2 little ones and a career change....is it possible? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so that's where I'm at. seriously considering leaving my job to either go back to school or take a different career track (which translates into less $). but I have 2 young ones (one is 3.5 yo and the other is 10 months old). so i'm concerned about health insurance for the little ones, and about bringing in enough $ to cover expenses. DH is freelance/self-employed so I carry the benefits. I've been at this current job for awhile and after years of trying to advance and further my sad little career, I really feel that I need a major change. But its kind of scary to think about, because, while I'm frustrated and bored at work, it is a steady paycheck and I'm not sure I would be able to make enough freelancing on the side (if i were to go back to school etc)

has anyone else done this when the your kids were still little or did you wait until they were in school fulltime etc.....

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM

I was a veterinary technician for 10 years and quit 5 months ago when I had my 3rd baby to be a SAHM and go back to school fulltime. I hated what I was doing and the pay was crap. I'm going to pursue the career I've always wanted. My husband is the main breadwinner though, and I don't know how I could have done it if my family relied on my job for insurance.
#3 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM

I see you are in NYC: doesn't NY offer health insurance for kids? Beyond just medicaid...I think it's called Child Health Plus. That could be an option for health insurance for kids if your income drops.

I finished an undergraduate degree and did a master's while my son was 18 months-4.5 years. I think being in school and having little ones is easier than trying to work full-time, because my schedule was much more flexible, I didn't need full-time childcare (but I did study weekends and evenings when I had help from family), and student loans took some of the pressure off as far as working.

raising my two sunshine children.

#4 of 4 Old 10-22-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

you're right about the Child Health Plus!....I totally forgot about that. I think it may cover them up to age 5 or so....I'll have to look into it. I think I just need to be strong & prepared and come January just take the plunge & leave. I think I can get enough temp/freelance work to keep the household running and this will be the test to see if I should continue in my current career or really go nuts and go back to school.... if I can get my DS into UPReK for next year, then the childcare costs won't be so staggering....

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page