.

btw - The teachers at my dream school to work at ALL wear makeup and dress pretty nicely. But I guess that is what parents are paying 24K a year for, LOL!

"There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way and not starting." - Buddha.
#24 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM

psychologist, counselor, social worker, etc. Well, any health care really.

SMC to dd 4/07.
#25 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Honestly when I wear makeup you cant tell anyway LOL
GOSH mama!!! you are sooooo beautiful!!!

STUNNING!!!!

i have to share this about my xMIL. she never wore makeup ever. but then when she got older - i think during the 50s or 60s she started putting on makeup when her eyebrows thinned so much they 'disappeared'. she was not anal about make up but she did put on 'her face' when she went out. nothing huge but subtle just so you could actually see her thin lips, eyebrows and eyelashes.

truly without make up with her white skin and wrinkled really fair skin she does look pretty washed out without a little colour.

sorry OT - now back on track!!!

you dont need makeup to appear professional. however if you have really bad patches make up is good for self esteem.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#26 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:34 PM

I am in the corporate business world. Barely to no makeup is what I see the most, for the most successful. Neutral tone lip stick/gloss. Maybe mascara. Really simple, not flashy. Less is best.
#27 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Any science job in goverment or biotech industry, I was a grad student before and never was required to dress up, and now I am research director at a startup and I still do not need to dress up. I would like to do it once in a while (I find suits really comfortable) but I look really strange in our office.

sleepytime.gif
#28 of 92 Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I've worked in all sorts of jobs from tech stuff to liaising with customers & vendors to retail (where I currently am) and I have never run against an issue of whether I do or don't wear make-up. Nor the fact that I am prematurely grey. Actually, I get a lot of compliments about the latter - and I'm very clear that I simply got tired of trying to cover it and went au natural.

I think it has less to do with how you actually look and almost everything with the attitude and confidence you exude.
#29 of 92 Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I concur with the above.

I'm sorry OP, that you have run into this. I work in the legal profession and while I'm required to wear suits to court and to dress appropriately for the office, tons of my colleagues appear to be make-up free. I wear make-up simply because I have an uneven skin tone and the occassional break-out, but my guess is that no one even knows that I wear make-up.

I have worked in a variety of fields and have never encountered a "make-up policy." Oddly, I think that make-up was more heavily encouraged (socially) in the little rural town where I grew up in than in the major city where I currently reside. In fact, people were heavily made-up where I grew up - too heavily in my opinion. My own mother tried to get me to wear more make-up for years and then she finally gave up. I almost think it is a cultural thing (not in terms of ethniticity - but in terms of social status in some demographics).

Now, manicures and pedicures, that seems to be a real social requirement in my current town. In fact, I've gotten looks of distain from women on the subway and bus as they stare at my rather colorless and stubby nails. It seems that there are various levels of self-care that people find important. I find these attitudes more in the public sphere than in the workplace.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
#30 of 92 Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM

I'd like to just add - I lived in the southern US for a while and make-up is part of the dress code there a lot more than in the northeast. So some of it maybe more regional dependent as well.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page