Does anyone feel like doing a critique of my resume? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am so... blah.

Due to health issues I wanted to have kids early so I didn't concentrate on building a career before babies.  I went to college, graduated, held a couple of nothing jobs, and then was pregnant and a SAHM.  Took a few graduate courses but nothing to write home about (i'm not in a graduate program anymore, left school on decent but not perfect terms in the middle of a semester, etc.)

Well, lo and behold... the floor fell out from under me, and now I'm a single mommy to two preschoolers.  At this point there isn't even any child support coming in.  I NEED a job ASAP. 

But I haven't had a paycheck in like 5 years and nothing before that was especially stellar either.  The closest I got to a "real" job was actually an internship at a fancy-schmancy publishing company, then a few receptionist type jobs, then nothing.  Crickets.

I'm looking for some kind of receptionist job or something like that right now.  I don't know what to expect.  I really would prefer to not do anything retail related but I need a job like yesterday.  And we don't live in or near a major metropolitan area either so I'm guessing the jobs here are going to be a little teensy bit limited.

There are job placement services here for low-income people like myself, but they very nicely told me that they don't usually work with people who actually have bachelor's degrees and beyond - they're more geared towards GED and high school grads.

I wrote up a resume tonight and am going to be giving it to everyone and their mother in the next week or two.  But it's been so long since I wrote up a resume that I'm kind of, uh, blah about it.  It was never my strong suit anyway even in the best of times.

Could anyone read and (gently) make suggestions on how to improve it?

Pretty please with sprinkles on top?  <3

#2 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM

PM it to me and I will look it over for you.  I do a ton of editing in my job so I used to looking over paperwork and helping improve it.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#3 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks!! :)

#4 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 PM

This isn't resume help, but who do you KNOW?  Do you know anyone who works in an office?  Do you know someone who works for a large company?  The BEST way to find a job is to network and talk to people who know people, and talk to more people.

Family members are great to network with, friends, acquaintances, anyone who knows you well enough to speak about how organized, responsible, on time, etc.

Good luck!!!  (I'd help with your resume, but mine is far from perfect and I'd hate to give you bad advice!!)

#5 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know anyone.  I don't have any family.  I had a couple of friends but they were military and all moved away.

What's sucky is that I can't find a job because one or both of my two kids are constantly sick.  They've been in daycare for a month now and at least half the days they were there (they're supposed to be full time) I'm called in because they're sick, and then I can't take them back for x amount of days.  Today was another, so it looks like they can't go back until Thursday now.  How am I supposed to set up an interview and even land a job if I'm constantly being called by the daycare?  Argh.  And my state childcare is going to run out in like.. two weeks, if I don't find a job.

Not to mention I have to now find a job that makes 11 an hour or less (good grief) or else I lose the CCCAP.  If I get a job that makes, say, 15 an hour (typical around here for entry level with a degree) then I'd end up paying 1,500 a month in chilcare.  Netting me about 8000 a year for working full time.  BS.

I'm so down today - not to mention I have bronchitis, they cancelled my health insurance, my STBXH is pretty much MIA so I can't even get his signature I need to get heating assistance... my car is shot and took 7000 this month to repair, I am in debt for medical bills from a miscarriage, with about 10,000 in hospital bills in collections... I have about 200 dollars left to my name and no way of getting a job any time soon.  And bills due, did I mention that?  I am so down right now that I want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Rant over.  I don't want to feel sorry for myself but today I am.  Not to mention the kids are now sickies too so it's gonna be a long night (and day tomorrow).  I had an almost-interview today but I couldn't make it because of being called to pick up the kids early.  And even if I do get hired... how long can I keep a job if I can't actually MAKE it into work because the kids are always sick?  (Have been since October, we all have.  Been to the doctor etc but we're just not healing.  It's probably the stress.)

#6 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM

Hugs to you!  It stinks that you are in this position, but you will prevail.   Take care of yourself and your kids, work on sending out tons of resumes to every place you can think, and try to remember that this is a season and you are progressing to better things.  It will get better.  You will find a job, your kids will not always be sick...this too shall pass.  It sounds like you have weathered a great deals of storms already and you can make it through this one as well.

candycat likes this.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#7 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Network.  Start talking to people at the daycare center - at pick up and drop off.  What are the standards for sick kids at your daycare?  I'm a bad mom, but I send my son if he has a little cold, runny nose, as long as he doesn't have a fever or puking, or diarrhea.  If they didn't let me send him with a runny nose, well, I'd never make it to school or work either. 

Look for back-up care in case of sick kids.  Do you not have family at all, or just not nearby?  Are you getting any child support?  If not, you need to see about getting that taken care of ASAP - it shoudl be ordered in a temp order while you want for divorce proceedings, etc to go through.  Your ex should also be responsible for half the daycare.  be back later to say more.

#8 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

I don't have any family.  At all.  No siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents... nothing.

The reason the kids get sent home is cos they're always throwing up or start running a fever or get diarrhea.  I have no idea how/why.  DD was fine this morning, 100% - they said she was running a fever so I came to pick her up.  I bring her home, and she's fine again, no fever.  I dunno what gives.

I'm not getting any child support.  I'm supposed to be getting like, $400 a month, but I'm not.  STBXH is losing his job and moving back in with his mother and not planning on working.  (He was unemployed for 5 years, then got a job, moved out with his first paycheck, and then LOST the job and can no longer afford his apartment).  Best case scenario he'll be getting 1200 a month for disability (although they might cancel that too).  Damned if he's going to somehow be ordered to pay for half the childcare costs plus child support from that amount.

=(

#9 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Are there any childcare centers that take mildly ill children in your area? I have a back up for occasional care that takes sick kids.

And, honestly, I'd say if you have an interview, don't answer the phone and just go. Let them leave a message.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page