Teachers--how do you adjust? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a teacher and I start back tomorrow. I've been in my classroom here and there for weeks setting up, and tomorrow is in-service and kids come Tuesday. I love my job and I feel so good when I'm at school, but I am dreading being away from dd every day. It's always SUCH a hard adjustment going back. DH is super busy with work right now, he has to be out of town 2 days this week, we can't find a babysitter for one of them, I know I'll totally wear myself out this week and I'll crash hard next weekend, blah, blah, blah.

What do you do to help ease the transition? Is it hard for your family too, or is it just us? DD will be in preschool 2 days a week starting in 2 weeks, and that will help, but these 2 weeks will be pretty strenuous.
#2 of 5 Old 08-30-2010, 09:50 AM

One big rule I have is no Sunday commitments (or at least dinners) until October. It's my 7th year teaching, and I do find that I am getting better at getting my "sea legs" back by mid-September, but the first few years I needed that whole month to adjust. I'm pretty exhausted the entire month (I think it's also the change in the light) and I let everyone know that, so that they don't expect much of me. My only responsibilities are my immediate family and my work.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM
hix

Ahhh, its interesting you ask that! I'm fried. I came here looking for something too. Perhaps encouragement, maybe comisseration.

I teach first grade in a very low income and low parent involvement school. At home I have two girls; one is four in September and the other will be two in November. Dh is frequently out of town for his AMAZING (though non-profit) job.

School in general wears me out such that I am unable to care for my kids the way I'd like. This time of year is just sheer work. My home kids know they are being slighted and become little monsters until I spend quality time with each of them.

Easing the transition? I make sure I'm home to put them in bed no. matter. what. We get outdoor time everyday, even if its just 15 minutes. I sacrifice home cooked meals for (Kashi) frozen pizzas so that I can run and play with them. I lay out clothes and make lunches the night before, after they are asleep. Instead of putting away the laundry, its on my couch and kitchen table until I can find the time to take care of it (and I will, eventually). I am absent from school when/if I need or want to be.

I'd love to know what you find works for you, especially if its something I'm not already doing!!

( All of this is descriptive not prescriptive, as I'm getting out of the rat race, ASAP. My school is not aware that this shall be my last year teaching full-time with small children depending on me. I feel like I am always working my @$$ off just fail to strike a balance. )

#4 of 5 Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I teach part time (middle school science and math) and I love it. I love my kids at school. Today was my first day of classes and it felt so good to be back. DD has been fine with me leaving, but I know it's taking its toll on DH, who has to do so much more. He works from home full-time (and then some) and just doesn't always have the time/energy to take up my slack! I've been teaching 12 years, 4 of them part-time (since dd was born) and it is always SO exhausting going back! This heat certainly doesn't help, either.

I'm just trying to be reasonable about what can be expected of me. This week I've been choosing things on my to-do list based on which ones would have the greatest negative consequence if it didn't get done!

hix, that's too bad that you aren't finding the balance you need. I don't know how I would do it if I was full time. I'm hoping to move back to full time next year when dd is in kindergarten.
#5 of 5 Old 09-01-2010, 01:00 PM

When my kids were young, they liked when I went back to school because my MIL watched them, so they were excited to see Grammy everyday again.

The hardest transitions for me are getting all of the housework done along with school work. It's getting easier now that my kids are older. DS is 11 (almost 12) and DD is 7. DS actually helped me set up my classroom this year. Without him, I'd probably have to go to school tomorrow to finish, but I don't. Also, I give DS some housework to do to help too.

I try to grocery shop on Thursday evenings and clean on Friday evenings. It is really tough going home on Friday knowing I have to clean, but it is soooo worth it having Saturday and Sunday free! Usually I'll pick one Saturday a month to do more thorough deep cleaning, but only if I have time. I would LOVE a cleaning lady, but DH is totally against it. Also I try to do as much organizing before school starts.

This year will be tougher because DS is starting middle school. It was hard enough coordinating my school schedule and my dc's, but now I have to coordinate mine, DS's, And DD's. I have to go to 3 open houses next week!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page