Are there any real/legitimate online colleges for child dev./teaching? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in college now working on becoming an elementary school teacher. I may have to move soon, and I don't want to wait the year it will take in a new state to establish residency before I can afford to enroll in school again.

Are there any distance education programs that aren't scams? I have found some colleges that offer mostly distance education, but even they expect you to pop in for occasional tests and what not (unless you're military).

Am I missing something? Thanks

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#2 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 06:38 AM

I was under the impression that University of Phoenix was legit. Also Drexel out of Philly has online programs. You need to look into certification, though. For example, Drexel's program may be online, but it's still a brick-and-mortar school that's incorporated in the Commonwealth of PA, so your cert will be a PA one at the end and you'll have to jump through some hoops to get your own state's cert.

Also, just because a program is online doesn't automatically mean it will be as affordable as in-state tuition at a state program.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#3 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I've been told that trying to get hired as a teacher with a degree from the university of phoenix is almost impossible. Maybe I heard wrong? Plus are their credits transferable?

I've heard mixed reviews on Western Governors University though. So maybe someone here has some insight on that? But even that school doesn't have credits that are transferable to "real" colleges (I think).

I know it might be pricey, but to me it's worth it to get it done. Plus it'll still probably be cheaper than paying an out of state tuition at a state school.

#4 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM

Contact your school's counseling department. Ask them. Several legitimate universities have online programs. Your school may have one already or the counselors can refer you to one. My husband did quite a few of his classes (not all) this way. He took classes from University of Nebraska- Lincoln and UN-Kearney. Oh, also did some through the University of Maryland.
#5 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I've been told that trying to get hired as a teacher with a degree from the university of phoenix is almost impossible. Maybe I heard wrong? Plus are their credits transferable?

I've heard mixed reviews on Western Governors University though. So maybe someone here has some insight on that? But even that school doesn't have credits that are transferable to "real" colleges (I think).
Western Governors University is accredited; the MGIB reimburses for this school and they only reimburse for approved accredited programs . My BIL graduated from there and my dh his finishing his degree there. It is a good school for both of them (in computer fields) because it gives credit for the MANY certification exams they need for their jobs. Though they already had jobs and were not trying to search for a job with this degree and no experience, so they don't have experience with that.

Getting set up was a little tricky but once dh had his mentor things went more smoothly.

I attend Central Texas College online and they are more prepared to deal with online students than my community college. With CTC I can send ALL documents online (I scan and e-mail most), including VA documents which my local cc wanted me to do in person.

That said, it may not be the best for every major.

http://www.guidetoonlineschools.com/...ors-university

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oregon State Online (at least a couple of years ago) is a real state university. They offer teacher ed but I think it's only certified for Oregon, though my SIL has told me it's easier to get certified in another state after you already have one in a first state. Might be worth checking into as I can't guarantee it's 100% online.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Capella's another legit online school. They are accredited as well.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#8 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I think this is the kicker, right here. Are online degrees worth the money spent on them, and are they looked upon as legit in the work place. What type of real world experiences are gained from online schooling, especially in education. I imagine you would still need to do observations and student teaching?
#9 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
I think this is the kicker, right here. Are online degrees worth the money spent on them, and are they looked upon as legit in the work place. What type of real world experiences are gained from online schooling, especially in education. I imagine you would still need to do observations and student teaching?
I know the ed classes I have taken online required certain hours of observation, student teaching, and volunteering to pass the class, just like the classes you take at a university, so that should be no different. I just called up the local school and arranged mine no problem. They seemed very willing to have some free help!

As for the online colleges like U of Phoenix...I know teaching jobs here and several other states are almost impossible to come by. Layoffs plus massive competition mean that if you have an "online degree" from some place like that, you won't probably even be considered. Some place like Oregon State or another state college (I know I have seen more than one, it's just been awhile) will not show up distance and will be the same courses and requirements as most of your local universities, even if you're out of state, so that will give you more of a fighting chance.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. Especially the idea to ask my guidance counselor...I never even thought of that for some reason.

I will definitely look into the schools posted here. I know that WGU at least does require student teaching and supposedly sets it up for you. But the credits don't transfer to anywhere else so I would only do that if I were desperate.

I start training to become a Waldorf teacher this Jan, and degrees aren't exactly required (though they are strongly encouraged). But I'd still like to have mine in teaching as some sort of a back up plan. But my goal isn't to try and work in the public school system anytime soon (I know there's no jobs there right now).

Thanks again.

#11 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I have found some colleges that offer mostly distance education, but even they expect you to pop in for occasional tests and what not (unless you're military).

Am I missing something? Thanks
You may be missing that the school will allow you to use a local proctor site. My college has distance students submit test sites at the start of the term for approval; they seem to approve any accredited school or testing center.

Probably the safest route is to look at the online programs of brick and mortar schools.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#12 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oregon State, Central Texas College (I really liked this one), and Capella all looked nice. But none of them have anything undergraduate for child development and/or teaching. I've looked at every University I can think of in CA. I had no idea this would be so hard in 2010.

I will definitely ask my counselor though and see what they say.

#13 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 PM

I''d be shocked one of CA's state colleges didn't have an online program. Here a mom is finishing her MAT and she took 75% of the courses online, then did the other 25% as an independent self study. The U is 2 hrs away and she's only had to travel in a handful of times. I would contact a dep directly at a nearby college and ask. In my circle, I have to admit that U of Pheonix and the like have not earned their credibility yet among those hiring.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#14 of 15 Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 PM

Many state universities offer degrees for education online. Most of the ones I have found are for M. Ed degrees though, not undergrad degrees. I too have heard that it gives you more chances of finding a job if you obtain your degree from a school that has a brick and mortar university (with an online degree option) instead of getting one from a school that is entirely online such as University of Phoenix.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#15 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 AM

I have a Master's degree and Single Subject Clear Teaching Credential from National University (based out of Southern CA). At the time, they only offered half of the classes online, which I did and loved!

I loved them so much that I became an online teacher as soon as I could. I currently teach for Axia College, which is a division of University of Phoenix. I am also a high school teacher and have been for over 12 years.

Honestly, I have never had anyone even ask me where my Master's or Credential were from. Made not a lick of difference in the world. I think people are recognizing that "distance" learning is a viable way to get an education.

National and Phoenix are both WASC accredited, just like the CSU and UC colleges, so they are considered legitimate. Other schools to consider would be Capella and Kaplan.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page