Odd situation.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is not a working mom issue per se, but since I am a working mom I thought it would be ok to slide it in here. I have an awkward social situation that I am trying to deal with...
I am a single WOHM mother. I also receive medicaid for my girls and food stamps. We certainly have enough-thanks to good grandparents et al-but compared most of our wealthy community, we would be considered "poor".
Ok so last January, my ex and I held a bday party for our 8 year old. In this area, parents drop off their kids for parties at this point. Well two mothers show up and want to stay. These two women proceeded to talk amongst themselves at this event and did not even acknowledge my ex husband or myself. I was just dumbfounded. My ex even tried to start small talk and was completely ignored. In his own home.
Since this time I have seen these mothers on two occasions...and on each event they said hello to my daughter by name and ignored me.....and, oh yeah, my ex saw them at the supermarket and was ignored as well.
We are going to cross paths socially with these women and I am trying to figure out how to handle their rudeness...I cannot get why they are being this way. Seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 11:44 PM

"Hi! I'm Tripping Billies! You may not remember me, but my DD is Mini Tripping Billies & you & your Mini Me were at her party last year. How have you been?"

Though it doesn't come easily to me, I think the best approach is generally friendly & direct. Then I would go from there.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 PM

I think they can't remember your name for the life of them and are very embarrassed.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM

I'd ignore them & stop trying to figure out why they won't talk to you. Be friendly when you see them & be nice to their child but other than that, let it go.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
"Hi! I'm Tripping Billies! You may not remember me, but my DD is Mini Tripping Billies & you & your Mini Me were at her party last year. How have you been?"

Though it doesn't come easily to me, I think the best approach is generally friendly & direct. Then I would go from there.
This... be the bigger person. What you put out there tends to be what gets returned.

Due January 23rd with my
Missing Asa James, born into this world 11-17-08 and into the next 12-25-08
Old 08-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Yep, I find that too. But then don't be surprised if they're not the world's most friendly people to you. My suspicion is that they're already good friends with each other and don't want to admit another to their group.

A good book is: Queen Bee Moms and King Pin Dads. A lot of adults really never move beyond junior high dynamics in life. Sad, but true.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 08-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
Yep, I find that too. But then don't be surprised if they're not the world's most friendly people to you. My suspicion is that they're already good friends with each other and don't want to admit another to their group.

A good book is: Queen Bee Moms and King Pin Dads. A lot of adults really never move beyond junior high dynamics in life. Sad, but true.
I agree with this. Lots of adults are lacking social skills too! It is crazy how rude people can be and not even be aware of it. I like the in your face and friendly way too! There is no denying you exist after such a clear and direct communication. And the pp suggested not only giving your name but giving them a setting where you have met (duh, my house rude girls!!) so then it becomes apparent (hopefully) to them that they are being rude. Maybe not but at least you put out the positive effort.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:

This is what I would do, if I were an outgoing and friendly person.

In reality, I'm fairly anti-social and I would be thrilled/relieved not to have to talk to them!!!

I'm sorry they're treating you this way. It's not right.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

And they may be doing it unknowingly-- I was shcoked when DH told me that when i got together with my siblings, we barely talked to him. We just get so wrapped up in each other.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM

I have to agree with some PPs that it may not be an intentional slight. I am not great in social situations and will often chat on with a child without acknowledging the parents very well.

User Tag List