Laid Off Mommas? - Mothering Forums
Working and Student Parents > Laid Off Mommas?
Teenytoona's Avatar Teenytoona 02:15 PM 11-10-2010

Ugh, I lost my job last Thursday (due to economic reasons, not due to my own performance, they will, at least, give me good recs and such, would love to hire me back should work pick up again). Just wanted to see if anyone else is in the same boat. I have a few weeks severance, and am hoping that something comes along that will work. I realize I may have to take a hefty pay cut and that worries me, I must say.

Can we share a hug?

1jooj's Avatar 1jooj 07:16 AM 11-11-2010

hug2.gif I'll share a hug with you, mama.

I'm not in exactly the same boat, but I can relate. I have actually voluntarily dialed down my hours and commitment because I was super-hyper-overextended, but let's just say it's convenient for my employer, too. My situation's not permanent, and I'm flex to begin with, so no minimum income and no unemployment insurance. Just a sudden, drastic drop in income.

I asked for it, granted. I needed the reduction. But now I am looking at how we're going to move through the next several months (hello, heating season) without my income. I still have a kid in braces, will soon have another starting, and my income was covering those "extras" beyond the basics of living.

So I'm finding myself looking around for places I can cut spending.

What field are you in, and how are you gauging your prospects? I hope the time between jobs has some positive aspects for you. Hang in there, mama.

NicolleLynne's Avatar NicolleLynne 05:49 PM 11-12-2010

hug.gifs Mama! I've been there. I'm currently back on the job after being laid off for almost 6 months. I hope this doesn't come off as too "Pollyanna" but if you're anything like me (bit of a work-a-holic, worked all my adult life with little vacation) the lay-off time can be something of a blessing. I used the time to re-connect with myself, get healthy and find out who I was when I wasn't behind a desk. I realized that I had let work assume a far greater importance in my life that it deserved. By the time I got hired back I was 40lbs. lighter and a much happier, much more relaxed person.

I hope you might also find some benefit in the time off and are welcomed back to your job soon.

Up