How far in advance would you start applying for jobs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am planning to move to a new city (90 minutes from here) on March 1st. I'd love to have a job ready to start then. I'm not sure how far in advance I should start applying. I'm really nervous because I graduate as a medical assistant (AAS degree) February 15th, so it'll be hard already because I'll be a new grad, plus I'll be 8 months pregnant when I'll be interviewing. I'm hoping to find somewhere to work until the baby's born, then go back to after 8 weeks of maternity leave.

So if you were looking to have a job you could start on March 1st, when would you start putting in applications? Is it at all feasible to try and get a job right after graduation AND pregnant?

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd apply now, especially if you're looking for any type of gov't/VA/etc job.  They can take from 6 months to a year to get going.  Also, I can't imagine anyone is going to hire someone who's going to be there for a month, and then gone for 2. :(

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney-Ostaff View Post

Also, I can't imagine anyone is going to hire someone who's going to be there for a month, and then gone for 2. :(

Yeah, that's the really sucky part. I figure it will be just as bad trying to find a job after that, when they ask why I graduated 3 months ago and haven't been working and I say I've been on maternity leave. Either way it's going to be difficult.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Don't say you've been on maternity leave. They don't need to know. Just say you were taking a break after school. :)  

Part-time WAHM. Live with my workaholic mother, my over-worked husband, and wonderful daughter born in '07.
#5 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Maybe you can work with a temp agency until you give birth and find a permanent job for after.

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#6 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

Maybe you can work with a temp agency until you give birth and find a permanent job for after.

I think this is your best plan. You generally can get a job through a temp agency within a week or 2, so you don't have to start applying yet. I agree that few employers will be keen on hiring someone for one month and then have them gone for 2 months.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#7 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

That is a good idea. I never thought about it.

#8 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Another bonus about the temp agency is that you get to see what different work environments are like.  It will defiintely help you adapt to changing and challenging situations once you land a permanent job.  In addition, if you don't feel well on one day or have a doctor's appointment, you just tell the agency you aren't available. I did a stint with a temp agency for a bit after graduate school and count is one of the best things I ever did.

Courtney-Ostaff likes this.
#9 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Temp agency is a great idea. I did that for a year or so at one point, and it was fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page