Maternity Leave (length) poll - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think you can let us know your survey results? I'm curious as to what you will find.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM

I took your survey, but my results will skew your estimate. I am a full-time graduate student and took no leave (though I was allowed 6 weeks by graduate student union contract). Special circumstances were created to help me maintain my TA position and continue attending classes. I will be happy to talk more about this by PM. :-)

Doctoral candidate momma to Thesis Baby (1/09)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Do you think you can let us know your survey results? I'm curious as to what you will find.
1. How much time off did you (or do you plan to) take for maternity leave?

6 weeks or less- 19.2%
7-8 weeks-9.1%
9-10 weeks- 5.1%
11-12 weeks- 29.3%
more than 12 weeks- 37.4%

2. In your experience, (going by friends and coworkers leave) what is the typical length of maternity leave?

6 weeks or less- 16.2%
7-8 weeks- 14.1%
9-10 weeks- 5.1%
11-12 weeks- 46.5%
more than 12 weeks- 22.2%

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

J & A together for 6 years love.gif married since 11/09 & so in love with our DD, Reed Kylie born 2/5/11! stillheart.gif
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM

I did the survey monkey but also wanted to elaborate. I have short term disability through work, the first week of which is unpaid (unless you have that much accrued PTO, which I did not) then you get 5 weeks paid for Mat. leave unless you have medical complications that would extend your disability. Thankfully, my 6 weeks were up exactly at new years, so I had brand new PTO to use, and took an additional paid week. I was out of work a total of 7 weeks. I could have taken up to 12, but with an unemployed DH, that wasn't going to happen.

Since I have returned to work, I work full time hours, but get to work 3 days a week from home, and 2 in the office. DH is now a SAHD who does some freelancing/direct marketing stuff on the side.

IME, most women take 6 weeks, some as much as 8. very few can afford to take the full 12 FMLA offers, as it is unpaid (unless you are in California or another state that offers paid FMLA). A few women have reduced to part time hours or stopped working all together, but very few in this economy can afford to do that.

For the next baby, I would love to be able to stay at home 8 weeks. But so long as I can maintain my current work situation (part at home, part office) I am really ok if I need to return sooner. (Or if we win the lottery or something, I wouldn't work period! LOL)

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

User Tag List