Are there any reputable online nursing programs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have my BA so I am looking for a 2nd bachelors program, preferably accelerated. I have thoroughly researched my brick and mortar options and thought I'd look into this for a change.

So, can you even get a job with an online degree, are they looked down upon etc?
#2 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 08:24 PM

It is my understanding that there are no online nursing programs to become an RN. If you are already a nurse, there are online options to go from an AA degree nurse to a Bachelors degree nurse or to get a graduate nursing degree. But to become an RN, you must attend a brick and mortar institution. I am starting nursing school on Monday. I also already have a BA in another field. I wish I could get a nursing degree online.

Good luck
#3 of 12 Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I just started nursing school 3 weeks ago. The program I am in is highly regarded because of its intense clinicals-- I think that an online RN program sounds convenient, but it is the hands-on experience that is going to really make you a good nurse, know what I mean? It's just one of those things that you're going to have to dive into head first if you really want it.

Just to add, I have a 4 year degree as well, and there are some programs out there that are accelerated Masters in Nursing, where the only requirement is that you already have a BA or BS (in any topic). When you finish, you are certified as an RN and have your masters. Perfect if you want to get into management. I carefully considered this, then opted for the two year AS in nursing RN program.-- it is a highly accredited program, and waaaaaay less expensive. After I get my RN and find a job, I plan on finishing my BSN (possibly online)-- and there are many, many hospitals out there that have tuition reimbursement. Might be something you'd want to consider for yourself as well.

Good luck!
#4 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=cakemama579;15829936]I just started nursing school 3 weeks ago. The program I am in is highly regarded because of its intense clinicals-- I think that an online RN program sounds convenient, but it is the hands-on experience that is going to really make you a good nurse, know what I mean? It's just one of those things that you're going to have to dive into head first if you really want it.

I knew clinicals would be required to actually go to but I think you're right that there isn't anywhere that offers RN online.
Thank you (now I can stop looking) !
#5 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Just to add, I have a 4 year degree as well, and there are some programs out there that are accelerated Masters in Nursing, where the only requirement is that you already have a BA or BS (in any topic). When you finish, you are certified as an RN and have your masters. Perfect if you want to get into management. I carefully considered this, then opted for the two year AS in nursing RN program.-- it is a highly accredited program, and waaaaaay less expensive. After I get my RN and find a job, I plan on finishing my BSN (possibly online)-- and there are many, many hospitals out there that have tuition reimbursement. Might be something you'd want to consider for yourself as well.

So would this be the route to take if my ultimate goal would be FNP or Midwifery since I'd end up having to get a masters anyway? Can you pass along the names of a few?
#6 of 12 Old 09-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomama1 View Post
So would this be the route to take if my ultimate goal would be FNP or Midwifery since I'd end up having to get a masters anyway? Can you pass along the names of a few?

I live on the East Coast, and I know that the University of Maryland School of Nursing has a masters program like what I was talking about. I don't know where you live (colorado?), so you might have to just go to the websites of various 4 year institutions around you to see if there is anything like that-- that is, unless you want to relocate.

What I would do if I were you, look into Midwifery or FNP programs specifically. Every state is different as to their requirements. What you don't want to do is go through an entire masters program only to find out you need a different masters degree to get your midwifery. I have a friend right now that is starting from zero and is on a 7 year track to becoming a midwife. she is taking her prereqs at the community college, then transferring to a 4 year program to get her BSN, then on to get her masters in midwifery. Because you already have a 4 year, it might not take you 7 years like it is her... there are usually programs out there that are more than willing to accept courses that you already have under your belt.

Good luck.. you might consider cross posting this question on the "find your tribe" forum in your area... mamas in your area will know better than I would. Who knows, maybe you'll get some good advice.

Happy hunting!
#7 of 12 Old 09-12-2010, 11:24 PM

I don't actually know anyone who has done this program, so not sure what job placement options would be like, but Western Governer's University does have RN online programs. You get hooked up with an RN mentor who helps you with all of your hands on lab and clinical work. Thus, the lecture component of the program is online, but you still do your hands on work in person.

In our area (Utah) there is an accelerated RN BSN program that runs through the U of Utah. It's like a one and a half year program, though honestly, I can't imagine the pace of nursing school going any faster than it is, in my normal BSN program! We have a lot of students in our program who do already have bachelors degrees and opted for this program because they didn't want to be rushed through the program.

Student nurse Mamma to Kaylum (3/01/2007) and wife to computer nerd DH .

#8 of 12 Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Online nursing degree from accredited, reputed colleges is regarded highly by employers. In order to become a Registered Nurse, you need either an Associate’s degree or a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. An Associate’s degree takes approximately 2 years to complete, making it the quickest route towards becoming a Registered Nurse. However, no college worth its salt offers completely online Nursing degrees at the Associate level, since a great deal of clinical experience is required to become a Registered Nurse. Colleges do, however, offer online Bachelor’s degrees in Nursing Completion, which are apt for RN's who already have an associate's degree in nursing and/or are aspire towards managerial roles or Graduate degrees in Nursing Management/Administration. If you really want to become a Registered Nurse, you should opt for an Associate’s degree in Nursing, even if it means you have to physically attend classes.

#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think Xavier University and U of Cincinnati do. If you google Direct entry MSN or Direct entry nursing, some come up. This is probably the route I will take because I do not have any good nursing programs nearby.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here is one: http://ecampus.wisconsin.edu/online-bachelors-degree/nursing-bachelor-of-science-accelerated-uw-oshkosh.aspx

There is a 3 week residency requirement, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 12 Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post

Just to add, I have a 4 year degree as well, and there are some programs out there that are accelerated Masters in Nursing, where the only requirement is that you already have a BA or BS (in any topic). When you finish, you are certified as an RN and have your masters.

Really??? like what?

#12 of 12 Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM

UNC Chapel Hill has a 4 semester accelerated program to get RN from another degree, then non-accelerated program is 6 semesters. There are several pre-req's though (science classes).

http://nursing.unc.edu/academics/bsn/second_degree_admissions_information/index.htm

Carly, mama to DS C (5th grade), DD Miss M (07/09, fostered 1/10, adopted 08/10), and Little Miss C (11/10, fostered 01/11, adopted 11/12). Foster Son, Mr. A, age 11 placed 10/13.
My angel babies , ~01/08~ (twins), ~09/08~, and ~01/09~.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page