Creative advice needed re: my job - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I seem to be coming to the fork in the road. All kinds of stuff coming to a head at once. Here's the simple version:

I love being a working mama. I was a SAHM for a year and a half and it did not work for our family.

I work PT. I could work FT if I wanted (I currently do the work of 2 former FTers...I know, I know ).

My dd is 3mo. Ds will soon be 3yo. Ds spends the hours with family cp while I work at the office, dd is mostly with me but on occasion also spends the time with close family cp.

Family cp will be moving out of the area in a couple of months (at most).

My company is making a huge corporate shift which will likely involve A LOT more hours and work on my part. Starting today. (it's good in a long-term, career kind of way)

I don't make enough $$ per hour to put both my kids in the care of a non-family cp. I'd want to go with a larger place with a preschool-type curriculum for ds...ugh.

What to do?

Here's the thing--I'd like to put the babes in a PT daycare situation...and then I'd increase my hours to about 32/week. But how do I make the case with my boss for more $$ per hour?

In my estimation, I am paid about 2/3 to half what I'd be making with most other local companies. The thing is, though, they would not flex the way this job does for me.

HEEEELLLP!

Creative solutions, anyone? Anything at all. Consider this a brainstorm!
#2 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 12:51 PM

I would quickly try to set up a babysitting co-op. Try posting at your local health food store??

Good luck!

Lori
#3 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by 1jooj
I don't make enough $$ per hour to put both my kids in the care of a non-family cp. I'd want to go with a larger place with a preschool-type curriculum for ds...ugh.

What to do?

<snip>

In my estimation, I am paid about 2/3 to half what I'd be making with most other local companies. The thing is, though, they would not flex the way this job does for me.
Here's one approach: Figure out the cost of childcare. Figure out the hourly wage you need to pay for your childcare, increase in taxes, additional expenses associated with working, and approach your employer with a number. If you can't afford to work, there's no point in having the job. It would probably be useful to have the numbers on the salary standards for you job in your area on hand as well, particularly if you think it's double what you currently make. Flexibility is definitely worth something in my book, but probably not half my salary.
#4 of 6 Old 03-24-2004, 03:42 PM

IME, when people are overworked it is because it is hard to find replacements for them. So I'm thinking that, if you went to your boss and said look, here's the situation....they might be willing to work with you. They will be happy that you want more hours, I'm sure, and it could be a real pain in the butt for them if you left, so go for it and see what they say!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-25-2004, 02:35 PM

What I did, was negotiate the full time salary for what I do. Then we agreed to 80%. They paid me 80% of it, I work 80% or 32 hours a week. If I go over it is per hour paid on the salary rate that didn't change. I love my flex time and this was set up before I started. Thankfully I was not first, but it was a condition of hire (on my part) maybe you need to compair 40 hour salaries of your position and not mention other companies may not flex.
Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 03-29-2004, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting ready to have that meeting with the boss this AM. If he doesn't make it to my office in the next 30 minutes, it's going to have to wait--AGAIN!

I am proposing a couple of things just to make workflow smoother.

First, I need a clearer picture of the company's goals with regard to my department over the next 9 months. Without an objective, it's impossible to propose any solution(s).

Second, I need my level of authority clarified. Part of the reason projects are slow is the amount of back-and-forth on them, and the murkiness of what he has to say about things. Once he signs off, he is off, period, and none of this "you never told me" crap.

Third, I am establishing "regular" home office hours every morning that I am not in the office. This way, my boss can feel free to call anytime IN THAT WINDOW (7-11) and expect an answer--and I can feel OK missing his 3 PM calls if that happens.

I hate this...I feel like I have to defend myself. Yuck. Wish me luck. If this goes well, we can talk money later.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page