suggestions re. 'informal' childcare arrangement - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're considering the following change and I was hoping anyone might have experience with this (or suggestions anyways).
Our ds (7 mo) is in group daycare, and does well, but he has had almost continuous colds since he has gone there (4 mo). Also, staff is usually 1:4 to 1:6, so I know they cannot always hold him when he cries or can't sleep etcetera.
We have a colleague whose kids (2 and 4) are in daycare there too, and who would love to stay home with her kids, and would consider doing that if we paid her to keep our son (4 days per week). She is a nurse, but not a licensed childcare provider or anything.
Would you pay someone like that per day 'worked', or per week/month? Do you have to agree on sick/vacation time, or can we ask that she try to plan her time off to coincide with ours? Do we let her run errands with our son (of course with the proper carseat etc.) or can we ask that she stay home all day? Other thoughts anyone might have?

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Liz

I would think that you could treat this just like you would with an in home day care situation. I mean treat it formally so that both parties know exactly what is expected. My in home child care provider is paid per day. If a statutory holiday falls on a day my son would normally be there she gets paid for it. My provider is through an agency so when she takes a holiday they arrange alternative care. When we go on holiday she still gets paid. In your situation I don't think it is fair to ask her to take her holidays when you do. She has a family who have schedules too. I think it is fair to ask her that you both try to accomodate each other's schedules. Do you have a family member who could look after your daughter if there is an uncovered vacation? You could certainly agree on how much vacation time she takes. And as for errands, our provider takes the kids with her on errands, however, she doesn't drive (doesn't need to). I think it is great that the kids do these everyday things. She also takes them to the park or to a play group most days. The driving thing is up to you. I don't think it would bother me but it is entirely personal.

Good luck,

Liz
Old 03-23-2004, 09:47 AM

Our dd goes to an inhome daycare and the way it's set up is we pay $x per week whether we take her or not. Her reasoning is that this is how she makes her living and needs to count on the $ each month. She insists on weekly payments for the first 3 months and then she'll let you go every 2 weeks if you want. We found it easier to pay every week.

She takes off all federal holidays and schedules 2 weeks vacation in the summer on her timetable. She gives us about 1 months notice (give or take) so we can make alternate arrangements. She doesn't take the kids out with her during the day if she has errands to run, but that's mainly because she has an assistant and she usually goes when they're down for their afternoon naps.

I would let my dd go with her on errands if she were in this setting you're describing, if I really trusted the woman, otherwise, I say no. I think she should be free to choose her own vacation time, but maybe you could both compromise if you're uneasy with it.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 PM

We are very fortunate. A colleagues wife is watching our DS. They are usually foster parents, but don't have any right now. In our case, it's just some extra $ and we pay per day watched, no holidays or days we keep him home. We have had to take time off to be w/ DS when they were on vacation.

She has been excellent and very flexible.

Also, for us this is a short term situation. I went back to work in January and will quit my FT job by the first week in June. I'll then start back PT from home in the fall & will have to have different arrangements w/ someone else (they're moving away ).

We pay $40/day and the cheapest I've heard of for an unlicensed at home group daycare is $30/day plus holidays. I was easily willing to pay $50/day - that's just for our area, I think it varies widely.

HTH

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
Old 03-24-2004, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for your comments/insights, this will be very helpful when we talk to her again. She hasn't made up her mind yet (nor have we entirely), but I hope this might work out...
More suggestions still welcome!

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06)

User Tag List