Nanny to preschool teacher? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been a FT nanny for two years, to one family. The baby, A, is now 2.75 yrs, and her parents want to send her to preschool in January. I take my 16 month old to work with me. The family wants me to go PT, picking up A at 12pm and working until 5.30pm. This is until May, when the mom will be finished school, and home FT for a few months, so I'll be out of a job.

I can't really afford to go PT, but I am looking forward to having my mornings free with just DD. The two girls together fight ALL the time, but are cute as can be when they are alone or with other kids.

I don't want to find another nanny family. I feel like I'll be short-changing someone, and since I don't want to nanny forever, I would rather find a job that is more related to a further career. I am thinking of becoming a preschool teacher. Although, I don't think my DD will be able to see me then, any more than she would if I had any other job, since she would probably be in a different classroom?

Do preschool teachers get free care for their children if they bring them? How about Montessori teachers? Summers off? I can't seem to find that information when looking online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM

In my area, many preschool teachers are trying to become nannies. The pay for a nanny is the same or better, care is free for a nanny's own kids, but usually only reduced for preschool teachers (or sometimes full price). Day's off are more often paid for nannies, and the responsibilities are less. (2 or 3 kids vs. 12 to 15 at a preschool.). Don't know how it is where you are, but that would be an odd move in our area.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM

It's really depends on the school you work for, as far as benefits and classroom placement for your DD.  I was a 0-3 Montessori teacher before having my first baby, and when she was a year old I went back to work (only lasted 4 mos. before I quit).  She was in another room - that was school policy, all teachers/assistants had their kids in different classrooms - and I got a discount on her tuition.  I was still paying $600 a month, which was quite a bit of my paycheck since daycare/preschools, even Montessori, don't tend to pay very well.  I think most nanny gigs would pay better, to be honest.  For me, it was really hard to work with toddlers all day long and then come home and give my daughter plenty of attention at night.  It was draining, to be honest, and I hated knowing that I was stuck teaching/taking care of other people's kids all day while someone else was watching mine.  That's just me, though, and I was happier once I quit to be a SAHM again.  I really only went back to try to fulfill my contract with the company, as they had invested a lot of money for my CDA and Montessori training (2.5 years worth of schooling plus a monthly stipend). 

That all said, it might be something that works out for you, so if it interests you, it might be worth a try. 

Another idea is doing daycare in your own home.  There are a lot of benefits to that over working for someone else taking care of kids, IMO. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 01:20 PM

DW is a nanny. She would never, ever, ever in a million years transition from that to preschool teacher! NEVER! Seriously, the nanny job is so ideal, depending on the good family match. It sounds like you're having a tough time with your child and their child together, and the job is rocky, so that may be coloring your ideas of the job in general and making you hope for a change.  But it really can be great! DW takes our daughter to work with her and the two girls get along like angels! The are full of smiles and kisses all day long! 

You might think about moving to a household manager type nanny position if you're looking for upward mobility in the nanny career. This would include grocery shopping, overseeing household staff, managing service people who come to the house, etc. 

In our area preschool teachers make horrible pay, are under-valued, are generally unhappy in their jobs, and wish they could find a good match to be a nanny. 

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#5 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM

I did the switch... I nannied for three years for an amazing family, but when we moved to NJ, worked for a few months with a family that wasn't so great. I'd had a little preschool experience under my belt- was an assistant for a few years out of high school- and when I saw an opening in the area, interviewed and got the job. I loved my kids, and while it was nice having some adult interaction with coworkers (and parents- I made some great friends in some of the parents), I missed nannying, a lot. That school does allow teachers' children to enroll for free, but they aren't allowed in the same rooms. I left when I had my baby, because I wasn't crazy about the infant room there, and will be starting in a few weeks as a part-time teacher in an infant room- my son will be in the same room with me, and at no cost, but this is very rare. Before I got this job, I was looking for nanny positions, but had a hard time finding families who would be okay with me bringing my son. I also had to think about whether some positions would be fair to him- many people in this area commute into NYC, and so needed nannies from, say, 6:30am to 7pm... I'd have to wake him up to make it on time, and put him to bed as soon as we got home.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. What I'm trying to say is that it is possible to make the switch, but you likely won't be able to be in the same room as your daughter, though you would likely get several opportunities to see her during the day. Summers off would depend on the school. The pay is (much) less... But teaching preschool is just as rewarding, and as crazy as it gets, it's a lot of fun :)

#6 of 6 Old 11-28-2010, 11:20 AM

I've never nannied, but I am a preschool teacher.  I think the pay is going to vary on your qualifications and where you work.  I have a bachelor's degree and work at a public charter school.  My pay is similar to the other teachers' pay, however I only work part-time (by choice).  I assume that I would be paid a lower hourly rate if I was working at a daycare or private preschool. I didn't start working until after my children were in school, but if I had little ones I would've had to put them in daycare while I'm at work.  I LOVE my job, but I do think it would've been really difficult for me to be with preschoolers all day at work and then come home to a child of the same age. 

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page