Did I royally screw up my chances to get this job?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for a new job and had three interviews within the past two days.  The last interview that I had yesterday was the best one.  I really like what the job offers, what I can do for the company, etc., etc.,  So when I got back to my computer, I sent a thank you email to the person that contacted me intially about the job and who I also met with as well (and turns out, the person that I'll be replacing).  I re-read the email a couple of times before I sent it out, all looked fine, but had viewed it again after I had sent it and I misused a couple of words.  I haven't received a response to the questions that I also included in the email.  I not only did this for this job but also for the job that I interviewed for yesterday morning as well.  That email looked fine.  She must've been busy?  I did put together thank you cards last night to be sent out today.  All of the jobs that I've met with are wanting to make a decision by the beginning of December and that doesn't leave much time seeing that the Thanksgiving holiday is next week.....

Ugh.  So do you think I've royally screwed up my chances?  A friend of mine seems to think that they'll see that it's just email and that it's casual and with the thank you card, that's more formal. 

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't think you messed up. Sure, it'd be nice to look back & see a perfectly crafted email, but no one's perfect -- it happens!

Do you include your questions or similar follow-up message in the thank-you notes? You don't want to be too repetitive, but I think if you reiterate the important points in the actual notes, that'll be the clincher. Plus, they'll see these notes after the email is a distant memory (but hopefully before the holiday), so in that sense, your last impression will be something you're more confident about.

And I wouldn't read too much into the lack of response so far. Some people are just bad with email & while it's annoying when you're anxiously waiting to hear back from someone, it's usually not an indicator that someone is intentionally ignoring you. Everyone's busy & has their own priorities.

Good luck!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#3 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2009 View Post

I don't think you messed up. Sure, it'd be nice to look back & see a perfectly crafted email, but no one's perfect -- it happens!

Do you include your questions or similar follow-up message in the thank-you notes? You don't want to be too repetitive, but I think if you reiterate the important points in the actual notes, that'll be the clincher. Plus, they'll see these notes after the email is a distant memory (but hopefully before the holiday), so in that sense, your last impression will be something you're more confident about.

And I wouldn't read too much into the lack of response so far. Some people are just bad with email & while it's annoying when you're anxiously waiting to hear back from someone, it's usually not an indicator that someone is intentionally ignoring you. Everyone's busy & has their own priorities.

Good luck!

Yes, I did reiterate thanking them for their time and all of that good stuff, but didn't have enough room to ask the questions that I failed to ask during the interview yesterday which was about benefits and such.  But I think I got my point across. ;)

I also had to call her to confirm the last name of one of the owners that I met with and the convo was short and sweet.... I think my emotions got the best of me and I just became nervous.

The whole waiting game is so nerve racking.   

#4 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM

In my experience the post-interview thank you emails often don't get a response (the process of trying to hire someone is pretty time consuming I'd guess).  That doesn't mean they're not noticed though.  Crossing fingers for you!

#5 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post

In my experience the post-interview thank you emails often don't get a response (the process of trying to hire someone is pretty time consuming I'd guess).  That doesn't mean they're not noticed though.  Crossing fingers for you!

Yeah, that makes sense.  Here's what I typed and you all can let me know if it looks like a big deal to you:

Hi Karen -

A big thank you to you and Dana for taking the time out of your busy schedules to meet with me today.  I felt like the meeting with extremely well and I also feel like this job would be a great fit me and as well as the company. 

There are a couple of questions that escaped my mind during the interview that I would like to ask.  One is about benefits - what kind does Spectrum offer?  Two, how much is paid by the company/employee?  And three, do they offer vacation/sick days?

Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with you again soon!!

#6 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post

Quote:

Yeah, that makes sense.  Here's what I typed and you all can let me know if it looks like a big deal to you:

Hi Karen -

A big thank you to you and Dana for taking the time out of your busy schedules to meet with me today.  I felt like the meeting with extremely well and I also feel like this job would be a great fit me and as well as the company. 

There are a couple of questions that escaped my mind during the interview that I would like to ask.  One is about benefits - what kind does Spectrum offer?  Two, how much is paid by the company/employee?  And three, do they offer vacation/sick days?

Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with you again soon!!

First, I really hope you get the job!

Second, I think it really depends what the job is about. If it's a detail-oriented job that involves writing or customer service it is possible that the email will lower (not eliminate) your chances. If I were hiring at my workplace (editorial) it would impact my view. But if it's a more technical job they may well just let it go. They may just skim the mail and not really catch the errors. And they may have decided on you already after your interview.

Sorry to be the reality check today...if you don't get this one, just slow down a bit before hitting send! If you want some support, I once sent a cover letter for an editorial position I really wanted, so I gushed a little - and when I re-read it there were a couple of glaring errors, and I never even got an interview. Some EDITOR. I think I'm blushing just thinking about it.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#7 of 14 Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 PM

OK, I read your post where you had the mistakes  3 times before I saw the first one, and 4 before I saw the second. I'm a very top-down reader. Some of my colleagues would have been all over it, but it's not an egregious error, IMO.

My only suggestion, should you not get the job and be in the position of sending out another interview thank you is to ditch the line "I felt like the meeting with extremely well".   The sentence would have been stronger with "I feel like this job would be a great fit for me and as well as the company."

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 14 Old 11-20-2010, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice and reassurance.  If it was meant to be, I'll get a call.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks again, mamas. ;)

#9 of 14 Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

OK, I read your post where you had the mistakes  3 times before I saw the first one, and 4 before I saw the second. I'm a very top-down reader. Some of my colleagues would have been all over it, but it's not an egregious error, IMO.

I agree. I caught the errors immediately, but I know my husband wouldn't. He doesn't "read for errors" in that way.

I will say, though, that my husband, who does interviewing and hiring for his team, would not answer your questions in an email. He just wouldn't have time to go into those things via email with you because you'd get passed off to HR later. So they may not have answered because they haven't had time or they've forwarded the email.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#10 of 14 Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:

my experience too.  doesn't mean anything to not get a response...

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#11 of 14 Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Just as an FYI, the career-search class I took in college said to never ask about benefits until an offer was on the table. If you can't find the info on the company's website, it's best just to wait until they've made an offer. Annoying, to be sure, but the instructor said it was important to not sound interested only in what the company can do for you.

I hope you get the job!

#12 of 14 Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Update - this is the repoinse that I received today:

Jennifer,

I wanted to thank you for interviewing with us, and to let you know that after further deliberation, we have decided to delay the hiring for the office manager position and revisit it in the Spring.  I also wanted to let you know that you were our top candidate, so if for some reason you are still looking toward Spring 2011, please contact us at that time.  I am sorry for this turn of events, I just found out today that they wanted to postpone the hiring. 

I appreciate your taking the time to interview with us, and best wishes in your job search.

Should I take this as a cop out or really hold off until next Spring???

#13 of 14 Old 11-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Bummer!  I would keep looking for a job.  I don't think this was a cop out since they are saying that they will be looking in the spring and that they would be interested in you at that time.  But, you probably need a job since you were looking at this one so I would keep looking.  This was a good practice run and hopefully an even better job comes along.  If not, you can always keep an eye out for this position in the spring. 

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#14 of 14 Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM

i agree - i think, keep looking, but check back in the spring.  so sorry!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page